Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhausts..........

+5
barry_mcki
2wheelsagain
madmax
Kiwisteve
gus
9 posters

Go down

Exhausts.......... Empty Exhausts..........

Post  gus Sun 14 Sep 2014, 12:16 pm

I went to get a roadworthy yesterday on my sv 650 , it has a Yoshi full system . The guy said I should fail it because of that because the cops are
clamping down on "non stamped " race exhausts . He said he normally turns a blind eye to exhausts but it was getting harder to pass bikes due to
regulation pressure  on non original exhausts . He pasted it but said ," you put that on when you go home ,right ".
Is it a matter of time before they will not get passed ?  I think so .
I live on a "motor cycle road" , some bikes are so LOUD they are obnoxious ,and yes most are the H-D  sunday ride crowd .
Below is not doing anyone a favour .(not mine )

Exhausts.......... 000_0052_zpsd937afb6
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Exhausts.......... Empty Re: Exhausts..........

Post  Kiwisteve Sun 14 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm

The pic that Gus used is a bike that has been seen in NSW!
I bet he takes his bike with the standard can on it for a pink slip

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 14 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm

What does he mean "non stamped"

Exhaust compliance plate?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:54 pm

Well thats interesting.
If I end up trading my Bandit on the VFR1200 the dealer wants the OEM can supplied as well.
Luckily I have it and I think its a stupid "policy" because most bikes they sell will be fitted with aftermarket cans upon pickup but apparently they want OEM for RWC.
To bad if I was trading a Vincent or something.......
My local tester isn't worried as long as its under noise limits and the Beowulf is.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

I think this whole thing about having "Standard Exhaust" is a load of tripe.  When was the last time you heard of a car owner going back to the manufacturer to get an original exhaust when it wore out ?  There would be a lot of exhaust shops out of business if that was the case.  

The rules are pretty simple, you need to be compliant with sound and emmision levels, see here for a bit of info ADR 83/00 about motorbike sound levels, particularly NSW and ACT, which is [75 + 5 =] 80dB(A) for most bikes, but depending on age could be as high as 100dB(A).  Think I saw SA as 90dB(A) for post 1983 vehicles, so you'll need to check for each state.

Usually aftermarket makers mark their systems as "Race Only" or "Non-road use" because they haven't put them through the tests to see if they are compliant or not, who know, some of them might actually be okay.  

Your local exhaust shop will have a sound meter that will give a pretty good indication on how loud you are.  From memory when I last went through ACT rego check the test was a stationary read taken 1 meter from, level and at 45° to the exhaust tip with the engine at 75% max revs.

NSW had an exhaust sticker law that was repealed on 21 Mar 2006, not sure if this was what Gus's rego man was referring to.  I can't find anything really relating to the same thing in Qld.

Exhausts.......... Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

Non stamped means it has not been passed legal buy the "noise police ".
Original exhausts get a stamp saying " passed noise level test at so many revs (about 4ooo I think )
Most 4cylinder seem ok , its those dam twins . Embarassed
Or should I say people who think the loudest  bike wins .
I put a Danmoto(cone shape) on my Bandit and it was so loud I could only do 50 kl comfortably and the bike lost all midrange .
I saw the same exhaust on a Bandit and asked how he liked it . Awsome ,goes like stink ,sounds great .I waited till he took off Mad Mad Mad Mad
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 14 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

the gen one I recently bought, and my drz400e that I bought last year, weren`t going to pass until I put them back to OEM standards.

for the gen 1, I just used my old gen 2 can to pass, and for the drz, I had to put the baffle back in it, which I made I sure I got when I bought the bike, for this very reason.

I`d never throw away the standard system on any bike I bought.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 14 Sep 2014, 6:30 pm

I looked in to this some years ago and my understanding at the time was basically what Barry said, they put a sound level meter some distance and at a specified angle from the exhaust.

The obvious way around it as practised by many American V Twin owners was to put an angled pipe section at the outlet pointing either outwards or downwards.

The "pressure wave" from the exhaust is diverted away from the test microphone resulting in 10 - 20 dB reduction in reading even though the exhaust sound is still very offensive to the ear.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 14 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

It's interesting that to get ADR 83/00 approval on noise in the first place a manufacturer has to pass two tests, the static test as mentioned and there is also a drive past test.  In reality the drive past is the true indication as it takes all noises into consideration, induction, tyre, mechanical, body, wind as well as exhaust.  However almost all State Rego depts use only the static test.  

Not a bike story but I had to laugh at the ACT Rego testers when I got pinged for a too loud exhaust on my old old Fairlane with the 460ci V8 a couple of years ago.  The Rego lads wanted me to take it up to 75% of max revs, then let the throttle off.  I had been pre-warned by the exhaust shop about this as a lot of people fail with the crackle of the exhaust  as the throttle is cut.  They got the irrit's with me when I let the accelerator off under control.  They then said I wasn't taking the engine up to the 75% mark even though they didn't have any records of what this motor was capable off (the Ford Big Block wasn't sold as a main stream motor over here so their records didn't cover it).  I told them it was a truck motor and could only rev to 5,000 rpm so the figure settle on was to be 3750 rpm (in reality it was a worked motor with internals hardened to go well over 8,000 making the 3/4 mark about 6000rpm).  I had a monster tach hooked up as well as the original 6 cyl dash tach.  sorry but I need to explain a little bit about tachs for those who don't know: a V8 has 4 pulses per rev and a 6cyl has 3 pulses, so 3750rpm on the 6 cyl dash tach is 11250 pulses, but that workes out to be only 2812 rpm for the V8).  When I reved it up to 3/4 max they could hear that the revs were too low.  When the tech looked into the car and read the dash tach  he completely missed the 8" Autometer that gave the true reading and read the digital dash tach at 3750rpm.  They then decided they would stick on their own tach right across the coil, I asked them if they wanted me to shut the motor off, "no she'll be right we know what we're doing this isn't our first rodeo".  Well after he picked himself off the ground after touching the MSD6A coil pack they decided the reading they had would be okay and let me go with a pass.  Very Happy

BTW the exhaust shop had already measured the system after they quieten it down and it was 5dB lower than required, the issue was the noise metre used by rego was out of wack, they only get calibrated once a year where as the exhaust shops have to have there's done every month. Shocked

Exhausts.......... Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 15 Sep 2014, 6:25 am

barry_mcki wrote:

BTW the exhaust shop had already measured the system after they quieten it down and it was 5dB lower than required, the issue was the noise metre used by rego was out of wack, they only get calibrated once a year where as the exhaust shops have to have there's done every month. Shocked
If it's a good noise meter it should be capable of being calibrated before every use by the operator
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:29 pm

I used to have a carbonwerkes on the duc and got defected.
Took it to the testing station with the OEM exhaust on it.  The guy told me that some brands (mostly italian, ie ferrari and ducati) are allowed much louder (106db for the diavel) than most other bikes.

He inferred that they can "pay" to be allowed louder exhausts. 
He told me to be happy with the OEM exhaust and that many Harley owners would kill to be allowed 106db.

Since being defected, I've been a good boy and left the factory zorst on Smile
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down