Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On, Off throttle

5 posters

Go down

On, Off throttle Empty On, Off throttle

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 11:38 am

Read allot about this surging thing which mine never did and i certainly don't to stir all that up again. Mad

What it did have was an ON, OFF throttle .(1250).Unlike the smooth transition of the carbureted bandit.Going down hill with throttle off
or nearly off it was like go ,stop , go .stop.,This would disappear if i clicked into a higher gear ,but that's not the gear i really wanted in the first
place.
I found if i got rid of all and i mean ALL the slack in the throttle cable (adjusted at the bar end)it was 80% better. Very Happy
Now i don't know if mine came delivered like that (too much slack) or not,and if your old like me (59) we always had a bit of slack
in the cable .I've asked other people about it and they say they have never noticed it (on-off). Question Question
It's amazing how little you open the throttle on the daily ride(calm) I've been looking at it lately ,feels like 50mm actually is 5 to 8mm.
Try getting rid of ALL that slack,i found it much better ,not perfect ,but better.(something to be said for the old carby yet)

Or is there a better way i don't know about? My 1200 (carby) never did it.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

On, Off throttle Empty Re: On, Off throttle

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 05 Dec 2010, 12:04 pm

gus wrote:Read allot about this surging thing which mine never did and i certainly don't to stir all that up again. Mad

What it did have was an ON, OFF throttle .(1250).Unlike the smooth transition of the carbureted bandit.Going down hill with throttle off
or nearly off it was like go ,stop , go .stop.,This would disappear if i clicked into a higher gear ,but that's not the gear i really wanted in the first
place.
I found if i got rid of all and i mean ALL the slack in the throttle cable (adjusted at the bar end)it was 80% better. Very Happy
Now i don't know if mine came delivered like that (too much slack) or not,and if your old like me (59) we always had a bit of slack
in the cable .I've asked other people about it and they say they have never noticed it (on-off). Question Question
It's amazing how little you open the throttle on the daily ride(calm) I've been looking at it lately ,feels like 50mm actually is 5 to 8mm.
Try getting rid of ALL that slack,i found it much better ,not perfect ,but better.(something to be said for the old carby yet)

Or is there a better way i don't know about? My 1200 (carby) never did it.

Also take out the sideways slop on the throttle by rolling an o ring into the gap near the bar end weight. About 2mm ring will do it.
I have always maintained the “issue” is an input issue and I’ve been booted off forums before for suggesting if your throttle control isn’t up to par it’s not the bikes fault.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm

I know what it is. It's the efi not being able to make up its mind if it should give you fuel or not .I believe Yamaha FZ1 are worse as are some BMW's
My Aprilia does NOT does this ,(but it did cost 7grand more so it shouldn't),so it is something that i am not causing, also if i loosen the throttle cable it gets worse.The Bandit is a bargain at that price and i love mine(1250) but the fueling is not perfect.The 1200 i had the fueling was perfect.If the efi was spot on power commander would go out off business.Have an o-ring in place ,like it.
Thanks for comment and suggestions always up for a bit of positive discussion. Very Happy Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 05 Dec 2010, 1:36 pm

There is much (and I mean much) discussion about this problem around the traps.
I too think the transition from closed throttle to slightly open throttle is quite harsh - remember back to the 1st gen VN commonwhores (esp the V6's), bloody horrible in the same situation especially from a standstill. Holden have done heaps (and I mean heaps) of work to get to a point where it is acceptable
Have a look at some of 2WA's vids you can sometimes hear the snatch/clunk as he rolls on the throttle (no offense to your riding style 2WA, just pointing out what I think = the problem)

Some of the harshness is caused by the high tork this engine has at such low RPM's compared to other bikes in this class (over 1 litre in line 4's) IMO

I had many issues early on with my bike concerning fueling and after much experimentation and much posting on forums have got it to a point that I'm almost happy. My acceptance and "riding around" the last little bit also helps.

Currently I have disabled my GP sensor (which can increase the transition problem in some cases) and increased fueling in the idle and 11% throttle opening and above ranges but left the poofteenth - 10% throttle open range stock. I do have some other plans in mind but I've been saying I'll get them done for ages and still haven't so who really knows if I ever will.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 2:20 pm

Could not have put it better myself.

This bike (1250) is very,very good, a slight glinch in the fueling is not going to change my mind on that. Very Happy Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 05 Dec 2010, 3:23 pm

No offence taken mate. I'll have to have a closer listen myself lol. Some of the snatch is chain slack. It's outside spec but I think the specs are to tight. The B1250 is smoother than any other big I4 I have had including other Suzuki's. I'm still not convinced its an inherent problem but a TB/Sync at 24,000km that goes bad might have me convinced.
I am surprised at how agricultural the gearboxes sound on these.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sun 05 Dec 2010, 7:44 pm

I had the on off when i first bought it but after looking at many other suzuki forums i got the answer i needed. when you are in diagnostic mode and bike is idling the display should be -coo. but you want to adjust it to the upper range so as soon as you even slightly touch the throttle the line jumps to the top.. This fixed my problem. it is a pleasure to ride around town

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 8:24 pm

Did sunstate do that for you? All this code stuff leaves me looking like confused
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sun 05 Dec 2010, 8:49 pm

Nah did it myself. its not that hard to do . the only tool you need is a tamperproof allen key set. if you are interested i can right up a do it yourself thing with pictures( i think there is one on the site somewhere already) or im always up for a ride and can come have a look at it with you

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 9:16 pm

I'll take you up on that .I read about it somewhere but got confused I'll be in touch.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 05 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

clicky here

for those with SDS or the healtech OBD tool, the TPS should be 27.9 or close to it at idle/closed throttle.
Remember to create a bunch of slack in the throttle cables when setting the TPS so you don't get a false reading.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 05 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm

I make surfboards for a living.If i could understand all that i wouldn't have too. Shocked Shocked

I'll have another read after a good Lay down. Thanks for the post.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Mon 06 Dec 2010, 5:59 pm

Did you manage to have a look at it Gus?

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 06 Dec 2010, 6:08 pm

I did , know realise i sent an e-mail question to the wrong place so I'll repeat it hear.
In the second photo there's a wire inserted into the plug.
Is that wire shaped like U or two wires like II (not connected)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Mon 06 Dec 2010, 6:34 pm

will be a U shape gus.

How many km you have on the bandit?

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 06 Dec 2010, 6:54 pm

holdenman wrote:will be a U shape gus.

How many km you have on the bandit?

31,000k. This has never been checked (Previous service, difference of opinion) Evil or Very Mad

Thought it must be a U but didn't look like it in the pic.
I'll check it in the morning
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Mon 06 Dec 2010, 7:13 pm

I was going to recommend doing a throttle body sync at the same time.

i have a day off tomorrow so if you are keen send me a pm

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:06 pm

It is a split pin that I have taped the end up on so as to reduce the chance of a short on any metal parts. IN reality should never happen, but can't hurt to be carefull.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:46 pm

Holy heck, back here in kindy, I'm still pushing my cuisenaire rods around! Sad

Might take up knitting after all!!!!!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:09 am

Big thanks to HOLDENMAN who i had never meet before.Rode 150k in the rain to adjust the efi on my bike .
Wouldn'T take any payment and to me made something complicated look easy.Already idols better ,waiting for it
to stop raining before test ride. Here is the man in action.Thanks again H, Very Happy
On, Off throttle DSCF0625
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 07 Dec 2010, 1:43 pm

Finally stopped raining so I took bike out for test ride . What i was hoping for was a slight improvement, what i got was
the problem completely sorted. This is how the bike should have been from new but never was.I can now roll on and off
the throttle without it being jerky. Thanks for everybodys help. Got to love a happy ending.

Last edited by gus on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Tue 07 Dec 2010, 2:07 pm

More then welcome Gus.
Im glad it all worked out good

cheers

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:33 pm

Go back to page one and read down posts until you see CLICK HEAR.Looks complicated until someone shows you, then it starts to make
sense .Do have to have vac. gauges though.I got lucky with holdenman to do it for me.

Having said that not all bikes seem to do it .I asked other bandit riders about it and they had never noticed it.(on,off)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum