Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector

+3
Ewok1958
paul
Ghostbandit
7 posters

Go down

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Empty Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector

Post  Ghostbandit Thu 21 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

Hey all, after some advice, I received a headlight protector for the bandit from AMHP my drama is the dots didn't adhere to the headlight real well, cleaned the headlight with metho to make sure it was free from grease etc, and put the dots on once it was dry, but once I washed the bike the next day (around 13hrs after putting the dots on) after the wash I noticed I managed to catch one of the dots on the microfiber cloth I was using to polish the bike. Has anyone had this issue? And if so is there an alternative "hook and loop" that I could use

Cheers

Craig
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Empty Re: Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector

Post  paul Thu 21 Aug 2014, 6:53 pm

You could try Spotlight , or the equivalent where you live 
https://www.spotlight.com.au/stores/

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Empty Re: Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 21 Aug 2014, 6:54 pm

Yeah, I found that out the hard way when mine fell off on a ride and was smashed.  I was disappointed because I thought I went to considerable trouble to make sure the surfaces were clean.  So when I got the second one (off a forum member) I used superglue to attach them to the bike.  An extreme solution I do admit.  Smile
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Thu 21 Aug 2014, 7:13 pm

Thanks paul, checked bunnings today but they only had black or tan, will check spotlight tomorrow, yea ewok, It sucks when they arnt supplying a good enough fixing device. That's a bit extreme! But one way to ensure it doesn't come off again  What a Face
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 21 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm

I highly recommend 3M velcro.
It's the best stuff for sticking on action cameras etc.
I had some on an old helmet that I couldn't pull off before chucking the lid in the bin a couple of weeks ago.
3M is cheap on eBay but you might get it at Super Cheap too.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm

Got my protectors (have both a clear and a dark tint) from PowerBronze, they came with these type of plastic velcro like stickers, they have the same hard "hooks" on both halves, been good for 5 years with no hassles at all and the hooks are just the same as when new.

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Img_3510

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:37 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:I highly recommend 3M velcro.
I had some on an old helmet that I couldn't pull off before chucking the lid in the bin a couple of weeks ago.

When I was installing to Pro-oiler I got some from Bunnings.

Oops that was black, didn't read the whole thread.
If the glue doesn't work clean it off and attach with silicon. (silastic)

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:52 pm

barry_mcki wrote:Got my protectors (have both a clear and a dark tint) from PowerBronze, they came with these type of plastic velcro like stickers, they have the same hard "hooks" on both halves, been good for 5 years with no hassles at all and the hooks are just the same as when new.

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Img_3510

Those look like a far better idea then the 4 dots supplied with mine..
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:I highly recommend 3M velcro.

When I was installing to Pro-oiler I got some from Bunnings.

Oops that was black, didn't read the whole thread.
If the glue doesn't work clean it off and attach with silicon. (silastic)

Hey 2 wheels, that might be another option (the silastic)  Very Happy
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Thu 21 Aug 2014, 9:55 pm

Ghostbandit wrote:Those look like a far better idea then the 4 dots supplied with mine..

They actually take some pulling to get the cover off, plus there is a firm attachment "thud" when you place the cover back on.

It is a 3M Product called Dual Lock, it has mushroom type hooks on both pads that interlock with each other.  The 250 hook count in clear is part no TB3560.  I've also used the 400/175 count to hold some electronic components under the seat, trying to get them off is even tougher.  They make good stuff old 3M.

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Duallo10

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:18 am

barry_mcki wrote:
Ghostbandit wrote:Those look like a far better idea then the 4 dots supplied with mine..

They actually take some pulling to get the cover off, plus there is a firm attachment "thud" when you place the cover back on.

It is a 3M Product called Dual Lock, it has mushroom type hooks on both pads that interlock with each other.  The 250 hook count in clear is part no TB3560.  I've also used the 400/175 count to hold some electronic components under the seat, trying to get them off is even tougher.  They make good stuff old 3M.

Heavy duty Velcro for headlight protector Duallo10

Awesome thanks Barry_micki, yea I'm a fan of 3M stuff normally, will try and track some of this type down  Very Happy
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:14 pm

I found some, scotch 3m extreme from bunnings must have got a fresh stock in yesterday arvo of the clear stuff, has the mushroom heads and is in the strips that you can cut to length. Will have a crack at installing it shortly, but had a play just with the strips and it has a nice positive "snap" when you fix the two together.
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:33 pm

I've had an AMHP on my 2005 Bandit and had the same velcro stick ons, they stayed on for 8 years and didn't budge at all.

I was careful when i removed the protector during cleaning so as not to rip them off and make sure the snap locks separated.

On my 2010 model, i've had the protector on for 18months and no problems either.

You really just have to take it easy when you remove the plastic shield protector that the snap locks separate and the sticky parts stay in place.

One solution might be to try double sided tape underneath the snap lock pad that has come loose.

The good thing with the AMHP  was when i sold my 2005 Bandit, i was able to remove the sticky pads and they left no marks or residue at all!

100% satisfaction I've had from both protectors i've used.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down