Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I or Shouldn't I

+16
reddog
rolls
Dink.1170
Saikhan
Sloth_27
dhula
jaba01
potatomasher
b12mick
2wheelsagain
Re-Cycled
Cameron
Ewok1958
Reardo
whitey1
desdd99
20 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Empty Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

I hope that this post is going into the "Introduce Yourself" section, as I am not sure that I have done all the correct clicks.

Seriously thinking of buying a used Bandit 1259, One year old, 4000 kays, new rear tire, luggage rack, after market gear selection indicator,, retard (1st 3 gears) eliminator, tank protector - - - - Price $10,500 ??

My name is Des and I live in Mildura, soon to move beck to Brisbane. I've been reading some of the comments in here and I now know it is just the right bike for me, but I'm an old fella, not that experienced, and think maybe I should go for a smaller motor - like a 650 bandit. Not sure if there is a 750 Bandit or not. Previously owned a Kawisaki ER6-N 650 twin in line. From what I gather from you guys the Bandit will be a lot better and more comfortable. - - - Love to hear your advice - er - anyone. Should I or Shoudn't I -

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Empty Redbook says

Post  dhula Thu 30 Sep 2010, 2:27 pm

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (GSF1250S) Faired
Valuation Prices
Price when new (RRP) $12,290
Trade in price guide $6,400 - $7,600
Private price guide $8,800 - $10,400

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 (GSF1250) Naked
Valuation Prices
Price when new (RRP) $11,790
Trade in price guide $6,200 - $7,400
Private price guide $8,600 - $10,200

Radiator guard = Anything up to $200 depending on where you get it. IMO this is a must have for the bandit
Muffler = $350 and up. Meh, it can wait
Other mods (you will them) = $ how much do you want to spend. Meh, they can wait
Full tank of fuel (try to get it thrown in) = $30

dhula's consensus = Fuck yerh baby

dhula

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Empty Re: Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  desdd99 Thu 30 Sep 2010, 2:56 pm

Semi naked S model. Thanks for the prices - that's useful - it may not be such a bargain after all ??

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 30 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

desdd57 wrote:Semi naked S model. Thanks for the prices - that's useful - it may not be such a bargain after all ??

I still say its a good price. I paid 11k for mine at the end of Oct 07. You still have 2 yrs warranty.

EDIT: That was 12k on the road and sold the panniers and top box for $1000

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 30 Sep 2010, 5:05 pm

the price you have been offered of $10,600 on a 2009 model no more to pay is preety good IMO for a brand new bike (albet 12 months old) with 2 years unlimited kms warrenty and 0 kms on the clock.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bikes/results.aspx?Ns=p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal|1&N=1432+604+1430+1429+1428+4294967268+4294958706&TabID=2207444&keywords=&Nne=15

here ^^^^^^^^^ is a look at what is available on bike point for comparison

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 30 Sep 2010, 8:50 pm

dhula wrote:the price you have been offered of $10,600 on a 2009 model no more to pay is preety good IMO for a brand new bike (albet 12 months old) with 2 years unlimited kms warrenty and 0 kms on the clock.

I agree mate pirat

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm

I'm torn again fellas ?? Went and had a look at this bike (link below) & they reduced it to $11,400 on the road. Full comprehensive with swan on this bike is $450 a year, and as noted once before it's only 2 10ths of a second slower than the 1250 from 0-100 k's

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Moz-screenshotShould I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Moz-screenshot-1Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Moz-screenshot-2http://autosguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2004-Yamaha-FZ6-Fazer1.jpg

Thinks::"":: I am getting old - my strength is slidin downhill - in 5 yrs will I still be able to handle thr 1250 then - I do like the torque of a big motor - but then I enjoy wringing necks as well - the 1250 is cheaper, not made in Japan, has a mild steel frame - wallows a little when pushed thru a corner. Don't suppose I can own a Fazer and stay in this forum. Fazer - bandit - fazer - bandit they both sound similar - wonder if they'd let me sta- y ???

