Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devils work

+22
BanditDave
car_ham
Kaupy1962
Mpottsy
johnpom
geekay007
Four40
Re-Cycled
reddog
dhula
Bandit Tourist
Mars
kewwig
holdenman
Saikhan
2010banditsa
jaba01
Freeway
2wheelsagain
Dekenai
Reardo
gus
26 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Devils work - Page 2 Empty Devils work

Post  gus Sun 13 Mar 2011, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

I couldnt help it ! I know i'm weak ,the devil made me do it .I pulled them OUT.
Extraction tool please.
Devils work - Page 2 IMG_1739
3 mins later
Devils work - Page 2 IMG_1741
Handy hint: After pulling airbox back,insert 2 bolts in holes and attach to occky strap to keep it pulled back out of the way.
Devils work - Page 2 IMG_1742
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Devils work - Page 2 Empty Re: Devils work

Post  kewwig Sun 24 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

it's pouring with rain, the kids were in bed, so I thought, secondaries here I come. Applied heat, stripped the first screw head, ruined the only number 0 screwdriver I had, threw my toys and drilled the bastards out. I have fully opened my airbox, and set it to Dale's Stage II magic recipe.

No more surging/jerking nastiness at low revs. Completely smooth to stall speeds, lifts the front wheel in 1st and second and howls like a banshee to red line. Feels MUCH faster, but the thing I like is the smooth running. I can't wait till it stops raining and I can give it a good test. No going back from this one.

It feels like a carburetted bike now.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 24 Apr 2011, 3:53 pm

Who's next? .We all agree its smoother and better power delivery . Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Sun 24 Apr 2011, 4:01 pm

Am thinking about it. Bike is only 4 months old.....What you reckon :scratch

Would enable the step up to Dale's Stage II bounce
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 24 Apr 2011, 4:22 pm

Do it . Take your time on a rainy day. Use a new Screwdriver ."0"

No one was more sceptical than me. Now its my favourite Mod. because it works.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 24 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

Gus, am booked for the Canberra Riders dyno day 15 May and as God is my witness I will have them out by then!
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 24 Apr 2011, 5:20 pm

Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Devils work - Page 2 Empty Air Box Cover Mod.

Post  Bandit Tourist Sun 24 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

After servicing the Beautiful Lady in corner of my shed one day. I noticed while looking deep into her Throttle Body with her air filter removed that the total area of the air intake tubes was far greater than the area on the outside of the air filter. There was a rubber snorkel which was easily removed. But I still felt there was not enough area to draw air into the standard filter. So you know what its like your home alone with sexist motorcycle in the world and she's yelling for more. Out came the cordless drill and a 32mm hole saw and drilled four hole in the air box cover. Afterwards I thought what have I done. I'ts probably going to fill the air filter with water when it rains now. Well no such thing, the performance is marginly better, I even got all anal about checking my fuel econemy but that only lasted about 100ks and I lost my head when some Harpo The Clown on a sports bike through down a challenge. My girl never disgraces herself and sports bike guys just don't get ABS do they? The Bandit certainly sounds more throater. In the end I feel its made a big enough difference to warrant doing the mode. Have I carried out such Pagon activity as removing the second set of butterflys. I think that would be messing with my girls mind.
Bandit Tourist
Bandit Tourist

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 25 Apr 2011, 6:06 am

I'd fit a TFI or PowerCommander to make sure you get more fuel. Opening the airbox and removing the secondaries without adding fuel will make it run pretty lean. A slip on and a TFI will give you a good 15 -17Hp.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:14 am

I cant wait to have a decent garage to work in Sad
I could pay someone to do it Shocked

Has anyone done a before and after dyno run with just the secondries done?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

No. But if you didnt like it you could put them back in. Go on,you know your busting to try it. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Devils work - Page 2 Empty Messin' with her mind.

Post  Bandit Tourist Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:59 am

Guys I think the point your missing is, when there are variations in fuel to air mixture the EFI Controller will make an adjustment to return the mixture to the required ratio. Now here is the problem, the factory after much testing only give the EFI Controller a very narrow band of adjustment becase they have to build bikes that suit a broad range of owners and applications. So therefore your bikes mind is fairly narrow when it comes to deviation from its original purpose. Maybe carrying out pagon activity ie remove parts of the air control system is beyond that narrow window of opportunity. I guessing that if you gained any benefit somewhere in the torque curve you lost something somewhere else.
Bandit Tourist
Bandit Tourist

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Mon 25 Apr 2011, 10:51 am

Kewwig

What is this rain substance you talk of?

