Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cruise control/throttle locks

+13
b12mick
jstava
BanditDave
Kiwisteve
TropoBone
gus
Chook
mtbeerwah
Dekenai
Bosco15
paul
madmax
LazyD
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cruise control/throttle locks Empty Cruise control/throttle locks

Post  LazyD Fri 09 May 2014, 11:23 pm

Can anyone recommend what is the best and easiest type of throttle lock? Opinions please....

LazyD

Back to top Go down

Cruise control/throttle locks Empty Re: Cruise control/throttle locks

Post  madmax Fri 09 May 2014, 11:57 pm

I've got a go cruise throttle lock that I have used for long boring runs down a highway. Easy enough to use and remove when you know you aren't going to need it. Unfortunately I found that after only a short time it does slip and the speed will start dropping off.
As with any throttle lock speed will drift with the terrain.
It works ok (just) to give your right hand a rest

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  LazyD Sat 10 May 2014, 12:14 am

Thanks madmax, all I want is for the small wrist breaks on longer rides.

LazyD

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 10 May 2014, 12:18 am

I use one of these .....................the Vista one ( works better at larger throttle openings as it does flex a tiny amount which is more noticeable at slower speeds , but not unusable at slower speeds  ) 

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/motorcycle-throttle-lock

Don't buy the cheap version of it !

My lad uses & likes this type( to suit a Suzuki not Harley )

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Go-Cruise-Throttle-Lock-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-1-inch-bars-Harley-Davidson-1-/151271357275

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 10 May 2014, 12:58 am

Sorry my bad, mines actually an "Omni-Cruise" just found it on ebay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=190854977881&alt=web

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 10 May 2014, 2:58 am

NEP throttle lock has been my choice for three bikes, now.
Very simple design. Corrosion proof. Simple to fit and adjust.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 10 May 2014, 6:40 am

I have a Kaoko (http://www.kaoko.com/pSUZ100/KAOKO-Cruise-Control-for-SUZUKI-B-King-Bandit-GSX1250-GSX1200-GSX650SN-GSX600SN-GSR650-GSX-R600-GSX-R750-GSX-R1000-SV650-TL1000SR.aspx).  Well built, easy to install and use, and works.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  LazyD Sat 10 May 2014, 7:30 am

Thanks guys, given me plenty of options to think about.....

LazyD

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 10 May 2014, 9:19 am

Dekenai wrote:I have a Kaoko (http://www.kaoko.com/pSUZ100/KAOKO-Cruise-Control-for-SUZUKI-B-King-Bandit-GSX1250-GSX1200-GSX650SN-GSX600SN-GSR650-GSX-R600-GSX-R750-GSX-R1000-SV650-TL1000SR.aspx).  Well built, easy to install and use, and works.

so ...is that priced correct... an arm and a leg?

maybe if I as doing a 20 000km trip, or had bad arthritis.

holy shit!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 10 May 2014, 9:37 am

I think I've done the conversion from  South African Rand to AU$ correctly, R796.94 = $82.22587 (1ZAR = 0.102977 AUD)

I've just found the same on ebay for AU$161.31 + $49.61 postage from the US so if my conversion is correct it's not that bad

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kaoko-Throttle-Control-Suzuki-B-King-Bandit-GSF1250-GSF1200-GSF650-GSX-R600-/221417468909?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338d8273ed&_uhb=1

Has anyone bought online direct from anyone in South Africa?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 10 May 2014, 10:09 am

Does anyone here spray their r\h switch (throttle ) block every week or so with wd40 like me ? I done may 900 kls days on the Bandit but never had the real need for a wrist rest ..I thought id try one (curious)of those nylon on brake lever types but ended up throwing it away in Tasi .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 10 May 2014, 10:34 am

Chook wrote:
Has anyone bought online direct from anyone in South Africa?

Tried to, but they have an Australian distributor and they insisted I use him.  I bitched about the markup and was offered (from memory) a 10% discount, (about $120).  I'd enquire about a Aus Bandits Forum discount...if you are interested.

