Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Continental Road Attack 2

+11
Jimmy the Boy
Corsa79
Kaupy1962
reddog
SkyGoddess
Ewok1958
Boatz
2wheelsagain
rolls
paul
Jimcoleman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  Empty Continental Road Attack 2

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 14 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

ok getting ready for my first big scoot next month, notice that my Michelin PR2 is still good but it aint going to make it all around the trip. i'll have done about 7 to 8 thousand ks on it by the time its cactus, so i very happy with the tyre.

But i'm a bit interested in a Continental Road Attack 2 it seems to get a good write up and aussiebiker has them for $247.00 plus $15 Freight
so there a bit cheaper than the PR3

Anyone had a crack at one of these tyres and if you have what sort of milage do you get, i don't want to get it and find its worn out at 4000klm when if i'd spent a little more money get twice the Milage out of the PR3
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  Empty Continental Road Attack 2

Post  paul Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

It looks like you get to be the guinea pig Jim . Wink

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  Empty Re: Continental Road Attack 2

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

yes it appears that way mmmmm heads or tails

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm

looks like tails it is. ok heres my first product test. read a couple of reviews from some website called canyon riders, any way they reckon 6000 to 7000 miles compared to 5000 on the PR2, so there a bit cheaper $260 including freight compared to $320

gunna ring up aussiebiker tomorrow order one so its ready for the ride next month and lets see what the results are

nothing ventured nothing gained
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:27 am

I'm really happy with the PR3 on the back. It has about 400km on it now. I ordered it from Jake Wilson on a Tuesday morning and it arrived 7am on the friday.

AU$218 to my door in 2 1/2 days from the US. It cost me $20 to get it fitted. Why would you buy something from here?

Jake Wilson tyres
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:27 am

I've often looked at the Conti's and thought they look and sound pretty good but just can't switch from what I know.
However a great price can convince me otherwise.

Are you saying you'll only get 8000 out of the PR2's Jim? That's about half what most get.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

rolls wrote:I'm really happy with the PR3 on the back. It has about 400km on it now. I ordered it from Jake Wilson on a Tuesday morning and it arrived 7am on the friday.

AU$218 to my door in 2 1/2 days from the US. It cost me $20 to get it fitted. Why would you buy something from here?

Jake Wilson tyres

Rolls, How the hell can it only take 2 1/2 days. I don't think i have ever got anything from the states any quicker than about 10 days. Currently got something on the way that passed through sorting facility 6 days ago , still hasn't landed in oz. How do you do it? Laughing

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

As I posted elsewhere, I recently changed the PR2's at 16,000kms (they were dead) for PR3's. I'm loving the PR3's but then I'd probably say that about any new tyre compared to some dead ones. The other option I briefly considered were the Metzeler Z8's based on comments hereabouts. And yes, I am constantly amazed at how fast people get stuff from JW in the States. They must be world best practice in supply chain management!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

Well i ordered the conti RA2 i saw a mate of mine in bega who has a beema and swears by them so will let you know how they go i thought $200 from motosports.com was a fair price plus with black chilli technology its goota be good
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Thu 16 Feb 2012, 6:22 am

Boatz wrote:Rolls, How the hell can it only take 2 1/2 days. I don't think i have ever got anything from the states any quicker than about 10 days. Currently got something on the way that passed through sorting facility 6 days ago , still hasn't landed in oz. How do you do it? Laughing

It's just this special skill I have. scratch

My first order I had with them, I ordered on a Monday morning and it arrived on the Friday. Part of that order was a chain rivetting tool that broke, so I got on the JW site and clicked on complaints (or something like that) and a chat window appeared. I told them my story and 15 minutes later I had a refund send to my credit card (15 minutes! Not 15 days).
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

rolls wrote:
Boatz wrote:Rolls, How the hell can it only take 2 1/2 days. I don't think i have ever got anything from the states any quicker than about 10 days. Currently got something on the way that passed through sorting facility 6 days ago , still hasn't landed in oz. How do you do it? Laughing

It's just this special skill I have. scratch

My first order I had with them, I ordered on a Monday morning and it arrived on the Friday. Part of that order was a chain rivetting tool that broke, so I got on the JW site and clicked on complaints (or something like that) and a chat window appeared. I told them my story and 15 minutes later I had a refund send to my credit card (15 minutes! Not 15 days).

They must ship your stuff via Concord (if they still exist). Smile

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:55 pm

Definitely not Concord Boatz - on 25 July 2000, Air France Flight 4590 crashed in Gonesse, France, killing all 100 passengers and the nine crew members on board, and four people on the ground. As a result of that crash and other factors, its retirement flight was on 26 November 2003. ABC did a really good documentary on the life of Concorde last year - well worth a watch if you can get hold of it.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

i hope the concorde wasn't using continental tyres mmmm
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyGoddess Wed 29 Feb 2012, 7:43 pm

I have the RA 2's fitted, 7874km, and the front has developed a small bubble. The next ride now is to the tyre place, hopin' and a prayin' that I make it. Do my esteemed colleagues on this forum think a bubble in the tyre is unusual - maybe a warranty claim - or just plain unlucky?

I was very happy with the tyres when fitted, superior to the Michelin Road Pilot 2 (~12000 km from them), but I thought I would have got better mileage from the RA2's.

SkyGoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

SkyGoddess wrote:

I was very happy with the tyres when fitted, superior to the Michelin Road Pilot 2 (~12000 km from them), but I thought I would have got better mileage from the RA2's.

