Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I or Shouldn't I

+16
reddog
rolls
Dink.1170
Saikhan
Sloth_27
dhula
jaba01
potatomasher
b12mick
2wheelsagain
Re-Cycled
Cameron
Ewok1958
Reardo
whitey1
desdd99
20 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I Empty Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:01 am

I hope that this post is going into the "Introduce Yourself" section, as I am not sure that I have done all the correct clicks.

Seriously thinking of buying a used Bandit 1259, One year old, 4000 kays, new rear tire, luggage rack, after market gear selection indicator,, retard (1st 3 gears) eliminator, tank protector - - - - Price $10,500 ??

My name is Des and I live in Mildura, soon to move beck to Brisbane. I've been reading some of the comments in here and I now know it is just the right bike for me, but I'm an old fella, not that experienced, and think maybe I should go for a smaller motor - like a 650 bandit. Not sure if there is a 750 Bandit or not. Previously owned a Kawisaki ER6-N 650 twin in line. From what I gather from you guys the Bandit will be a lot better and more comfortable. - - - Love to hear your advice - er - anyone. Should I or Shoudn't I -

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I Empty Re: Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  whitey1 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:31 am

Hi there Des, welcome mate.
I bought my naked bandit new about 1 year ago for $10500 plus on road costs. This is my first real road bike after years of riding 400/600/650 trailies. I took to it like a duck to water, so easy to ride. Must be the more upright riding position similar to trailbikes that made the transition easy for me. You'll be fine I reckon. Seems the Bandits hold their value pretty well, although the one you are looking at has done bugger all ks(bit like mine really). Do it and good luck.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:51 am

Welcome Des. The bandit a easy bike to ride, people hear 1250 and shit brick. Is it from Suzuki Magic, Cnr Madden Ave & Eighth St, Mildura?

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I Empty re - easy to ride

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 10:16 am

Reardo wrote:Welcome Des. The bandit a easy bike to ride, people hear 1250 and shit brick. Is it from Suzuki Magic, Cnr Madden Ave & Eighth St, Mildura?

You must live in or know Mildura well Smile - No it's not from him although he put me onto it; It's from a private seller. I'm just not sure, as it has no anti-lock brakes - and I am an old fella who's never stopped being a rev head. For that reason (and the price of the 1250 is high) I am thinking of a new 650 from the company you mentioned.

Thanks for the welcome

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 10:22 am

whitey1 wrote:Hi there Des, welcome mate.
........ Seems the Bandits hold their value pretty well,

Thanks Whitey for the wecome - does the above quote mean you think the bike is too dear ? I tend to think it is

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 19 Sep 2010, 10:50 am

desdd57 wrote:
Reardo wrote:Welcome Des. The bandit a easy bike to ride, people hear 1250 and shit brick. Is it from Suzuki Magic, Cnr Madden Ave & Eighth St, Mildura?

You must live in or know Mildura well Smile - No it's not from him although he put me onto it; It's from a private seller. I'm just not sure, as it has no anti-lock brakes - and I am an old fella who's never stopped being a rev head. For that reason (and the price of the 1250 is high) I am thinking of a new 650 from the company you mentioned.

Thanks for the welcome

Des

300K'S up the road, Broken Hill. my 1250 came from John at suzuki magic and not the cow behind the counter Mad .
Mate test ride the 1250 before u buy a 650, if your a rev head i think the 650 may get boring. thats only my opinion.

*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

[quote="300K'S up the road, Broken Hill. my 1250 came from John at suzuki magic and not the cow behind the counter Mad .
Mate test ride the 1250 before u buy a 650, if your a rev head i think the 650 may get boring. thats only my opinion.[/quote]

Yes I have been thinking just that since my last post to you -I am sure I would enjoy the shear grunt of the 1250. Whilst the 650's are pretty much goers these days it still ain't the same. Long as I don't get out of control on the mono's which will surely happen from time to time - even though I'll be avoiding that Smile Very Happy

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

Hi Des and welcome,
I'm 52 next month and only bought my 1250s a few months ago. Since then, I've put 4,600kms on it and that's over a Canberra winter - that's how much I love riding it. I hadn't ridden for many years and even had to go back and get my license all over again because my old Victorian one was so old it wasn't even on any computer - I got it in 1975. The biggest bike I owned back in my former riding days was a Yamaha 750 triple. On my return to riding I bought a Suzuki VZ800 (M50) Boulevard cruiser (learner legal in the ACT) - it was lighter than the Bandit (not by much) and good around town but not so great on the highway due to the riding position. When I got around to thinking I needed another bike I didn't even look in the smaller classes because I'm 6ft 2in and need a bit of room. The bulk of the Bandit 1250 didn't put me off at all and you don't notice it riding - in fact I can balance on it stationary better than the VZ. It is quite slim, 50mm narrower even than the Bandit 1200. However, it all comes down to what you're comfortable with and you just have to test ride a few to see what suits you the best. I must admit I didn't consider the Honda VFR800 at the time but probably should have - only trouble is you can get a Bandit for the same price, but again, it's whatever suits you the best and the one that makes you want to ride it every chance you get. The rest doesn't matter.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 8:23 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Hi Des and welcome,
bought my 1250s a few months ago. Since then, I've put 4,600kms on it and that's over a Canberra winter - that's how much I love riding it..........The bulk of the Bandit 1250 didn't put me off at all and you don't notice it riding ......it's whatever suits you the best and the one that makes you want to ride it every chance you get. The rest doesn't matter.