Cheers
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Sat 10 May 2014, 1:21 pm

madmax wrote:Sorry my bad, mines actually an "Omni-Cruise" just found it on ebay.

Cruise control/throttle locks 122-1303-01-o+omni-cruise-cruise-control+
My Honda VFR1200X rider mate has one of those and is very pleased with it. Cost him maybe $50 at the local motorbike shop.

When I bought my Bandit in Adelaide, faced with the 3000km ride home to Darwin, I bought one of these (throttle rocker) from Peter Stevens..

Cruise control/throttle locks Throttle%20rocker

Did the trick just nicely. You can relax your grip, use the heel of your hand etc. Cost me less than $20 and I stow it in the ducktail when I'm not using it - which is most of the time!

Staintune pipe. 
Michelin Pilot 2 front and rear
Ventura rack and bag, Kappa K33N panniers.
Racetech gold valves and fork springs.
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 10 May 2014, 1:46 pm

Chook wrote:I think I've done the conversion from  South African Rand to AU$ correctly, R796.94 = $82.22587 (1ZAR = 0.102977 AUD)

I've just found the same on ebay for AU$161.31 + $49.61 postage from the US so if my conversion is correct it's not that bad

Has anyone bought online direct from anyone in South Africa

Ah, my bad. didn`t take the Rand thing into consideration.

Here I am looking at nearly $800
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sat 10 May 2014, 3:25 pm

TropoBone wrote:
madmax wrote:Sorry my bad, mines actually an "Omni-Cruise" just found it on ebay.

My Honda VFR1200X rider mate has one of those and is very pleased with it. Cost him maybe $50 at the local motorbike shop.

When I bought my Bandit in Adelaide, faced with the 3000km ride home to Darwin, I bought one of these (throttle rocker) from Peter Stevens..

Did the trick just nicely. You can relax your grip, use the heel of your hand etc. Cost me less than $20 and I stow it in the ducktail when I'm not using it - which is most of the time!

The throttle rocker is what I use. Stays on my bike all the time. Once you get used to it, you'll hardly even notice it's there. From memory I paid about $10 for it.... A few years ago. Be warned, it won't help you stop getting a speeding ticket tho!

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 10 May 2014, 10:14 pm

Kiwisteve wrote:
TropoBone wrote:

The throttle rocker is what I use. Stays on my bike all the time. Once you get used to it, you'll hardly even notice it's there. From memory I paid about $10 for it.... A few years ago. Be warned, it won't help you stop getting a speeding ticket tho!

Good thing you got the red one and not the faster black one then  Razz  Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 11 May 2014, 6:13 am

Not wanting to be a party pooper but I don't like cruise controls on cars or any device that will hold the throttle open on a bike.
I reckon if your hand is going numb maybe your brain is also and it's time to take a break.
I have experienced driver fatigue a few times, particularly when I was working 14+ hour days at the mines and I know if the vehicle hadn't slowed, I wouldn't be typing this now.

My biggest issue is should you fall asleep due to fatigue, illness or whatever, the device does not release the throttle.

The little plastic jobbies do not have these issues as removing your hand from the throttle allows it to close.

Apart from my safety concerns, does anyone know how insurance companies would respond to such a modification and are you putting your insurance at risk.

I guess the best way to answer that question is for someone to submit a modification advice and see the response.

I might do just that next week myself. Very Happy  Very Happy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 11 May 2014, 12:11 pm

BanditDave wrote:Not wanting to be a party pooper but I don't like cruise controls on cars or any device that will hold the throttle open on a bike.
I reckon if your hand is going numb maybe your brain is also and it's time to take a break.
I have experienced driver fatigue a few times, particularly when I was working 14+ hour days at the mines and I know if the vehicle hadn't slowed, I wouldn't be typing this now.

My biggest issue is should you fall asleep due to fatigue, illness or whatever, the device does not release the throttle.

The little plastic jobbies do not have these issues as removing your hand from the throttle allows it to close.

Apart from my safety concerns, does anyone know how insurance companies would respond to such a modification and are you putting your insurance at risk.

I guess the best way to answer that question is for someone to submit a modification advice and see the response.

