Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helmet Noise

+16
Ewok1958
reddog
gus
Baz
Dekenai
potatomasher
Cameron
b12mick
chips
2wheelsagain
Hammy
Bucky
madmax
dhula
paul
Boatz
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Helmet Noise Empty Helmet Noise

Post  Boatz Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

Can anyone recommend a helmet thats quite at highway speeds. My Rjays Tourtech is pretty noisy, maybe because its a flip up helmet.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Helmet Noise Empty helmet noise

Post  paul Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm

I`ve got 2 hjc helmets /1 ordinary & 1 with the inside flip down sun-visor . They fit my head the best but I still get a fair bit of wind noise from them both .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Helmet Noise Empty Re: Helmet Noise

Post  dhula Mon 31 Oct 2011, 12:25 am

While I agree the tourtech is a noisy helmet (I wear ear plugs with mine), much of helmet noise can come from the way the wind is pushed off/around the bike itself. Get the helmet into clear air and it is surprising how quite some of them can be.

I also have a OGK that I wear everywhere but to and from work. I found that behind some windshields it was noisyish and in some cases got a fair old buffeting. Take the shield away and holy shit did it change. Just a gentle whoosh as the wind goes past and stable.

Mrs wears a shark RSI helmet and says pretty much the same thing about hers.

I'm up for a new flipup helmet soonish so will be looking around fro something suitable.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:31 am

A mate of mine has a Rjays Tourtech and he also reckons its noisy. Apparently all flipface helmets generally are.
Another mate has a HJC IS-16, the one with the built in sun visor. He also complained that its noisy.

I've got 2 shark helmets an RSR2 and a new Vison-R they both make some noise. The noise level in the RSR2 has never bothered me to the point of needing earplugs.
As I only got the Vision-R the other day and have only used it once on a very windy day. So its probably not fair to access it just yet. At least it isn't worse than the RSR2

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:43 am

I've got an RJays Tourtech set up with an intercom that I use with the Mrs on the back & a Shoei TZR when I ride by myself. As everyone has said the Tourtech is noisy. The Shoei, as well as being much quieter with less buffeting, also has much better periferal vision. If you can put up with the noise though the flip up's are handy. Great if you feel a sneeze coming Laughing

Cheers,

Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:46 am

ALL helmets are noisy to some degree, regardless of manufacturers claims. I would put comfort over noise any day of the week though. As said above , you can always wear earplugs. For the record, I find my Arai Corsair to be the comfiest and quietest helmet I have owned.

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:10 am

HJC CL-15 is my lid of choice because it fits by boof.
I have several jackets that all make various amounts of noise through the helmet so a lid isnt the end of the story.
You cant beat earplugs for longer tours though regardless of helmet brand.

I'd rather a noisy lid that fitted and use ear plugs than a quiet one that looks good and does nothing else.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 31 Oct 2011, 12:45 pm

I notice the same thing 2wheels...

I wear an Arai Vector, such a nice confortable place to be....

But, the noise really depends on the bike I'm riding and the jacket I'm wearing...

My old gs500 naked actually has less wind noise at 100 even though the bandit has the fairing, although thats because the fairing direct the wind straight onto my chest and up into the helmet. A bigger touring screen will solve this.

My winter jacket is also quieter than my summer jacket. This is because the summer jacket has heaps of space between the helmet and the collar of the jacket but the winter jacket comes almost up to my chin.... makes a big difference.

Simple solution is earbuds so you get good music with no wind noise....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

As others have said, if the helmet is otherwise comfortable and fits you properly, buy some ear plugs, or 'in ear' noise cancelling ear phones and an MP3/iPOD and listen to music while you ride.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:21 pm

I cant say what helmets are not noisy, but i can say.
Dont by a matte black shark.
That was my mistake. Sharks seem to be noisy anyway, and the matte finish makes it even worse.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:33 pm

i cant really compare - the last helmet i had was a bell and that was 20 years ago......although the shark i have now i would say is noisy - its increasingly unpleasant at anything over 80 km and i have to wear earplugs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:46 pm

See http://www.crash.org.au/home.html expand the comfort heading to see the measured noise level. Unfortunately they don't have many in their database, as yet.

Last edited by Dekenai on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

I had a Shark but thought that was too noisy. I bought a Shoei XR1100 and even though its less noisy than the shark, it is still too noisy. There is bugger all that can be done to fix it and the only option is to use ear plugs which I find ok if they fit in and expand and fill out all the air holes otherwise the noise gets amplified to unbearable levels.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

DIY fitted earplugs
I haven't got any yet but am considering it. Worth a try at least given the price.
Get two colours, one for the left and one for the right, then I'll know which way to turn

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

I went to my doctor once and he looked in my ears .His comment was ,those are the most hairiest ears i have ever seen . I'm bald ,how fair is that .
To think, i actually get a bit now and then .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

gus wrote:I went to my doctor once and he looked in my ears .His comment was ,those are the most hairiest ears i have ever seen . I'm bald ,how fair is that .
To think, i actually get a bit now and then .

If they`re that hairy you could try a comb over Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

I'll throw in my 2c worth. Both my helmets have been noisy and I've found a fix at least on my expensive Shark RSR2. Go and buy yourself a cheap neck sock from Army surplus or camping shop, wear that and you'll be surprised the noise is nearly all gone. The noise is from the turbulent air coming under the helmet and along your neck. If you can fill the hole between the helmet and your neck the buffetting noise is gone.

I've been spewing about how noisy my Shark was but this certainly fixes the problem regardless of leather or textile jacket.

Mine looks like this Helmet Noise Dririderpolarfleecenecksockblack and cost me $7

You can test my theory, by riding along and putting your han under your helmet. Cup it along your neck hard up against the helmet lining. If it works then it's a cheap fix and makes your ride so much less mentally taxing I find.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

reddog wrote:I'll throw in my 2c worth. Both my helmets have been noisy and I've found a fix at least on my expensive Shark RSR2. Go and buy yourself a cheap neck sock from Army surplus or camping shop, wear that and you'll be surprised the noise is nearly all gone. The noise is from the turbulent air coming under the helmet and along your neck. If you can fill the hole between the helmet and your neck the buffetting noise is gone.

I've been spewing about how noisy my Shark was but this certainly fixes the problem regardless of leather or textile jacket.

You can test my theory, by riding along and putting your han under your helmet. Cup it along your neck hard up against the helmet lining. If it works then it's a cheap fix and makes your ride so much less mentally taxing I find.

Yea, I think this was the point I was trying to make earlier, except you put it so much better.

I do thi in winter but it is just too hot in summer. I would rather be cool and noisy than silent and hot....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

Spot on Reddog ,the noise comes UP and even a summer sock helps .Half the time in winter i'll wear a thick neck sock just for noise reduction .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

+ 1. A scarf is very effective with my RJays but the neck sock would be even better.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

I imagine that wearing a neck sock (something designed to keep you warm) in 35c+ temps wouldn't be particularly comfortable.

Just buy some ear plugs and use them.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  surfacc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:13 pm

I have a Shark RSI and it is noisey but it depends on the jacket I wear. The noise got worse after I changed screens - went for a Suzuki touring screen from the USA - and it seems to direct air blast at my shoulders and bottom of helmet. I bought "Windjammer II" from here
http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Motor_Cycling_Windjammer_II.html
and it seems to stop the wind noise under the helmet.
Funny thing is that I have a cheap open face helmet I use occasionally and because it fits tight around my ears it seems quiter than the full face Shark - although I can't get used to the shit that gets blown up into my face with it on.
On long rides I wear custom molded ear plugs and they are magic for noise reduction - I wear them round the house some times also.
Cheers
Mark
surfacc
surfacc

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:03 pm

surfacc wrote:I have a Shark RSI and it is noisey but it depends on the jacket I wear. The noise got worse after I changed screens - went for a Suzuki touring screen from the USA - and it seems to direct air blast at my shoulders and bottom of helmet. I bought "Windjammer II" from here
http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Motor_Cycling_Windjammer_II.html
and it seems to stop the wind noise under the helmet.
Funny thing is that I have a cheap open face helmet I use occasionally and because it fits tight around my ears it seems quiter than the full face Shark - although I can't get used to the shit that gets blown up into my face with it on.
On long rides I wear custom molded ear plugs and they are magic for noise reduction - I wear them round the house some times also.
Cheers
Mark

are those six slots enough to reduce fogging when traveling at slower speeds in traffic ? I use rainX anti-fog & can still get some fogging in peak hour ( mid winter temperatures )so I realize some fogging is inevitable but it does look the part ( my commute takes in both 100+ kph & city riding ) .I also use a neck warmer in winter but maybe the windjamer is the way to go on a longer ride as it wouldn`t be as hot in warmer weather .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  surfacc Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

I don't ride in cold weather - old age & the wife stop me from doing silly things these days. It does fog up in slow riding if I have been to gym, that is why I started riding with the open face helmet but hat has it's own problems. I will take some photos over the weekend and post them so that you can a look. Other problem is getting it on & off requires a slightly different action or else you tend to hurt your nose. maybe I just have a big nose.
surfacc
surfacc

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm

thanks mate /the picture at the link you posted looked like it may have been a bit restrictive air circulation wise but still maybe good on a trip . looks like I`m older than you so that must make me older & sillier & my wife has given up trying to get me to do / not to do stuff , although I must admit to getting an old car to go to work in on really crappy days recently ( I must be getting soft ! ) Rolling Eyes

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next