Thanks for the welcome EWOK1958 - In the year you were born (1958) I turned 18. I'm impressed with your 4600 kays in a few months - that sounds like just the thing that I will no doubt do. Got my full license in Qld about 3 yrs ago - I enjoyed the training and went out and bought a Kawasaki ER6 N. I'm convinced that all u guys are right and I'm almost to the point of drooling at the thought of 1250cc under my seat. And you are absolutely right with your comment "the one that makes you want to ride it every chance you get". And like you I'll probably pile the kays on - It will be just going no place in particular - what the hell I'm 70 years old now, been diagnosed with Parkinson's - - I'm think I'm gonna have to do it whilst I can.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement and confidence boost - I needed it Very Happy ----- Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Sun 19 Sep 2010, 8:27 pm

Welcome to the site mate

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 8:36 pm

Thanks Cameron - I gotta say I'm glad to be here - Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:15 pm

desdd57 wrote:And like you I'll probably pile the kays on - It will be just going no place in particular - what the hell I'm 70 years old now, been diagnosed with Parkinson's - - I'm think I'm gonna have to do it whilst I can.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement and confidence boost - I needed it Very Happy ----- Des
What the hell are you waiting for then??? Just do it man! My wife has been going through breast cancer this year and it sure has put a new meaning on living life to the full while you can because you never know whats around the corner. I hope I'm still still taking my wife for a ride on my bike when I'm 70. Good on ya cheers
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:18 pm

Welcome Des

I hope you can get some good Ks on the bike, you make me feel young again, maybe I should get a real sports bike lol!

Depending on how much value you put on the extras, that bike does seem dear. In the September issue of Cycletorque, Hills Motorcycles (Sydney) are advertising a 2010 Bandit 1250 ABS demo with 2,760km for $10,880 ride away.
Although it seems to be gone http://motorcycles-for-sale.com.au/usedbikesales/user_ads/245/HillsMotorcycles
I would expect private prices to be lower.

I definitely would try to get a test ride.

Cheers

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 20 Sep 2010, 8:50 am

G'day and welcome Des.
In my travels on the Bandit I have bumped into a 70yr old and his 68yr old pillion who wanted to swap hit silver B1250 for my black one because he couldn’t get a black one Laughing So I say if you have some experience and can handle the weight of the Bandit 1250 go for it. They can be many bikes to many people its up to the right wrist. Shocked

Having said that I love the ER6 and at 75hp and a smaller and lighter bike you might not be blown away by the 25 more hp of the Bandit. There's no doubt the Bandit will be better on a tour and if you like to sit back and lope along at 3300rpm the bandit 1250S is the one for you especially if loaded up with luggage but if you like to poke it into corners a little the ER wont be far behind.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Mon 20 Sep 2010, 9:21 am

2wheelsagain wrote:G'day and welcome Des.
In my travels on the Bandit I have bumped into a 70yr old and his 68yr old pillion who wanted to swap hit silver B1250 for my black one because he couldn’t get a black one Laughing So I say if you have some experience and can handle the weight of the Bandit 1250 go for it. They can be many bikes to many people its up to the right wrist. Shocked
Having said that I love the ER6 and at 75hp and a smaller and lighter bike you might not be blown away by the 25 more hp of the Bandit. There's no doubt the Bandit will be better on a tour and if you like to sit back and lope along at 3300rpm the bandit 1250S is the one for you especially if loaded up with luggage but if you like to poke it into corners a little the ER wont be far behind.
When u say ER6N - you do mean the Kawasaki, Yes I enjoyed that bike & couldn't believe what a long way 600's had come since I had a BSA back in the 60's. But as you say it's all in the right wrist - although I would dearly love to have electronic cruise control - but wow they are dear.
Black is very nice especially when clean Smile but the dark metallic blue comes in a close second

Thanks for the welcome gds ----Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 20 Sep 2010, 9:52 am

No Des Silver is the best by far. LOL

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 20 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

Welcome Des.

Providing you're reasonably gentle with the throttle you can't get in to too much trouble with the big bandit, they are fairly forgiving and very easy to ride.

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 20 Sep 2010, 1:18 pm

b12mick wrote:Welcome Des.

Providing you're reasonably gentle with the throttle you can't get in to too much trouble with the big bandit, they are fairly forgiving and very easy to ride.

Just make sure on your "test ride" you get the chance to walk the bike around a bit.
There's no getting away from the fact the Bandit is 240+kg and tall at the bars when walking it around the garage and without being rude in any way you are "mature".