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 01 Oct 2010, 1:03 am

what gives you the biggest wood
what gives you the grin
which one draws you back time and time again

answer those three and get the one that does it FOR YOU

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 01 Oct 2010, 6:35 am

dhula wrote:what gives you the biggest wood
what gives you the grin
which one draws you back time and time again

answer those three and get the one that does it FOR YOU

Hey that's really good dhula - really good. When I go and look at the blue Bandit I am smitten by it's beauty & overawed by the thought of its low down grunt.
When I go and look at the Fazer - I drool, I forget to blink and I find myself calling in time and again. And I am overawed that so much can be drawn from this little motor.

I think the Fazer may have it - but only by a wisker, which still makes my decision - dammit - I wish I could aford them both Neutral

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Fri 01 Oct 2010, 6:55 am

the yammie is a good bike too

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 01 Oct 2010, 8:41 am

Des, you dont need to have Bandit DNA to post here Shocked

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 01 Oct 2010, 9:26 am

potatomasher wrote:the yammie is a good bike too

Thanks PM - That does make me happy to hear you say that

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 01 Oct 2010, 9:36 am

2wheelsagain wrote:Des, you dont need to have Bandit DNA to post here Shocked

Thanks 2WA - Kinda like it here. Was gonna ph u last night - but reception was bad. Vodafone very weak at Irymple. At the moment we have the caravan park absolutely full, because of the Mildura "Country and Western" 10 days. Evidently - Victoria's equivalent to Tamworth. Heaps of bikes around too.

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Wed 13 Oct 2010, 6:08 pm

Been a few days, maybe even a week, wait on it's been two weeks.

I got involved with talking to a lady on another forum (Linux) and I've just realised - she has kept me totally occupied Very Happy How can a girl do that to you when she's 6000 miles away ?? We have swapped email addresses - so I am making her wait for the next one - looking for re-action. Hell !!! This title takes on a new meaning "Should i or shouldn't I"

According to the new magazine out those bikes are sold new for the prices they want - so in fact all they're doing is covering the on roads. The Yammy is even dearer at $11,400 that's dearer than a new bike, latest update, plated 2010. So the current decision is wait til I get to Brisbane in around three weeks time and see what's available there.

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 14 Oct 2010, 12:24 am

The FZ6 isn'ta good bike unless you a learner. The Bandit wallow? are you for real? The suspension isn't top notch but it doesn't wallow.

BTW I hosed a ZX6 and a M109 cruiser at the drags. Only just got beaten by a CBR1000RR and a R6 (right at the end) so the Bandit does pretty well in a straight line.

Up to you what you get. I paid 13K with full Givi panniers ride away in late 07. The bike has been an absolute pleasure to ride for 25000K+. It is not babied and I ride it pretty hard with another mate that owns an old Bandit. If you want to ride these things properly you have to muscle them around unlike the little FZ6
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 14 Oct 2010, 5:26 am

What you say makes good sense RD. When I said "Wallow" I was quoting some journalist. I think he said it was a price you have to pay for the smooth and comfortable ride. I'm 70 yrs old with a mild dose of Parkinson's, so smooth and comfortable sounds good to me, but the "muscle it around" idea has me worried as I may not be strong enough in a few years time. So I think I really want the power and comfort of the 1250 but may have to be wise and admit I might not be able to handle it for too much longer.

Then on the other hand I do love a high revving motor anyway, with a distinct power band. They might have spoiled the FZ for me by giving the new model more torque in the mid range and therefore less power at the top.

BTW how much did you hose the FZ by, was it a walk over or did it give you a bit a run?

Thanks for the post Reddog - I appreciate the advise

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 14 Oct 2010, 11:01 am

I pretty much run neck a neck with my mates 06 FZ1S which has at least 30HP+ on top of the Bandit and considerably less weight.

THE FZ1 is a pearler of a bike, feels very much like a dirt bike, but fuel economy sucks.