Go the Secondarectomies...................! Twisted Evil
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 25 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

What do you mean - It rained at my place yesterday, I saw it I tells ya - no really I did.

Yes there was a rotund pink flying thing with a curly tail as well

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 25 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

jaba01 wrote:Kewwig

"Rain" is a song written and performed by Creed. It is their second single from their 2009 album, Full Circle.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_(Creed_song)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 25 Apr 2011, 6:55 pm

Bandit Tourist wrote:Guys I think the point your missing is, when there are variations in fuel to air mixture the EFI Controller will make an adjustment to return the mixture to the required ratio. Now here is the problem, the factory after much testing only give the EFI Controller a very narrow band of adjustment becase they have to build bikes that suit a broad range of owners and applications. So therefore your bikes mind is fairly narrow when it comes to deviation from its original purpose. Maybe carrying out pagon activity ie remove parts of the air control system is beyond that narrow window of opportunity. I guessing that if you gained any benefit somewhere in the torque curve you lost something somewhere else.

I agree, which is why I use a Dobeck TFI box which piggybacks on Suzuki's ECU to allow the injectors to apply more fuel at the appropriate parts of the fuel/air range according to throttle opening. Opening the stock system up with pipes, airbox and filter modifications and removal of the secondaries without adding more fuel can set up lean running and more issues.

My bike is now set up to Stage II Dale Walker, and I can tell you now that there's no loss in power (up about 17Hp), torque (up as well) as well as an incredible increase in throttle response and rideability that doesn't show on the dyno charts but really makes the bike perform as it should. I like it a lot. The other thing I like is that I have learned a lot by doing this, and am secure knowing there's experts out there like Dale Walker who have proven solutions, so we aren't ruining our bikes trying things out. I expect that I will pay the price with higher fuel consumption (mainly because the performance is so good you just enjoy the acceleration). I don't care about the fuel, as if I was sensible I'd ride a 250.

The Bandit is great stock, but I was always frustrated by poor low speed/low RPM running, which is now completely fixed. Fortunately the first owner added a pipe, ATRE and filter, so the TFI was a cheap option for me.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 25 Apr 2011, 6:56 pm

You may be right B.T. which is why i run a standard Air Filter. Secondaries,K@N ,Pipe may be to much .

If i was to buy a new Bandit the Secondaries would be out that afternoon.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 25 Apr 2011, 7:06 pm

Gus.. mines stock Smile do you want to send the soldering iron and screw driver? jk

I do need to take my throttle bodies off as I have a slight fuel leak on the right hand rubber boot that joins the throttle body to the motor. I'm thinking I need to shave a bit off the spacer so I can tighten it a bit more. Will remove secondaries at same time.

Good post Gus. How's the fuel economy now?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 25 Apr 2011, 7:31 pm

Well it wont be better but the smile's bigger. No idea, i havnt bothered to check it .Not much differance i expect .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 25 Apr 2011, 7:40 pm

I think the biggest difference, dyno charts and outright power aside, it the much improved smoothness and throttle response. That alone made it a worthwhile exercise for me. (The grunt improvement is just a bonus)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm

kewwig wrote:
jaba01 wrote:Kewwig

"Rain" is a song written and performed by Creed. It is their second single from their 2009 album, Full Circle.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_(Creed_song)

Creed? I'm shocked Shocked see.

Rain is a song by Status Quo but more importantly Dragon (KIWI band adopted by Australia)

Actually rain is a substance we've had a good supply of around here, ever since I bought a road bike. Mad

Like now:

Devils work - Page 2 Radar10

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:56 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:

Rain is a song by Status Quo but more importantly Dragon (KIWI band adopted by Australia)
We're on the same wave length RE Dragon's version of Rain. Wink Also, chuck in some CCR, Who'll Stop the Rain & Have You Ever Seen The Rain Very Happy
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:56 pm

Good to hear!

BTW the plug looks fine.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:09 pm

Since i had the tank off today i decided i may as well do a 36,000 valve check. That of cause involved pulling all four plugs .
All four running a nice tan colour in fact what i'd call " spot on". All valve's within spec. so all is good .I didnt even have any pieces left over . Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

gus wrote:Since i had the tank off today i decided i may as well do a 36,000 valve check. That of cause involved pulling all four plugs .
All four running a nice tan colour in fact what i'd call " spot on". All valve's within spec. so all is good .I didnt even have any pieces left over . Very Happy

Have you had to replace any shims at any stage? Trolling the various forums doesn't show many (if any) who ever have to replace shims.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 26 Apr 2011, 8:24 pm

I've asked more than once if anyone has had to change a shim .So far no one has put there hand up.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next