You make some very valid points there .............I know someone it happened to , but if you use them as preventative before the fact , & not as a cure after the numbness, they work well . ( especially if you have something like rheumatoid arthritis and some movement now and then helps )   The insurance issue is quite interesting , I suppose they could treat it as any other modification & it would depend who was assessing it .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sun 11 May 2014, 9:37 pm

I've got one, useful for the occasional need for use of the right hand or stretch. 

It came with the bike, can't see a brand.  It mounts on the bars inboard of the switch block and clamps a band on the throttle twist grip with an adjustable metal band.   

It's Ok, is adjustable, tends to "creep" after a while.  It serves its purpose.  

I don't value throttle locks as "cruise control" devices.  Cruise control might be OK on cars.

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 12 May 2014, 11:38 am

BanditDave wrote:Not wanting to be a party pooper but I don't like cruise controls on cars or any device that will hold the throttle open on a bike.

I reckon if you've fallen asleep on a motorcycle, having a throttle lock or cruise control on is going to be the least of your problems. 

As for insurance, I have it noted on mine and it's never been a problem (Western QBE).
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 12 May 2014, 1:37 pm

Here is the response from my insurer

The fitment of throttle locks is very much up to personal preference.  The example you have given, of the Omni-Cruise is quite a good one, from a safety perspective, as it can be deactivated by either rolling off the throttle or by the application of the front brake. 

We do not have any claims on file, nor have I spoken to any individuals, where the fitting of a throttle lock has been a direct contributor to an accident or claim. As far as transport authorities are concerned, provided it does not actually interfere with the application of the brakes or the ability of the throttle to function as intended, then my understanding is that it would not be considered a device that would make the motorcycle “unroadworthy.”

Our position is the same: provided the brakes and throttle still function as intended, we do not have any issue with the fitting of these devices to a motorcycle.

I guess this is good news for people using/considering throttle locks. As B12Mick's insurance company and mine are both "agreeable" to these devices then I consider it must be OK. I still do not like them nor would I fit one.
If I was fitting one I would still feel more at ease to have it listed as a modification on my policy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Cruise control/throttle locks Empty BrakeAway Cruise Control

Post  icestormmusic Wed 14 May 2014, 6:58 am

I ended up getting the BrakeAway throttle lock, since it has the override on front brake activation.  Seemed like the safest choice that was available!

brakeawayproducts dot com

The installation wasn't too bad - it definitely required a bit of adjustment on the lever position (had to change the rotation of the brake lever.)

So far, it's been great!  I haven't had more than a few hundred miles on it, but I will update as the weather starts to improve.

-Daniel

icestormmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 14 May 2014, 6:52 pm

icestormmusic wrote:I ended up getting the BrakeAway throttle lock, since it has the override on front brake activation.  Seemed like the safest choice that was available!
-Daniel

I liked the safety of the Breakaway as well, pity they are so expensive.  Here's a little write-up of my install from a couple of years ago:  Breakaway Install

Cruise control/throttle locks Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  LazyD Wed 14 May 2014, 9:57 pm

The brakeaway looks awesome, nice and neat just a bit pricey but if it works well and looks that neat is probably worth it.
2 questions though....
1. How wide is the metal piece that goes across the grip? (Does it intrude on it much)
2. Is there an oz distributor or do you just buy straight from the us website?
Really interested in this one, otherwise the omni cruise seems to be the most universal/usable, just don't like the inconvenience of taking on and off when you ride/park somewhere.

Thanks again for all the replies guys, thinking music please.....

LazyD

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 14 May 2014, 11:25 pm

It takes away about 10mm from the right portion of the grip.  Pete mentioned at the end of my install thread that he cut the the small ridge of the bar-end (right side) of the grip as he found it annoying/painful on longer trips.  I've got Grip Puppies that I slipped on over the original grips, found they give better cushioning.

Cruise control/throttle locks Img_3011
Cruise control/throttle locks Img_3012

I bought my unit directly from the US manufacturer, not sure if anyone is importing them, can't remember what the postage was, don't think it was too bad, took 9 days from order to delivery.

Cruise control/throttle locks Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: