Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I or Shouldn't I

+16
reddog
rolls
Dink.1170
Saikhan
Sloth_27
dhula
jaba01
potatomasher
b12mick
2wheelsagain
Re-Cycled
Cameron
Ewok1958
Reardo
whitey1
desdd99
20 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Empty Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  desdd99 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

I hope that this post is going into the "Introduce Yourself" section, as I am not sure that I have done all the correct clicks.

Seriously thinking of buying a used Bandit 1259, One year old, 4000 kays, new rear tire, luggage rack, after market gear selection indicator,, retard (1st 3 gears) eliminator, tank protector - - - - Price $10,500 ??

My name is Des and I live in Mildura, soon to move beck to Brisbane. I've been reading some of the comments in here and I now know it is just the right bike for me, but I'm an old fella, not that experienced, and think maybe I should go for a smaller motor - like a 650 bandit. Not sure if there is a 750 Bandit or not. Previously owned a Kawisaki ER6-N 650 twin in line. From what I gather from you guys the Bandit will be a lot better and more comfortable. - - - Love to hear your advice - er - anyone. Should I or Shoudn't I -

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Empty Re: Should I or Shouldn't I

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:43 am

I would want ABS if I was doung a surbuan commute every day. I dont, so I didnt take the option but have full insurance.
ABS wasnt available on black Bandits when I ordered mine.

EDIT: I milked 6000km out of my OEM rear tire but could have replaced it at about 4,5000 so its about right. Wear rates will vary depending on the type of road surfaces its been on too.

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tires)

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 21 Sep 2010, 2:08 pm

Is the 1250 substantially heavier than the 1200?

The only time I've found the b12 heavy was when I was picking it up after it got tired and had a lie down.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 21 Sep 2010, 6:18 pm

desdd57 wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:Des,
I can only say I hope I still have what you've got at the ripe old age of 70 - I can only pray I'm having your dilemma at that age with a few old age aches and pains already setting in at 52. Part of buying a bike again was to stave off old age and I'm loving it - in fact the worst thing about a Bandit 1250 is the temptation to use its potential, which I'm tempted to do frequently. It's way too easy to use the right wrist so self discipline is the key (unfortunately I have'nt got any). I might actually wish I'd bought the Bandit 650 if I keep up my current penchant for over-zealousness! Thing is though, the 650 is only 6 kgs lighter than the 1250 so why bother?
I know one thing for sure, I intend to make the most of it whilst I can. I don't care if I only get 6,000 k's out of the rear tyre, I'll know I bloody well enjoyed every minute of it. Live the dream.
I hear you EWOK , and I think I'm enjoying the dilemma. I have resolved one, and that is I definitely want a Suz 1250 sports roadster. The other dilemma is - - New with ABS or the second hand one with extras but no ABS ????? I really would like to have ABS. Even though I never locked up the ER6
Sounds to me that a 650 would only hold a fraction less temptation to you Very Happy The 650,s of today rock. I had an ER6n Kawasaki for 18 months or so' : 0 to 100 kays in 3.9 seconds. So I thinks that the likes of you and me need a couple of detuned 125's LOL! and then we'd find a way. By the way the 2nd hand one I'm looking at has less than 4000 on the clock and already needs a new back tire. Now there I go full of doubts again - that fact makes me think maybe this bike has been thrashed a bit too much.
Going to be the pillion on it this arvo - I'll have to post a report. By the way - the aches and pains that you feel at 52 have been gotten used to by the time your 70. And as you know (and I imagine) sittng astride a smooth and potent 1250 - there are no aches and pains. By th sounds of things - just plenty of grunt.
Did you buy new or S/hand ??
Best rgds - Des

Hi Des - I bought mine new because the dealer gave me such a good trade-in deal on the VZ that it wasn't worth my while to bother selling the VZ privately and then chasing up a new bike. Of course, they were worried about offloading machines prior to the end of the financial year which always helps.
I don't know that the rear tyre condition is much of an indicator. There is plenty of discussion on this forum about tyres and how badly the original Dunlops wear. I can add to that by saying that I'm a gentle rider but I'll definitely be replacing front and rear at the 6,000 kms service - quite frankly the rear will be shot by then. Michelin PR2's will be going on and they should be good for 15,000 kms based on the comments here under Reviews. I'm not in any position to advise what other signs to look out for in terms of whether it's been thrashed or not but I would say that such a big powerplant could take a bit of thrashing without too many problems providing it wasn't over-revved.
By all reports Suzuki has gotten the ABS right and it is probably worth the extra $500. I didn't bother with it myself. Be sure to use bikepoint.com.au to check out prices for other Bandits - what they're selling for is the best way to decide if the one you're looking at is at the top or bottom (or in between) on the pricing scale. You have to take into account the accessories of course, but they never add what they cost when it comes to selling.
Hope that helps.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 21 Sep 2010, 7:36 pm

