Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Pump Fix

+59
GSX1100G
Meatbix
LittleJohnny
captbruce
Chancho196
bigboresuzuki
NZspokes
BanditDave
truck
Nic 2
Chettlingham
Maxwell55
FrankenFairing
jopawa
spanna
#Tag
Chook
Craig67
Kiwisteve
Hammy
geekay007
potatomasher
Snorse
jstava
pspittle
TropoBone
edwinchan88
Blueknight
Cameron
reddog
sb1250
Jonno12345
suzbandit
holdenman
paul
grahame
SkyGoddess
Dekenai
tailights
Turdfarmers
Kaupy1962
Phill
Warwick
Four40
08k8
Thof
2wheelsagain
jaba01
Mpottsy
dhula
Fossil
Boatz
Baz
grumpy60
scopebud
Ewok1958
matt
Re-Cycled
gus
63 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty Fuel Pump Fix

Post  gus Thu 26 May 2011, 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

After 4 days trying to fix my ruining problems of no power, top speed of 10 kph OR 110 kph and no acceleration. I traced the fault to the fuel pump assembly. Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't. Pressure was either good or poor. It looked like a dodgy fuel pump which Suzuki want $700. If i had taken it to a dealer they would have replaced the assembly which would have fixed the problem but cost me $1000.

I'm unemployed at the moment so that was out of the question. I doubt VERY much I'm the only person to have this problem in the past
or future.

Photos and instructions following Smile

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Split photos from opening post to make page scrolling easier)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Fix

Post  grahame Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

Good job gus
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty fuel pump fix

Post  paul Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

good job Gus but I wonder whether this is a Suzuki problem or a fuel supplier /or type of fuel of problem .I realize yours isnt the only one but there are thousands of others that dont have this problem . ( good to know there is an cheaper fix if it happens )I sometimes wonder about the fuels of today & apart from the subsidies from the supermarkets what other ways they use to cut corners to make up the money they are losing .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sat 05 Nov 2011, 5:27 pm

I use 98 all the time ( i dont need everyone saying I dont need it, my choice) and im now up to 49000km and i havent had a drama. Couple of things i never run the tank empty. it is always filled after a ride. it always has 98 fuel. I shown the torch in the tank after a couple of guys talking bout rust and my tank is perfect and i havent changed filter either

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

Well, my new fuel strainer has only given me temporary relief, have put a couple of thousand k's on and now back to not getting over 4.5-5K. So went back in to have another look at the strainer Gus identified, blew it out again and a bunch of black gunk came out. Did the thing with the piece of wire and then flushed out with carb cleaner, more black gunk. So, reassembled and got to redline in 2nd Smile . Hopefully that's it, time will tell.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  suzbandit Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

After sticking a new filter in and doing Gus's trick with the copper wire reassembled the pump etc and stuck it back in the tank. I had repainted the tank internally after finding rust in there. Getting back on the road last weekend, and putting about 600 klm on the clock over the two days, I had this nagging feeling that I only had about 90% of the power available. Crying or Very sad At about 3700 revs you have peak torque available but it just didn't seem to be there. A strong surge rather then that kick up the arse feeling. Pulled the pump assembly out again this morning and decided to reverse flush the system. I stripped the assembly down to what you see in Gus's top picture. Basically the frame and the plastic bit with the internal strainer still on it.
I then half filled a plastic tube(1/2 mtr), to go onto the steel outgoing pipe on the outside of the plate, with fuel. Half fill the tube before you put it on the steel tube otherwise it won't fill. Clamped this lot by the base plate into a vice. I then stuck the fine nozzle of the compressor into the other end of the plastic tube and gave it a blow forcing the fuel back through the strainer and hopefully cleaning it. Have a glass jar or similar covering where the fuel comes out so you can see what you have blown out. In my case plenty of small bits of I don't know what and brown coloured fuel. I did repeat this until I only found clean fuel. Reassembled the unit and dunked the fuel pump into a large jar of fuel and pumped fuel into another jar using Gus's long wires(thanks again Gus) system. I did it outside just in case..... It pumped sufficient, uninterupted, fuel to keep a 747 off the ground. Reinstalled the unit into the tank and went for a test ride. I'm getting kicked up the arse again cheers