Wash your mouth out! Laughing
Got a pic of the bubble?
It does sound like a failure you should be able to have something done.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:07 pm

If you have a bubble I would contact the manufacturer with photos.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:31 pm

SkyGoddess wrote:I have the RA 2's fitted, 7874km, and the front has developed a small bubble. The next ride now is to the tyre place, hopin' and a prayin' that I make it. Do my esteemed colleagues on this forum think a bubble in the tyre is unusual - maybe a warranty claim - or just plain unlucky?

You may need to jump up & down a bit because sometimes they only want to compensate you for the remaining wear left in the tire . Given that it has done nearly 8000 km they may try to wriggle out of it . Stick to your guns & be insistent ,sometimes their good name is important enough to sway their opinion , but see what they say about it first .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

Warranty job. I once claimed warranty on a Bridgestone steel belted 60series when a screwdriver went through it, handle and all, The dealers said it shouldn't happen and gave me a new one. That was 12months after buying them.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  Empty How are these going?

Post  Corsa79 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

Hi the only tyre I can get into Julia creek is the roadattack2 and going the gt variant. any more updates on the continentals or has anyone else tried them. They sound ok and sound like they should well wearing. The oem rear is buggerd with nearly no treat left after 3500km but I  do have lots of strait hot roads to travel before I get anywhere fun. Outside temp over summer gets to 48deg. Would like to go pilot road 3 but have the contis orderd now
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
SkyGoddess wrote:

Wash your mouth out!  Laughing
Got a pic of the bubble?
What do think Chris? I think some of these guys must be doing something cruel to their PR2's to get such low mileage from them.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:59 am

I have Conti RAs and I've never had a " moment "with them. I probably havent put enough Kms on them to be a fair judge on wear ( Bout 4000 I think ). But so far I would purchase them again.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

Kaupy1962 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
SkyGoddess wrote:

Wash your mouth out!  Laughing
Got a pic of the bubble?
What do think Chris? I think some of these guys must be doing something cruel to their PR2's to get such low mileage from them.
Well John I’m still scratching my head over why I’m looking at 1/3 less mileage out of this set of PR2’s than the last set.
These will be lucky to see 12,000km. I’m lighter and running the same pressures as always and if anything gentler on the bike because I have a choice of bikes these days.
My only conclusion is that quality varies and if that’s the case with Michelin it’s probably the case with all of the established brands meaning someone’s personal review on a tyre could be just on that tyre.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:58 pm

Corsa79 wrote:Hi the only tyre I can get into Julia creek is the roadattack2 and going the gt variant. any more updates on the continentals or has anyone else tried them. They sound ok and sound like they should well wearing. The oem rear is buggerd with nearly no treat left after 3500km but I  do have lots of strait hot roads to travel before I get anywhere fun. Outside temp over summer gets to 48deg. Would like to go pilot road 3 but have the contis orderd now

On a ride back from Darwin I stopped at Mt Isa for a new rear tyre for the Bandit.

Two bike shops, neither stocked the 180/55-17 (probably the most popular tyre size on the bigger road bikes)
Both told me they could order a tyre for me but it would take 5 days from Brisbane. What a crock of shit!!

A car tyre dealer suggested I contact a truck tyre dealer in Cloncurry (just on the eastern side of town).
I phoned him and he organised a PR2 from Townsville.
The tyre was delivered on the McCafferty coach and available at 7:30 the following morning.

The truck dealer said he was not legally able to fit the tyre to the bike but if I took the wheel off he could fit the tyre to the rim. Too easy.
He even provided me with a jack to support the bike and a spanner to remove the wheel.

I believe the tyre came from Rising Sun Honda in Townsville.

If you are happy to fit the tyre yourself, maybe you could purchase from them directly and meet the McCafferty coach at Julia Creek.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 21 Oct 2013, 2:54 pm

Corsa79 wrote:Hi the only tyre I can get into Julia creek is the roadattack2 and going the gt variant. any more updates on the continentals or has anyone else tried them. They sound ok and sound like they should well wearing. The oem rear is buggerd with nearly no treat left after 3500km but I  do have lots of strait hot roads to travel before I get anywhere fun. Outside temp over summer gets to 48deg. Would like to go pilot road 3 but have the contis orderd now
Not trying to spoil your day but I just had a look on the Jake Wilson website

PR3 (both front and rear) $406 including freight and exchange rate

PR2 .............................. $342 .........................................

I notice they also make a B model which is designed for greater loads i.e. pillion and luggage. Maybe this tyre does better on the long straight roads.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Corsa79 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:57 pm

Thanks for that I like to support localy if I can as I work in rural supply store and hope the locals support me to also the hardware owner helps me out and I can pay them off but that's just small towns for you. I know the tyre shop in Cloncurry bloody good bloke helped me find the yokahama all terrains for my forrester having 17s standard being the xt version. The only option I have here is to fit tyres myself and have a bit of research on the net about changing them. Don't look much harder than changing xr400 tyres (just got to protect rim)which I done a fair bit of on station when working on one. Ill be down in the Bay to visit the old over Christmas BanditDave as I grew up there.
Just an after thought im getting the GTs in the roadattack2 they are suppose to be for heavier bikes so hope that will help with ware on the strait roads being supposedly tuffer in the centre like the pr3
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next