You can also get a good idea of prices here Redbook

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 21 Sep 2010, 8:49 pm

There's some cheap 650 Bandits to be had second hand, eg, for $6,500 you get a 2007 low km model down in Wodonga:

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=3229816&__sid=128A82347990&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=p_PriceSort_Decimal%7c0%7c%7cp_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Model_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201428%204294967268%204294966681&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=31&silo=1400

Seems almost too cheap.

Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 21 Sep 2010, 9:05 pm

Hey guys. Just going to move this thread into another topic. By all means keep the good info coming..im just moving it out of the intros.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 22 Sep 2010, 9:15 am

So have we had a test ride yet? Pillion or otherwise?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Des.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Wed 22 Sep 2010, 8:34 pm

[quote="desdd57"]
2wheelsagain wrote:G'day and welcome Des.
In my travels on the Bandit I have bumped into a 70yr old and his 68yr old pillion who wanted to swap hit silver B1250 for my black one because he couldn’t get a black one Laughing So I say if you have some experience and can handle the weight of the Bandit 1250 go for it. They can be many bikes to many people its up to the right wrist. Shocked
Having said that I love the ER6 and at 75hp and a smaller and lighter bike you might not be blown away by the 25 more hp of the Bandit. There's no doubt the Bandit will be better on a tour and if you like to sit back and lope along at 3300rpm the bandit 1250S is the one for you especially if loaded up with luggage but if you like to poke it into corners a little the ER wont be far behind.
Went for a ride on a 600cc Yamaha (Road /Sports) They are deceptively fast. especially if you get among the revs. Beautiful gearbox compliments a smooth ride, as one leaves car drivers thinking they are standing still. Heck - what must the 1250 bandit be like - I suppose it would burn this bike off - or would it ? Does anybody know ? The handling was light and easy and in no-time at al my confidence began to build - I realised "Hey!! I can still do this. So tomorrow its seek out the bandit for a ride time at last. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 22 Sep 2010, 9:06 pm

I moved from a ER6F to the bandit (1250 half faired ABS jobbie) and have a GSX650F at home as well so will give my ideas and thoughts (I'm 6'3 for comparison)

The ER6 and 1250 bandit (and the GSX650F) are almost the same in seating position and handling so it's like getting on a more powerfull ER6 - almost. The extra weight of the bandit (the GSX650F is only about 5 kgs lighter than the ABS bandit) was quite noticeable at standstill or walking the bike when I first got it but did not take long at all to get used to. It is a lot heavier to pick up after a sleep tho but if you use the correct techniques it is pretty easy.
While the ER6 was no sloth there were times that a wrong gear could see you struggling until you changed down the bandit there is no such problem wind on the throttle in any gear from almost any speed and away she goes, no fuss, no shake, no problem. It is not the HP of the bandit that does it for me, it is the huge torx at such low RPM (comparatively speaking) and nice fat tork curv that is my favorite.

When comparing the 650 to the 1250 there is not to much to say apart from the engine performance and the way it delivers what it does. HP wise they are pretty close (about 20 HP difference if memory serves me right - probably doesn't) but torque the 1250 is about double and about 4000 or so RPM lower in the rev range.
The 650 will do what the 1250 does and not complain when you twist on throttle in most gears at most speeds but to get it to boogy you need to dance a little on the gear lever. The delivery is much more liner on the 650 and very much more predictable but the twist and rush of the 1250 is very (very very very.............. ) addictive
Some times I find it more fun to ride the 650 and hear the engine scream as I give it heaps, other times I love the lazy tork of the 1250 along the same roads but overall I think the 650 (I know, wash my mouth out) is the better of the 2 for what I use them for (commuting and weekend day trips) and the easier bike to ride overall

My thoughts in summery
If you pillioning a lot, go the 1250, if not so much pillioning try the 650
Get the ABS, it's very much in the background stuff that works pretty damb well when needed
GSX compared to GSF - duno, I'm torn on this one so I can't offer any advice whatsoeva