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

Up at Suzuki HQ, someone in sales is gonna detect that they're not selling as many fuel pumps as they used to......Laughing Laughing
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty Tassie Trip

Post  tailights Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

After Suzuki supplied a new fuel pump assembly under warranty i once again set off for Tassie via Vic High country. 6071 kms all up & not a hint of trouble. Bandit went like stink. Lot happier now, hopefully problem won't re-occur & if it does i now know what 2 do thanks to gus. Cheers

tailights

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno12345 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

Hi guys,

I have the 650 water boiler, seems absolutely fine at a full tank of fuel, but about half a tank or below it begins to struggle and feel lumpy, stops accelerating at full throttle (accelerates up to about half throttle fine, then just stops, or accelerates a little and jumps around)... Has anyone else had these symptoms? Could it be related to this do you think?

Thanks,

Jonno12345

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:11 am

Sounds similar ,sometimes mine would work fine ,then play up .Hard to find a fault like that .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno12345 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

I don't suppose you found fuel level made a difference? Or throttle amount? Like I say, it's absolutely fine at full fuel, and still pulls well up to half throttle normally even when it is playing up.

I'm running out of ideas, so when my tanks nearer empty I'll give this a try. Smile

Jonno12345

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

I was running on small amounts of fuel because tank was coming off all the time .
If your bike runs this type of system then its a "must do" . Costs nothing so nothing to loose except poor running .Leave the "tea bag " filter
OFF for a small run to eliminate that .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno12345 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

Damn good ideas sir. I shall give this a go as soon as possible. Do I need to buy any gaskets/o-rings/seals or anything in advance?

Jonno12345

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

No , its straight forward .Getting the plastic body off the steel exit line can take a bit of force .WD 40 helps it to seperate .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

Has anyone found out if the housing with the troublesome filter is available as a part? or is it sold as a component of the fuel pump assembly?

Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

I think it is sold as one part . I have been tempted to poke a 5 mm hole straight through the screen to bypass it .
It seems to catch something in the fuel and when it has enough turn it into a varnish .A bit like salt in water.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

Looks like its the ref no. 8 fuel pressure regulator assembly. You get the housing, the pressure regulator valve and an O-ring, cost is about $180,

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 B1250FuelSupplySystem
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:43 pm

With a screen that doesnt work properly ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:58 pm

You have to think that anything in the tank should be stopped by the intake filter and the screen is just there to protect the system in case the pump itself drops its guts, but you are right something does not add up. Mine had only done about 7 - 8000K's when I started to have issues.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:11 pm

Its a shame you carnt get to the screen to see what the mesh looks like .Its hard to imagine its finer than the "tea bag " one . Perhaps there
is (was) something in the pump itself that after time gets washed through the strainer .Its already passed the 'tea bag' on assembly .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty fuel pump fix

Post  paul Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:04 pm

gus wrote:Its a shame you carnt get to the screen to see what the mesh looks like .Its hard to imagine its finer than the "tea bag " one . Perhaps there
is (was) something in the pump itself that after time gets washed through the strainer .Its already passed the 'tea bag' on assembly .

you would like to think not but maybe something in there does dissolve & is causing a problem / does the year of the bikes make any difference ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

No idea. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

I think you guys would do well to look at DHULA's post on page 3 with a link to the Vstrom forum and take a leaf out of their book, do away with the filter on the output side of the fuel pump (they by-passed it) and fit a cheap external filter. Sounds like fun, almost makes me wish I had a fuel pump. lol! Not really.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

Smartass . Razz lol!
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 3 Empty Re: Fuel pump fix

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

Yep. That time again. Started the Bandit to go home from work last night and there it was, the familiar sound of fuel pump squeal. Pulled the pump out this morning and checked the filters and sure as eggs come from chickens, Black crud clogging the filters again. It must be crap out of the servo's tanks. I only use 98ron from either Caltex or BP. Anyone know how much a new tea bag costs?
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:30 am

A few questions to those who have done guru Gus' pump fix........
Other than the copper wire, can this job be done with the tools in the Bandits tool bag?
Once the tank has been removed from the bike and tipped upside down to get to the offending pump - will fuel piss out of the filler cap?
Im asking this coz I'd like to be prepared for a roadside repair if I have to!

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250