Sometimes there are better suited bikes around for an individual's need. I would prefer to see someone enjoying their bike rather than being scared of the size and weight. The weight isn't an issue when you're rolling.

To answer your original question; Only you can answer that but a Bandit should not be your only choice just to get back on two wheels.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Mon 20 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

i found it was a little on the heavy side when i first got it - not having had a bike for years. however i have been doing some nearly daily exercise for the past 12 months [push ups and dips] and now i can lug it around easily. i think if you don't do a bit of exercise your strength disappears very slowly and you dont notice but its a breeze now [provided it doesnt tip tooooo far]

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Mon 20 Sep 2010, 7:21 pm

potatomasher wrote:i found it was a little on the heavy side when i first got it - not having had a bike for years. however i have been doing some nearly daily exercise for the past 12 months [push ups and dips] and now i can lug it around easily. i think if you don't do a bit of exercise your strength disappears very slowly and you dont notice but its a breeze now [provided it doesn't tip tooooo far]

Hey - thanks for the advice I know that you are right - for I have stuck with exercise betimes and I always end up feeling better. Why is it that I don't keep at it?? It's due to profound laziness on my part. So I think I'll take your example and get stuck back into it.

When you ride - do you used to find it hard in traffic - you know stopping and starting? I'm lucky being 6ft my feet both touch the ground at the same time - which at my age is a bonus.

Take care ---- Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 20 Sep 2010, 11:28 pm

Des,
I can only say I hope I still have what you've got at the ripe old age of 70 - I can only pray I'm having your dilemma at that age with a few old age aches and pains already setting in at 52. Part of buying a bike again was to stave off old age and I'm loving it - in fact the worst thing about a Bandit 1250 is the temptation to use its potential, which I'm tempted to do frequently. It's way too easy to use the right wrist so self discipline is the key (unfortunately I have'nt got any). I might actually wish I'd bought the Bandit 650 if I keep up my current penchant for over-zealousness! Thing is though, the 650 is only 6 kgs lighter than the 1250 so why bother?
I know one thing for sure, I intend to make the most of it whilst I can. I don't care if I only get 6,000 k's out of the rear tyre, I'll know I bloody well enjoyed every minute of it. Live the dream.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Mon 20 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm

I had been away from 2 wheels for many years too. I shopped around, looking at numerous models but kept coming back to the Bandit for value for $ & general all round performance.
I purchased a GSX1250FA (Bandit with full fairing) I love it......... it's so easy to ride and does most stuff well. I am short but find it easy to man handle when the need arises.
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you brought a Bandit............ Very Happy
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I Empty Dilemma

Post  desdd99 Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:21 am

Ewok1958 wrote:Des,
I can only say I hope I still have what you've got at the ripe old age of 70 - I can only pray I'm having your dilemma at that age with a few old age aches and pains already setting in at 52. Part of buying a bike again was to stave off old age and I'm loving it - in fact the worst thing about a Bandit 1250 is the temptation to use its potential, which I'm tempted to do frequently. It's way too easy to use the right wrist so self discipline is the key (unfortunately I have'nt got any). I might actually wish I'd bought the Bandit 650 if I keep up my current penchant for over-zealousness! Thing is though, the 650 is only 6 kgs lighter than the 1250 so why bother?
I know one thing for sure, I intend to make the most of it whilst I can. I don't care if I only get 6,000 k's out of the rear tyre, I'll know I bloody well enjoyed every minute of it. Live the dream.
I hear you EWOK , and I think I'm enjoying the dilemma. I have resolved one, and that is I definitely want a Suz 1250 sports roadster. The other dilemma is - - New with ABS or the second hand one with extras but no ABS ????? I really would like to have ABS. Even though I never locked up the ER6
Sounds to me that a 650 would only hold a fraction less temptation to you Very Happy The 650,s of today rock. I had an ER6n Kawasaki for 18 months or so' : 0 to 100 kays in 3.9 seconds. So I thinks that the likes of you and me need a couple of detuned 125's LOL! and then we'd find a way. By the way the 2nd hand one I'm looking at has less than 4000 on the clock and already needs a new back tire. Now there I go full of doubts again - that fact makes me think maybe this bike has been thrashed a bit too much.
Going to be the pillion on it this arvo - I'll have to post a report. By the way - the aches and pains that you feel at 52 have been gotten used to by the time your 70. And as you know (and I imagine) sittng astride a smooth and potent 1250 - there are no aches and pains. By th sounds of things - just plenty of grunt.
Did you buy new or S/hand ??
Best rgds - Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:42 am

the ABS is great - i have never felt it come on except when i have deliberately tried to lock the wheels [to see what it did] but it will help prevent a nasty front wheel lock up

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:41 am

My bikes only just done 4000km and the rear tyre is already knackered too. Its a common theme with the factory fitted tyres. Doesn't mean its been thrashed just means the tyres are shit. Guys on here have been getting much better km out of other brands of tyres. Theres a thread on tyres here https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/product-review-f7/tyres-feedback-t76.htm thats interesting reading

Last edited by whitey1 on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum