Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out?

+4
Kaupy1962
BCNU
gus
Dekenai
8 posters

Go down

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? Empty Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out?

Post  Dekenai Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:10 pm

Could someone who has a stock B1250 (preferably a K8 ABS) count how many threads are visible on the rear axle with the axle nut torqued down? I just want to confirm the overall width of the wheel/spacers/rear brake caliper bracket.

Thanks in advance (hopefully!).
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? Empty Re: Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out?

Post  gus Mon 19 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

3 non abs though
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? Empty Re: Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out?

Post  BCNU Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:28 pm

Dekenai wrote:Could someone who has a stock B1250 (preferably a K8 ABS) count how many threads are visible on the rear axle with the axle nut torqued down? I just want to confirm the overall width of the wheel/spacers/rear brake caliper bracket.

Here you go 2012 with ABS... should be the same

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? 20121113

Current Bike
Suzuki Bandit 1250SA

Past Bikes
Honda K2 CB750/4
Kawasaki Z1R MKII
Kawasaki GPZ 1000 RX
Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (D4)

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 21 Nov 2012, 3:16 am

Thanks guys, this is where it is at the moment,

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? DSC00106

Mounted a K6 - K9 GSX-R750 rear wheel with a modified gixxer caliper and hanger,

Thought that would need to go about 2 mm reduction in spacing, but now (as is 1.5 mm pitch thread) it looks like it might need to go nearer 3 mm.

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? DSC00108
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 21 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

BCNU wrote:
Dekenai wrote:Could someone who has a stock B1250 (preferably a K8 ABS) count how many threads are visible on the rear axle with the axle nut torqued down? I just want to confirm the overall width of the wheel/spacers/rear brake caliper bracket.

Here you go 2012 with ABS... should be the same

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? 20121113

Mines 2009 no abs and it's the same as this.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? Empty Minimum thread stick out

Post  truck Wed 21 Nov 2012, 1:28 pm

Hey all,

I thought from a safety point of view there was a general rule of a minimum 2.5 - 3 threads after nut has been tightened.

Looking at your photo Dekanai I would not think that is enough protrusion for mine.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 21 Nov 2012, 3:16 pm

Hey Dek. Are you going to do a couple of runs of spacers? I've thought about going to a slightly lighter/better looking rim like on the 600/750.

So what are you doing with the sensor ring? Or are you disabling the ABS?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Actually do have a set of Marchesini rims, also for a K6 - 9 GSXR750. So, the first step is to fit the gixxer wheels as the chain run is already correct (only had to substitute the B1250 spacer for the gixxer one on the sprocket side), now need to sort out the brake side. The gixxer caliper hanger is a bit narrower than the B1250 one, so there is a little to play with on that side, which should be close after the spacer is reduced by 2mm, probably more but the last mm or so will be a matter of checking the wheel alignment and doing what is required. Here's a pic of the Marchesini's during a trial fit.
Unfortunately RD have given up on the ABS for the moment, too much involved with sorting the sensor rings and sensors, but have not done anything yet that will prevent it's return in the future.

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? DSC00063_cropA
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:01 pm

looks schmick

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:08 pm

Certainly does .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:35 pm

just as a point of interest to anyone that may not know,rule of thumb for anything structual,is to have 3 threads showing when tight.

looks good mate!!

what did you do about your top triple clamp when you put the USD forks on?..i`m not up on the water cooled models for the fork length!

I know with oil cooled,if I was to go with a billet,or hand made triple, to keep with the same geometry,its about a $1000
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

@Dek. The bike is looking a million bucks..... please get rid of the barn doors though and replace them with slim line LEDs. I've just fitted Rizoma Track 77's and they not only look good but they are bright. $200 for 4 is a bit steep but it's only money right Smile

So when are you doing up a kit for us poor sods to convert to GSXR rims? oh and upside down GSXR forks.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:10 am

mtbeerwah wrote:just as a point of interest to anyone that may not know,rule of thumb for anything structual,is to have 3 threads showing when tight.

looks good mate!!

what did you do about your top triple clamp when you put the USD forks on?..i`m not up on the water cooled models for the fork length!

I know with oil cooled,if I was to go with a billet,or hand made triple, to keep with the same geometry,its about a $1000

Went through the Ohlins catalog and all USD sets were around 40 mm shorter than the stock Bandit forks, (maybe down to the steeper rakes of sports bikes?). Anyway looked at a drop upper clamp and was quoted around $1200 for a custom billet job, ouch! Laurie Smith (of Suspension Smith) came up with the current setup, which is a flat upper clamp plus a couple of adapters which take up the missing 40 mm. The geometry is almost the same, except that the offset is reduced by 2mm (used a gixxer 1000 K7/8 lower triple, if a K5/6 had been used then the offset would be identical). The cost was about $500.

Good to know about the 3 threads rule...didn't know but makes sense.

Need a little help! How much axle is sticking out? DSC00502
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:20 am

reddog wrote:@Dek. The bike is looking a million bucks..... please get rid of the barn doors though and replace them with slim line LEDs. I've just fitted Rizoma Track 77's and they not only look good but they are bright. $200 for 4 is a bit steep but it's only money right Smile

So when are you doing up a kit for us poor sods to convert to GSXR rims? oh and upside down GSXR forks.

Love too, trying to stay fairly stealthy though...not sure I will even keep the tinted Puig screen. Really want to make look like it came from the factory that way, if nothing else to avoid attracting the wrong kind of attention...still, have been known to change track.

The gixxer rims are hugely lighter that the bandit wheels (and not significantly heavier than the Marchesini's), but would probably suggest 'busa USD's as they have a 25 mm cartridge (20 mm on gixxers, all Ohlins FGRT units are 25 mm).
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 24 Nov 2012, 10:20 am

that looks the goods!!

i`ll be looking at the same structual set up

was also thinking of adjustable rake

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:47 pm

If you want to look stealth then I'd be ditching the Ohlins stickers. My bike has no stickers even though I have Arrow, Yoshimura, ST machine, Carbon Fibre by GUS, Rizoma parts etc.

Not a sticker person anyways. Got a person at work the other day that quoted "That is a nice bike is it new?". I was a bit chuffed, I told him it was a 2007 model that I bought in October of that year so it's 5 years old. He said cool, how big is it. I told him 1250, I upgrade from a 250 in 2007 to a 1250 Smile

Alls good in the world. So a kit for the Busa bits? interested? I am.

Anyone else?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum