Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre Choice ?

+5
Chook
Jimcoleman
Bosco15
Ewok1958
Cheazdad
9 posters

Go down

Tyre Choice ? Empty Tyre Choice ?

Post  Cheazdad Mon 19 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

Looking at grabbing a new set of tyres for my GSX1250 FA, any thoughts on what tyre to grab thats going to give me the best steering, turn in etc my current rubber has a bit of scalloping on the front and flat across the top and the rears are squaring off as well.  Plenty of tread but I want something thats going to complement my recent suspension upgrade from ProMecha here in Melbourne.

Cheazdad

Back to top Go down

Tyre Choice ? Empty Re: Tyre Choice ?

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 19 Sep 2016, 5:05 pm

Oh dear, not again! 

I'm a long term Michelin Pilot Road user, but also tried a set of Pirelli Angels. Michelins are quite sensitive to the correct pressure and turn in relatively slowly.  But I got 16,000kms plus out of two sets of PR2s. Less from PR3s and PR4s. 

The Angels felt very good when near new but I didn't like them much when past the 50% mark. I didn't like them much in the wet but a Pommy bike mag that tested them in the wet (on a Bandit) loved them.

Can't comment on Dunlops as I haven't used them but someone is sure to comment.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 19 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm

Stinko's. Cheap. Good. Go a 160/60 rear and 120/60 front. I did it just because I had a brand new pair off my TRX. 
More oomph because of lower gearing and turn in rocks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 19 Sep 2016, 6:19 pm

Dunlop Road smart 2's $349.00 as set  Rear 180x55x17 and Front 120x70x17  from https://motorcycletyrewarehouse.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 19 Sep 2016, 7:44 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Oh dear, not again! 

I'm a long term Michelin Pilot Road user, but also tried a set of Pirelli Angels. Michelins are quite sensitive to the correct pressure and turn in relatively slowly.  But I got 16,000kms plus out of two sets of PR2s. Less from PR3s and PR4s. 

My PR4 front is shagged and it's done about 9K, back's got a bit left and it's done about 12K, no where near is long wearing as my PR3's and they did more 2up

I was thinking Angel GT's Dave, you weren't happy with them?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 19 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm

I'm getting a good run out of the bridgestones ..............less scalloping etc .than some of the others,and mainly commuting KM which also seems to kill tyres in it's own special way ( around 8,ooo km so far & still going strong ) I have found both my Bandits have been hard on front tyres in particular.

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 19 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

Chook wrote:

My PR4 front is shagged and it's done about 9K, back's got a bit left and it's done about 12K, no where near is long wearing as my PR3's and they did more 2up

My Angels did 9,500kms before I changed them Chook. I thought they were terrific over the first half but the more they wore the less confidence I had in them - that developed very quickly after a wet ride up to Mt Hotham from Bright. That is where the conundrum might be with the Pommy bike mag tyre test of course - they tested in the wet with new tyres (the time I was very happy with mine). So the wear wasn't terrific and my confidence was waning. They probably still had something in them at 9,500kms (not much though) but I changed them anyway (as you know, you can't ride something you don't have confidence in).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheazdad Mon 19 Sep 2016, 11:54 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:
Chook wrote:

My Angels did 9,500kms before I changed them Chook. I thought they were terrific over the first half but the more they wore the less confidence I had in them - that developed very quickly after a wet ride up to Mt Hotham from Bright. That is where the conundrum might be with the Pommy bike mag tyre test of course - they tested in the wet with new tyres (the time I was very happy with mine). So the wear wasn't terrific and my confidence was waning. They probably still had something in them at 9,500kms (not much though) but I changed them anyway (as you know, you can't ride something you don't have confidence in).

yea I'm running Angel GT's with about 50% wear on them, fronts starting to scallop and flatten on the peak while the rear has flattened, tons and tons of tread left but I'm not getting any road feel and they don't like turning in.  Only had the Bike about a month so the wear is from the previous owner and the suspension work I had done by ProMecha ($800 for a front and rear rebuild, modifications, parts labour etc and trust me, if you have the money its well worth it !) worked wonders on the bike, but still the tyres are a let down.  So I guess if I can find something that's going to give me confidence and want to turn in.  By the sounds of it the Angel GT's are great up till they start wearing around 50%, which is a shame when your paying for the full mileage, pity because the tyres are still legal for many many miles, but if you can't trust em....

So best handling tyre suggestions, if I do something dumb i want a smart tyre to get me out of the shit, i'm simply not the good of a rider after 22 years out of the seat to go scraping pegs but if i fuck up, I need to know the tyres can handle that push.

Cheazdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 20 Sep 2016, 5:10 am

Ewok1958 wrote:

My Angels did 9,500kms before I changed them Chook. I thought they were terrific over the first half but the more they wore the less confidence I had in them -

That's how I've felt about my PR 4's
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  dessybarber Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:24 am

I am runnig conti road attack2 evo's had them on my sv650 for 18000k still gripping like crap to a blanket also running them on my bandit 6000k  and no sign of wear yet .grip is great and they seem to wear well.

dessybarber

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:35 am

Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 20 Sep 2016, 8:19 pm

Dekenai wrote:.
I think your computer has run out of ink  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Handy1250FA Wed 28 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

I got 12000 out of my front GT Angel, it probably went off around 9/10000 and i was wondering why the bike felt different. 
New tyre on it now & it feels completely different. (good)
Handy1250FA
Handy1250FA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down