And in answer to your question

YES

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:21 am

My thoughts in summery
If you pillioning a lot, go the 1250, if not so much pillioning try the 650
Get the ABS, it's very much in the background stuff that works pretty damb well when needed
GSX compared to GSF - duno, I'm torn on this one so I can't offer any advice whatsoeva

1st up - What is a "sleep"
What are "the correct procedures"
I'm imagining you mean when you stop at an angle and get past the point of balance ??
I took a 600cc Yamaha for a ride and was impressed. Nothing - no torque - like the Kwakker ER6 - but get some revs under her and all hell breaks loose. So I'm gonna do some research t won't in top speed but - well 245klm per hr is not for me

Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 23 Sep 2010, 12:50 pm

desdd57 wrote:
1st up - What is a "sleep"
What are "the correct procedures"

Des

Sleep is when your bike is "tired" and has a lay down. Not so much a crash.

Usually the correct proceedure is thought to be turn the bars full lock the other way to how the bike is laying and and lift from the bars (using knees of course lol)

Was it an FZ6 you tested? Good bikes. Like the way the mill is a stressed member of the frame. Probably better suspension than the B1250 too. Be prepared to rev anything under 1000cc and then some Wink

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Thu 23 Sep 2010, 3:00 pm

(Quote) "Sleep is when your bike is "tired" and has a lay down. Not so much a crash.

Usually the correct proceedure is thought to be turn the bars full lock the other way to how the bike is laying and and lift from the bars (using knees of course lol)

Was it an FZ6 you tested? Good bikes. Like the way the mill is a stressed member of the frame. Probably better suspension than the B1250 too. Be prepared to rev anything under 1000cc and then some Wink" (EndQuote)

They used to tell me there were two kinds of riders - those who had fallen off and those that were gonna fall off. Is it the same with sleeps ?? Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Yeah an FZ6n for naked 9uhn semi naked really, It had headlight faring but a naked engine area. I did have an ER6n Kawasaki couple of years back and it would pull well in the threes and fours. Nice bike - but very uncomfortable - I would have to stop every hour. The speedo (uncorrected) told me I was doin 204 once. The Yammy feels smoother stays in line easier, but the ER6 falls into corners easier, maybe because the Yammie has a longer wheelbase. Love the sound of the 4 cyl, starts to sound like a formula one after 10,000. $11599 for a new drive away one here in Mildura. It's black and I'm torn betwixt the peppy joy of a middle weight and the sheer grunt of a medium heavy. 0 to 100 km/h Bandt 1250 = 3.2 seconds - - - - - Yammie 600 FZ6 = 3.44 seconds

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 23 Sep 2010, 6:11 pm

Hi Des,
Maybe you should go an try a VFR800, being in between the one's you are looking at. Although, if you are sports bike oriented enough to look at a 600 Yammie, maybe you'd be better of looking at the Suzuki GSX750, which is set to become a classic of all time (if it hasn't already - see 2Wheels and Superbike mags).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Empty 750

Post  desdd99 Fri 24 Sep 2010, 1:17 pm

Somebody posted a reply and suggested looking at the Suzuki 750, but I can't find that post to quote it ?? Ah well.. Anyway I did look at the 750's but I'm looking for a sit up straight bike.
At the moment I am thinking that the Yamaha 600 FZ6n might do he job - I do like a high revving motor. It/s like having to motors. One - below 6000rpm where you cruise smoothly around town - and - Two - Above 6000rpm for making v8 cars etc look silly off the lights. The 750 seems to have all these qualities in abundance - but it's a lay down position. So the FZ6 is only 2 tenths of a second slower from 0 to 100 klicks than the 1250 bandit. Yeah ok - I'll wash me mouth out, and I do like grunt as well -- sigh - Wish I would make up me mind.

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Empty 750

Post  desdd99 Fri 24 Sep 2010, 1:22 pm

Aha - Ewok - I am getting too old. Fancy missing your post before when it was right were I was working. Thanks for that advice . it certainly is a powerful machine - but leaning too far forward and down is no good for this old back

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 24 Sep 2010, 2:06 pm

I'll go out on a limb here seeing as you are looking at other brands now and suggest you also look at Honda's 900 Hornet (also in 600 form a few yrs ago) The 900 stopped comming into Aust only a couple of yrs ago.

Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Honda-CB900F-Hornet-2

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 24 Sep 2010, 3:42 pm

My suggestion is ride absolutely everything you possibly can, then buy the bike that gives you the biggest grin that you can afford.

Personally, I've ridden lots of different bikes over the last 8 years (since buying the B12) and I'm yet to ride a bike that has made me seriously think about getting rid of the B12. There's been a few bikes that I'd own as well as the B12, but none that could replace it.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Fri 24 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

Your suggestion, Mick, is a good one - As I checked out the Suzuki 750 reports and then the Honda 900, it struck me that I may be working my way round in a circle back to the Bandit.

Trouble is in a small town there are only so many shops (3 with demo bikes) - perhaps I should wait for my upcoming shift to Brisbane. Plenty of bike shops there.

Bit scared of the Bandit, in the sense that I would probably like it too much and notch the k's up at an alarming rate. But what you are saying indirectly is:- 'enjoy the choosing part' - it's part of the journey

Thanks for the input - Des

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 25 Sep 2010, 11:09 am

Ebay has some good bandits. this one is $9000. 3800km. It is fitted with ABS, a Staintune muffler, and a Givi 32 litre top box.
(The link for the bike)

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sat 25 Sep 2010, 4:33 pm

Reardo wrote:Ebay has some good bandits. this one is $9000. 3800km. It is fitted with ABS, a Staintune muffler, and a Givi 32 litre top box.
(The link for the bike)
Thanks Reardo, that sent me on a big search for bandits - lasted about 4 hrs Smile Ok! would you believe 1 hr - Funny thing that most of the Bandits for sale are that awful Mauvey purpley girls colour. The search taught me though - that you have to go for a 2008 or better model. There are still some 2008 bikes unused as yet.
I guess I just gotta get a ride on one - There is one here (private sale) that I could ride, but - I couldn't do that to the guy when I know that I,m not gonna buy that particular bike. He's a nice guy and I hope he gets his sale at the price he's asking.

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:15 pm

desdd57 wrote: Funny thing that most of the Bandits for sale are that awful Mauvey purpley girls colour.

Hahaha... talking like that around here is going to get you banned! Razz
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sat 25 Sep 2010, 9:29 pm

Yeah - well I guess it was a little 'politically incorrect - I'm red green deficient, that means that I can stll see reds and greens - but not as well as somebody with normal colour vision. So when I look at purple or pink I often miss the red in it and just see (in the case of purple) the blue, so I can mistake it for a dark blue or navy at first glance. And a very light pink I can mistake for sky blue, which is confusing as ther is no blue in the colour pink The purple Bandit looks dark blue until I get close to it, then I can see that it's got some red in the mix.
One out of 12 males have this colour loss. SO lookout Smile I didn't know I was partially colour blind until I went for my aircraft licence, they picked it up real quick - and in those days it meant I could not fly at night.

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Sun 26 Sep 2010, 3:51 pm

[quote="desdd57 Funny thing that most of the Bandits for sale are that awful Mauvey purpley girls colour. [/quote]

C'mon own up. I know more than just me laughed hard at that. Very Happy
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  desdd99 Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

Saikhan wrote:[quote="desdd57 Funny thing that most of the Bandits for sale are that awful Mauvey purpley girls colour.

C'mon own up. I know more than just me laughed hard at that. Very Happy [/quote]
You got me and Ill have to admit that I don't really know (colour blind) what colour those bikes are - so I'm probably speaking out of turn. But they look purple to me.
Trouble is when you've been caught a few times (I've bought a pink shirt thining it was blue -and a Burgundy Suit thinking it was charcoal - both items where thought to be hilarious by my peers) Took a long time to live that down.
So tell me what colour is the bike that I call Purple ? Coz I admit I really don't know Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Icon_smile Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Icon_surprised - But ......
Now the black Bandit - I think I can see a bit of blue

desdd99

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 26 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm

desdd57 wrote: Funny thing that most of the Bandits for sale are that awful Mauvey purpley girls colour.

Saikhan wrote: C'mon own up. I know more than just me laughed hard at that. Very Happy

desdd57 wrote: You got me and Ill have to admit that I don't really know (colour blind) what colour those bikes are - so I'm probably speaking out of turn. But they look purple to me.
Trouble is when you've been caught a few times (I've bought a pink shirt thinking it was blue -and a Burgundy Suit thinking it was charcoal - both items where thought to be hilarious by my peers) Took a long time to live that down.
So tell me what colour is the bike that I call Purple ? Coz I admit I really don't know Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Icon_smile Should I or Shouldn't I - Page 2 Icon_surprised - But ......
Now the black Bandit - I think I can see a bit of blue

The joke is that you described our illustrious Admin's bike colour. lol!

Last edited by Re-Cycled on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: