Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Pump Fix

+59
GSX1100G
Meatbix
LittleJohnny
captbruce
Chancho196
bigboresuzuki
NZspokes
BanditDave
truck
Nic 2
Chettlingham
Maxwell55
FrankenFairing
jopawa
spanna
#Tag
Chook
Craig67
Kiwisteve
Hammy
geekay007
potatomasher
Snorse
jstava
pspittle
TropoBone
edwinchan88
Blueknight
Cameron
reddog
sb1250
Jonno12345
suzbandit
holdenman
paul
grahame
SkyGoddess
Dekenai
tailights
Turdfarmers
Kaupy1962
Phill
Warwick
Four40
08k8
Thof
2wheelsagain
jaba01
Mpottsy
dhula
Fossil
Boatz
Baz
grumpy60
scopebud
Ewok1958
matt
Re-Cycled
gus
63 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 2 Empty Fuel Pump Fix

Post  gus Thu 26 May 2011, 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

After 4 days trying to fix my ruining problems of no power, top speed of 10 kph OR 110 kph and no acceleration. I traced the fault to the fuel pump assembly. Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't. Pressure was either good or poor. It looked like a dodgy fuel pump which Suzuki want $700. If i had taken it to a dealer they would have replaced the assembly which would have fixed the problem but cost me $1000.

I'm unemployed at the moment so that was out of the question. I doubt VERY much I'm the only person to have this problem in the past
or future.

Photos and instructions following Smile

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Split photos from opening post to make page scrolling easier)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Fix

Post  Four40 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:47 pm

$44 for the fuel strainer. I either got the last one in stock at the suppliers or the last one in country? Just looking at the current one, it looks well used. Wonder why they don't have it on the service schedule??
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Apparently your new one will look like your old one as soon as fuel torch's it .Though it should filter better.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Warwick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:45 pm

Great diagnosis Gus - I think you may have just saved me $700. I have had the same problem which I have been chasing for weeks and would have bought a new pump this morning if they had'nt been on backorder!! After changing the fuel strainer twice at $45 a time I was suspecting the pump as well. Did your fix this morning and the bike goes fine at the moment.

The Suzuki workshop manual refers to this plastic housing as a "fuel filter" but never mentions it again and I did look from the top down there with a light for a filter but missed it.

Also the workshop manual has a big warning NOT to ever remove the fuel pressure regulator from this housing but I see from the photos you did and it has'nt seemed to matter to you so I don't know what their problem is. Can I also say that I found a piece of welding wire with a small 90 degree bend at the bottom, hammered flat like scraper seemed to clean the crud sucessfully.

I can't believe we are the only two to have had this problem and I can't find it mentioned elsewhere but I hope your fix saves others buying a new pump for nothing.

Once again - much appreciated!!!! With skills like that I hope you are not unemployed for long.

Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

If you take that plastic housing off the aluminum tube (just pressed on ,sealed with o-ring ) you can see the filter from underneath .Thing is it
looks pristine from that side .Keep us posted i'd be wrapped if it works.

I didnt see the dont remove part . Very Happy Replace the 2 small o-rings to be on the safe side 20c each from a bearing shop.Pump from wreckers
was $250 ,i priced it .Scary thing is it wont fix the problem if you only get the pump.

There is no way we are the only two. What a great money earner for the dealer .$700 for a filter clean.

What mileage do you have on your Bandit ? Mine 37.000 kls
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Warwick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

When I first looked at the plastic housing I had'nt removed it from the tank unit so I was only looking in from the top. It was'nt till I saw your solution I pulled it right apart and saw the filter from the bottom. As you say, just a pump will not fix this problem but I understand the "pump" from Suzuki is the complete tank unit - they don't sell just the pump.

My Bandit is a 2007 with 36,000K - I will let you know how it goes in the future.

Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

Thats interesting .I just went and checked my mileage .36,475 kls and i have done about 4oo kls since the problem "fix".
Same distance . Mmmmmm
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Warwick Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

Hey Gus _ Put about 350Ks on the bike today and it's running like new!!!!

Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

Thats great .I kind of forgot what it should run like .Now its back to " this thing moves ".
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Phill Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

Hi Gus, my brother has a DL650 that had a bad noise coming from his fuel pump, I told him to check out your thread. Although not same he said that your thread was great and hepled him sort out his problem, I am passing on his thanks to you for all your hard work, he said it was bloody great and thankyou very much!! By the way when the next scones ride? Very Happy

Phill
Phill
Phill

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

Good question .I have to go to hospital in 10 days for a small op, but will be out of action for a few weeks after that .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 2 Empty Bandit running like a snail no more

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 26 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

Hi guys. Bandit is now fixed and going like a bullet thanks to gus's fuel filter fix and the FI Tuner Pro. I pulled out the pump and checked the filter in the bypass. It's not a small filter in the hole but a mesh wall that divides one side from the other. After a lot of flushing and blowing out, I finally got it clean. The main pick-up filter was also black with crap. Now that it has clean fuel and a mapped exhaust it's put a smile so big on my face that I gotta watch out for bugs! Thanks to Gus and all of you. Stay safe.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 26 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

If (when) it happens to mine I'm going to send Gus $100 because I reckon that is a cheap fix.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

Just tell me truthfully ( i know you know ) if Aliens exist . Very Happy

More than happy the "fix " works for people .That makes the 5 days working on it worthwhile .Actually i hanvt change that tea-bag
fuel filter .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Warwick Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:01 pm

Just checkin back in Gus - have done about 2K now after performing your fix and have not had any sign of a problem. Thanks again!!!

Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

So is EVERYBODY"S Bandit slowly getting slower ? It must be a a slow build up of "crap ". Should it be cleaned every 10,000 kls .and therefore be
added to REGULAR MAINTENANCE ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

I know this doesn't quite relate to the bandit but the info on this thread could have a few ideas on how to improve things.

Haven't had a chance to compare apples with oranges yet so might not be anything either.

Not 100% sure if you need to register to see this thread, but I don't think so as I was looking at it without logging on.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

dhula wrote:I know this doesn't quite relate to the bandit but the info on this thread could have a few ideas on how to improve things.

Haven't had a chance to compare apples with oranges yet so might not be anything either.

Not 100% sure if you need to register to see this thread, but I don't think so as I was looking at it without logging on.

That was interesting, I liked the way they have a measurement of the fuel flow for a good bike, it would be good if someone could measure the amount pumped in a minute by a good bike as a base line. Sorry can't help, no fuel pump. Very Happy

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 2 Empty Bloody True Mate

Post  Turdfarmers Sun 24 Jul 2011, 5:39 am

Very Happy I've had the same problem and the same answer Gus buy a new fuel pump. Thanks Gus after my coffee I'm going to fix that pump.I would like to shout you a beer or two. Cheers Chris
The Mancave in Margate on MacDonnell Rd

Turdfarmers

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

Don't muck around fixing it - just buy a new pump - you know that Suzuki and the dealer needs the money. Laughing

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

Let us know if it works ahh Turd. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:46 am

I know this is going to sound self indulgent but this fuel pump fix seems to work . With so many new members over time its (the thread ) is slowly
going to slide down the chart and be lost to them .Non members will just not see it that far back . Would it be a good idea to make it a "sticky" ,is that how you say it ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:23 am

gus wrote:I know this is going to sound self indulgent but this fuel pump fix seems to work . With so many new members over time its (the thread ) is slowly
going to slide down the chart and be lost to them .Non members will just not see it that far back . Would it be a good idea to make it a "sticky" ,is that how you say it ?

Good call Gus. I agree. Send a PM to Cam mate in case he doesn't log on for a while.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Fix - Page 2 Empty Fuel pump hassles

Post  tailights Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

I have just left for a trip to tassie on bandit. Got about 200 kms into trip & bike started coughing & farting & could only get 80kph out the bitch!! So stopped at Pt Augusta pulled tank off and removed filter then tank back on. Bike went well for about 50kms then coughing again so last 250kms to adelaide at 70kph what a effin pain in the ass no new pumps in OZ 3 week wait. Got passed by boats caravans & even combi vans how humiliating. had to cancel tassie ferry booking accomodation etc. This has turned into trip from hell. Things had better go better next time or suzuki Oz will be getting a rocket up their u no what.javascript:javascript:emoticonp('Sad')emoticonp('Mad')

tailights

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

Mine was like that. I pulled it apart and looked at the screen Gus mentions and it was OK, so I re-assembled the fuel pump assy and blew everything out with compressed air along the way. Put it back together and it was a lot better but still not right. So I ordered a new filter ($45) and pulled it out again and re-installed a with the new filter. Now great, back to normal, it ran through 200 with nary a sign of letting up. I didn't expect it was the filter 'cos the bike has only 11500 kms, seems much too soon, but there you go, maybe I picked up a bad load sometime.

Smile
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyGoddess Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

On a 5 day tour with mulitple bikes and the trusty 1250SA Bandit couldn't keep up - very unusual. Gradual power loss over 2 days ended in a slow crawl into Grafton being overtaken by caravan's (how embarrassment). Great temporary repair from the brilliant folk at Grafton Motorcycles - thanks Darryl, (blocked fuel filter) but unfortunately, the next day, the flat patches during acceleration told me it still wasn't quite right. It just lacked the zing I was so familiar with. Handed it over to a dealer in Sydney, and it now needs a new fuel pump. About $800 all up to replace and fit, but a bit beyond my limited technical expertise to have a go myself.

The strainer was dirty too, but the tank was clean, so must have been a dirty fuel load from somewhere. I was advised by the service guy that there might be too much additive in 98 fuel because he sees this problem a lot with people who use it religiously (like me, based on previous advice).

I felt like I was nursing my wounded steed home. Will be pleased to have it zinging again.

SkyGoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next