Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helmet Noise

+16
Ewok1958
reddog
gus
Baz
Dekenai
potatomasher
Cameron
b12mick
chips
2wheelsagain
Hammy
Bucky
madmax
dhula
paul
Boatz
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Helmet Noise - Page 2 Empty Helmet Noise

Post  Boatz Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone recommend a helmet thats quite at highway speeds. My Rjays Tourtech is pretty noisy, maybe because its a flip up helmet.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Helmet Noise - Page 2 Empty Re: Helmet Noise

Post  Mpottsy Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

dhula wrote:DIY fitted earplugs
I haven't got any yet but am considering it. Worth a try at least given the price.
Get two colours, one for the left and one for the right, then I'll know which way to turn

I brought some of these and it was okay ish. Be very carfull and not to push to deep into the ear as it will be uncomfortable this was my mistake. I tried to then trim them down a little which created sharpe edges which were a little better but still not great. I am now making an appointment to get a professional set made cost $200 with moulds so repeat sets or even in ear headphone can be made at a later date.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:55 pm

Boatz wrote:Can anyone recommend a helmet thats quite at highway speeds. My Rjays Tourtech is pretty noisy, maybe because its a flip up helmet.

I have shoei helmets my current lid of choice is the XR1100. I tried on every make of helmet in the shop and found this brand to be the best fitting and most comfortable of all of them. I also liked the gap dept around the ear as i was able to fit my comms speakers nicly in the space without them touching my ears. If i end up getting in ear moniters i would even consider getting the new X12. I have found these helmets to be fairly quiet even on long rides with out the need for ear plugs.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:32 am

having suffered the same problem with my shark Vision-R and reading your fixes, I decided to try the hand under the helmet test well bugger me it dropped the wind noise down by about 60 % amazed is what i say another nail in that poxy dry rider Jackets coffin.

Now I'm not fussed on the sock bought one and hate wearing it, so some advice from a mate i bought a dirt bike collar for $45. it now serves 3 purposes it cuts the wind noise down dramatically, it supports the helmut ( eases a sore neck on long rides) and i suppose in a accident help support my neck ( yet to test that ) its very comfy to wear, as of yesterday did a run down the bonang with lunch at the Marlo Hotel then back to merimbula and i was stoked
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:24 am

The noise come up and enters under your chin doesn't it .A scarf used to fix it .What ever happened to them on bikes ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

I had a cheap RJ's helmet that I bought when I returned to riding but for the past 12mths or so have had one of the Shark Carbon RS2's (I think that was the model - white with a carbon look around the neck line) - both have been noisy but the Shark is better than the RJ's. (although there seems to be more wind noise around my left ear for some reason?)

I now often use an iPod connected to speakers I've put inside the helmet so the wind noise isn't bothersome... also have a little microphone up the front of the helmet for comms' with the pillion, found that wearing one of those neck warmers helps keep the draught out and helps reduce the noise which can come over the sound of the speakers..

I read somewhere on a Bike accessory site that a sort of neck sock is available that stretches over the bottom of the helmet and also has a stretchy hole in it to fit your head through - into the helmet. The idea was to keep the air out of the helmet from the bottom 'up'... sort of the same result as wearing a 'neck warmer' but maybe a little cooler in the warmer weather... Idea

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

At the recent Perth bike show we (whole family) got some molded ear plugs made up from a shop that is in Fremantle. Can't remember the name of the shop but when I find the card I'll post up the info.
Got normal plugs for the kids as their ear holes where a bit too small for speaker type and me and the mrs got speaker type.
Cost us a bit over $400 for all 4 sets but I think that was a show special.
They didn't take a mold as they inject the special stuff directly into the ear and wait for it to set then trim it of any sharp edges and coat it with some other stuff.
Took all of 5 mins in the chair to get the molding done and then about 1/2 hour of other work (but they were very busy so there was a line up of plugs to do).

I have to say the plugs are friggin awsome. Even without the tunes going it is quiet under my RJays flip up to the extent I wore the helmet the other day for a full day ride. The tunes is a bonus too.
Having used numerous earplug styles in the past and now onto these molded type, I would recommend them to all that ask as they are cumfy (took me a day or 2 to get used to them), block out noise really well and just work. Expensive yes, but what price your hearing (and in my case the kids hearing)

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:21 pm

They were most likely Earmold plugs I'd expect
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:21 pm

The name of the mob that did the plugs for us was Protec Hearing

dhula