What I meant about muscle is that if you intend to ride spiritedly then this is the best way to ride the bike. In normal circumstances it rides like any other. Where the Bandit is not user friendly is when stopped, if you don't have it down pat you may end up with the bike falling over as it has a fairly high centre of gravity with a fair bit of the weight up high.

Good luck shopping mate all I can say is go ride them all.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 14 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

You have hit the nail on the head with your comment about standing still - that is my greatest fear with a bigger bike. I have stopped unbalanced on the ER6 that I used to have - and had a big job wrestling with it to prevent it from having a sleep on it's side. How embarrassing would that be

Why I stopped on a curve without getting the bike upright before coming to a complete halt, haunts me Smile.. Once that rolling stops, as you say, it's all top heavy - and gravity will test the best.

Looks like a 600cc yammie for me :

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 14 Oct 2010, 8:26 pm

I find stopping with two feet down and then flick the side stand down works for me. Dismount bike and pull it up onto the centre stand. All this pretty much doen while hanging onto the front brake. You get used of it.

Any road bike is heavy comapred to a dirt squirter for sure.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 14 Oct 2010, 9:20 pm

The ER6n is a Kwaka road bike. 650cc twin 175Kilo - Does 0 to 100 in 3.9 seconds top speed 204
Dunno why I sold it really Smile

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 15 Oct 2010, 12:43 am

To be honest after reading heaps and seeing more info come out as time moves on, I recon you might be better off getting a ER6 again or like you said a FZ6 especially if weight is a concern for you and you like a revvy engine.
The FZ6 I recon meets both wants well and the ER6 meets them maybe just a bit less as well.
Thing is when any bike is leaned over at a standstill it doesn't matter how light it is, it will lay down unless you put in a guts effort once it goes past a certain point.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 15 Oct 2010, 12:07 pm

Yeah I do love that power surge coming in at revs. Evident-ally FZ6's are finished its now the FZ8 - which as far as I can gather still has the revvy power band but sports 84 torques giving it a lot more low down and medium grunt. But do you think I can find a price anywhere.

Where I have had the leaning whilst stopping problem is at lights or caused by traffic having t stop fairly quickly on a bend. It's amazing how heavy a bike can get just past where the side stand would hold the bike. There was nothing mentioned about it during licence training, yet it seems like an easy way for the unwary to scratch the bike, and one would have to throw a few dollars about to get a dented tank fixed.

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 15 Oct 2010, 2:33 pm

Well I'm back from a couple of days away with work and Des still hasnt put down any hard cash and another bike is in the mix too (FZ8)
There's a mini series in this for sure lol

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 4 Empty Des's Topgear for bikes

Post  Reardo Fri 15 Oct 2010, 2:58 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Well I'm back from a couple of days away with work and Des still hasnt put down any hard cash and another bike is in the mix too (FZ8)

lol! If u get to see des flog all these bikes, I'll watch it Very Happy

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 15 Oct 2010, 4:54 pm

Reardo wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:Well I'm back from a couple of days away with work and Des still hasnt put down any hard cash and another bike is in the mix too (FZ8)

lol! If u get to see des flog all these bikes, I'll watch it Very Happy

Hey Chris - I can see I'll have to just go and do it. A friend once said to me "A lot of the fun in buying something is the lead up to it - the info gathering, the testing and the trying out - making a decision - enjoy it"

As good as the write ups are on the FZ8 it's $5000 to dear at $15,000 - The Suzi 1250 will prove to much for my failing strength - whereas the FZ6 has most of it's cards stacked right - sigh - roll the cameras affraid

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 15 Oct 2010, 5:54 pm

Not sure how heavy the Suzuki Gladius is, but that coudl be a pretty worthy contender as could the Honda Hornet 600. The GSF650 is only a touch lighter than the 1250.

Bang for buck the 1250 is hard to go by, but if weight is your concern then your best to stick nearer to the 600cc range.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum