Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen 1 Bandit

5 posters

Go down

Gen 1 Bandit Empty Gen 1 Bandit

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm

Gen 1 Bandit <a href=Gen 1 Bandit Img_0310" />
This probably seems a little weird to be doing a review on a now, 20yr old bike, but I think its relevant.

I`m constantly ridding different bikes, to try and find my perfect steed. Lots of new bikes, and old. Weighing up the pros and cons with all of them.
I thought I was happy with my Gen 2 Bandit, which has been modified considerably, from engine, suspension, breaking, and lighting.
Been a bit of a love hate with it to be honest, over a 12yr period.

I`ve had the Gen1 now for 2yrs, and I have tinkered with it, but only really on a minor scale, to enhance what suzi should have done in the first place. That being, modifying the standard Can to make it breath along with a K&N. A timing advancer, and lifted the needles to richen it up to cope with the better air flow. It now has so much more torque than my modified Gen 2 , up to 5000rpm, its stupid, and I don`t understand why. After that though, the other one annihilates it, but I`m not complaining how it is. You don`t have to take it over 5000rpm, and it easily picks up in second gear.
Its got 117 000kms on it now. I bought it with 99 000kms on it. Last year, I did a compression test on it, and it had 175psi.
New they`ve got 180-185, and you don`t have to worry about them until they get down to 130psi, so it got years still to go before I will have to worry about it.
The big thing with Gen 1`s, was the suspension, and the carby. I`ve pretty well sorted out the wheel tracking thing, with an 07-08 GSXR 1000 shock, and re-valved and sprung the front end to suit the rear.
There`s not a whole lot I can do with the carb, but live with it idiosyncrasies, and that is when its cold, and playing with the choke just so, so it lives and breaths. Once its warm, the bike is absolutely awesome.
Another thing, I really don`t care about fuel economy on bikes, but around town, it gets 18km/L, and on a hi-way run, gets 20.5km/L.
I really can`t see me selling this thing any time soon.
I love it!!!!!

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Gen 1 Bandit Empty Re: Gen 1 Bandit

Post  reddog Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

My mate Jimmy Bandit would agree with you. I've ridden his gen1 and as stated the motor is a ripper. The front suspension is scary and it needs a 6th gear. Apart from that they are still a great bike that's easy to work on.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Mon 18 Apr 2016, 6:03 am

If i gave you my gen1 end can can you mod it same as yours?

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 18 Apr 2016, 7:01 am

Ironman wrote:If i gave you my gen1 end can can you mod it same as yours?

I`ll have to have a good hard think about that Jason.

its not a 5 second job.  It is simply, and quiet involved at the same time.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Gen 1 Bandit Empty Gen 1 Bandit

Post  talon440 Tue 19 Apr 2016, 4:39 pm

MTB, just a suggestion, had a gen 1 about 8 years ago and drilled the pilot jets out with a number drill that nearly fitted in the hole but i actually drilled it through the jet by hand with a tap wrench holding the drill bit very slowly, made a huge difference to cold start and gave it really good bottom end without being to rich even when hot, didnt need to raise the needles as it was fine on cruise and accereration even with a vance and hines muffler
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 19 Apr 2016, 9:05 pm

talon440 wrote:MTB, just a suggestion, had a gen 1 about 8 years ago and drilled the pilot jets out with a number drill that nearly fitted in the hole but i actually drilled it through the jet by hand with a tap wrench holding the drill bit very slowly, made a huge difference to cold start and gave it really good bottom end without being to rich even when hot, didnt need to raise the needles as it was fine on cruise and accereration even with a vance and hines muffler

Thanks mate.
When I get around to it, I will be trying No:40 pilots, opposed to the No:37.5 that's standard. But will buy the jets.
I don`t want to drill out the originals.
Interestingly, if you get a Holeshot jet kit, even stage one, it calls for No:35 pilot, with 127 mains. To do with the overlap between the two. This is only on the Gen 1`s though.
At the moment, its got an average of 12.5 A/F, so its pretty close to being right.
Once its warm, its perfect. It definitely doesn`t lack torque how it is. Its like a truck.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Wed 20 Apr 2016, 2:51 am

mtbeerwah wrote:
Ironman wrote:If i gave you my gen1 end can can you mod it same as yours?

I`ll have to have a good hard think about that Jason.

its not a 5 second job.  It is simply, and quiet involved at the same time.
Yep, I've often thought if I win the Lotto I'll give MTB a call to do some mods to my Bandit . . . one day.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down