Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine noise

3 posters

Go down

Engine noise Empty Engine noise

Post  Lurch Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Afternoon guys,
Quick one; is a little extra engine noise/rattle normal once the engine *really* warms up? (read: just taken it out for a flogging)
Lurch
Lurch

Back to top Go down

Engine noise Empty Re: Engine noise

Post  rolls Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:24 pm

Did you adjust the valves to sort out the engine vibe? It may be them if you didn't. Most probably the cam chain.

I just replaced the cam chain and tensioner. It's amazing how quiet the donk is now. I only wanted to replace the chain, but I tighened the big bolt on the tensioner to spec with a torque wrench and threaded the body. Steel bolt into an alloy body.

Is the noise generally more rattles, or is it a specific knock / tap? Did you get a full service history with the bike?
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:46 pm

If it quietens when you squeeze the clutch, it's the usual Suzuki 4 clutch rattle. If so, a good throttle body sync quietens things
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:57 pm

rolls wrote:Did you adjust the valves to sort out the engine vibe? It may be them if you didn't. Most probably the cam chain.

I just replaced the cam chain and tensioner. It's amazing how quiet the donk is now. I only wanted to replace the chain, but I tighened the big bolt on the tensioner to spec with a torque wrench and threaded the body. Steel bolt into an alloy body.

Is the noise generally more rattles, or is it a specific knock / tap? Did you get a full service history with the bike?

No, no history unfortunately.
Most of the vibrations have gone since doing the TPS tune and fitting the new pipe. To me it sounds cam-chain(ish). And its only when the bike gets properly warm (not hot, just well warm).
kewwig wrote:If it quietens when you squeeze the clutch, it's the usual Suzuki 4 clutch rattle. If so, a good throttle body sync quietens things
Cant say I've taken note of that. I'll be taking the bike work tomorrow so I'll post back up and let you know.

I just know my air-cooled XJR got a little noise when hot and there was nothing really wrong with it, it just did it.
Lurch
Lurch

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

How'd you get on?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:13 pm

Pulling the clutch in makes no difference.

To be honest, it's not loud enough for me to be really concerned. I guess Im too used to water cooled bikes of late Smile
Lurch
Lurch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down