Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

+10
GSXChris
Cal
kelpie
GGiant
barry_mcki
TropoBone
madmax
Chook
kewwig
pdrider
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Empty Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  pdrider Thu 27 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm

I know there are links to various posts but I am looking for a little more specific feedback. I am now hoping to buy panniers for the GSX1250FA 2012. I like the idea of Givi but whilst I'm hoping to put my crash helmet in it, I don't want anything too big (Crash helmet is an arai XD4 - so has a peak on it). Something that fits nice and snug to the bike and keeps the water out.... Oh yeah and matches the black of the bike ( Dont want to lose the extra speed the black colour gives me!! Very Happy ). I also need to ensure that the fitting is something that a total idiot can fit (that's me). If it means moving indicators I will break out into a sweat but may cope if its very very very easy and clear on how to fit. I have a staintune pipe fitted (I even had to get a mate to do that just in case Embarassed  Embarassed )

I've looked at the GIVI site but am unsure of sizing and how big the items actually are. Also, where to purchase would be helpful. Apoligies for the detailed request but am spending a fair bit and don't want to look and wish I'd done something else. If possible I will add a top box at a later stage.
Thanks in advance folks.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Empty Re: Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  kewwig Fri 28 Mar 2014, 5:02 am

Have a look at the setup on mine. Lots of discussion here:

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t4616-bandit-tyres-panniers
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Empty Re: Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  Chook Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:26 am

I've got the 39L top box, it fits my SHOEI with a bit of room to spare and if I'm doing a 2up day trip I put the panniers on (41L) so I can lock both helmets, I'll post some pics later when I'cve got time
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 28 Mar 2014, 7:29 am

I have a Givi setup on my GSX1250FA. It consists of V47NT top box, V35NT side cases, PLX539 side case rack, & FZ539 top box rack with M5 mounting plate

The V47 top box can hold 2 helmets and the V35s supposedly can hold 1 each.  link here

My setup on the left at Drake
Looking for Panniers and maybe top box IMG_0015_1_zps02290ab4

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:58 pm

I have a '08 with a Staintune pipe.
I bought Kappa K33 panniers and frames. Turned out the frames were Givi (not Kappa) part number PLX539.
I fitted them myself, took about 1.5 hours, including beers and admiring my handiwork every 15 minutes.
Easy. No cutting, nuthin.
Routing the left indicator wire through the gap under the tail lamp was the hardest part of the job.
I can put my hand between the base of the panniers and the Staintune.
There is no drama with clearance in opening the pannier over the Staintune, and no drama with the hot pipe heating/melting the pannier. I fitted them a year ago, looks as good as the day I fitted them.
The Kappa K33 are near as dammit to Givi V35 except they are finished in a matte black. Complements the bike but not as slick as the painted/accented Givi units.
I like them a lot.
They cost 1/2 the price of a Givi V35 and PLX539 rack setup.
They look damned good IMHO.
They keep the water out even during tropical downpours (= 2" rain per hour or more).
BUT
They do not hold my full face Arai Vector helmet. 
They do hold my open faced lid with BlueAnt intercom, just.

I like panniers because they keep the weight lower on the bike.
If I had to wear a full face for commuting and had to lock it in a pannier I would go a top box. There's a Kappa top box on eBay that fits one helmet with room to spare $150 plus $25 freight. You will need to mount it. The Givi rack part number is FZ539 or you may be able to bolt it to a Ventura sport rack?

Staintune pipe. 
Michelin Pilot 2 front and rear
Ventura rack and bag, Kappa K33N panniers.
Racetech gold valves and fork springs.
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 29 Mar 2014, 12:35 am

TropoBone wrote:You will need to mount it. The Givi rack part number is FZ539 or you may be able to bolt it to a Ventura sport rack?

I wouldn't mount the Givi Top Box on the Ventura rack, I reckon it places too much stress on the grab handle bolts.  Pay the extra and get the proper base plate (M5) and mount kit (539FZ).  This kit has the additional support rails that spread the weight of the top box across the grab handle bolts and the rear pillion foot peg mounts.

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Top_mo10
Looking for Panniers and maybe top box 539fz_11

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:13 am

Here's mine with the Monolock 39L top box and 41L panniers

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box 10mions

The top box holds 1 helmet, when I got it I thought about the larger one that takes 2 but I'm glad I went the smaller one, less likely to overload it as their weight limit isn't that high.

I also had the back rest and stop light fitted to the top box, a lot of other riders that have followed me reckon the light is awesome

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box 18f80j
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:01 pm

Thanks guys, some great input. So far it looks like I am keen on the Givi V35's with the Givi rack and will just put up with the indicator issue as building a bracket is way out of my league unless its made out of paper!!

I'm hoping my Arai will fit into the panniers but looking at the links provided I don't think I've seen that fully answered yet. I will go panniers first and then save for a top box and mount to match. 

The killer question now is where do I buy from to get the best price and service?

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:05 pm

try online, I bought mine fitted to the bike when I got it new, could have saved a shit load buying elsewhere except the dealer stuffed up and forgot to include the price of the brackets in the quote Smile
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

Believe it or not, buying from retailers in Italy has been the best savings for a lot of us, half price of the aussie shops and that's with the cost of postage included.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sat 29 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm

I have Hepco-Becker 42L "Journey" side panniers and they hold a Shoei TZX full face. 

The website shows the Bandit equipped with the 40L "Junior", which is a nice neat case but will not hold the Shoei full-face. It holds others apparently, but not the Shoei.

I'm very pleased with the Hepcos, strong, seal well, look nice. I have a 48L top box (not Hepco) I can add, as well. All cases are silver and black and look good!

GG

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Sat 29 Mar 2014, 11:36 pm

barry_mcki wrote:Believe it or not, buying from retailers in Italy has been the best savings for a lot of us, half price of the aussie shops and that's with the cost of postage included.
Yep, that's how I bought mine, and yes, about half the price of local, including freight.

Staintune pipe. 
Michelin Pilot 2 front and rear
Ventura rack and bag, Kappa K33N panniers.
Racetech gold valves and fork springs.
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sat 29 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm

Tried Google but mostly offered US or Aus retailers. Anyone remember who they used from Italy?

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 30 Mar 2014, 12:05 am

pdrider wrote:Tried Google but mostly offered US or Aus retailers. Anyone remember who they used from Italy?

Yep
This guy was extremely helpful http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/piequonline
If they don't have what your looking for just ask them

This is what I paid
GIVI V35NT € 252.00
GIVI PLX359 € 89.00
Shipping to australia € 134.00
Total € 475.00

I did get the top box off them as well but that was over a year ago

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 30 Mar 2014, 2:42 am

I got mine from Lugi at this eBay seller.  If you email them you should be able to get a price on any Givi part, they only list 38 (Givi) items on eBay at the moment.  

It was Apr 2012 when I used them, saved $700 on what the Canberra shop was asking (and that included $233 postage), the saving would have been about $200 higher but I only included in this calculation the things they had in stock (i.e they did not have the bag liners or the colour coded covers).  

Here's the list of what I bought and AU$ at the time:

Item                                                        Italian Price    AU$               Canberra Price
Z228 - 3 Case Lock Set                      € 18,50           $  22.69           $79.00  
For an E55NT:
GIVI E55NT topbox                              € 180.00         $ 220.75         $549.00
M5 Plate                                                €  26,00         $  31.89            not available
539FZ top rack kit                               €   60.00         $ 73.58             $139.00
N902 - Gloss Black top                       €  37,00         $  45.38           not available
E114 - Foam Liner                              €  25,00         $  30.66            not available
T468 - Nylon Inner Bag                       €  19,00         $  23.30            not available  

For the V35NTs:
GIVI V35NT side cases                     € 260.00        $318.86             $735.00
PLX539 side rack kit                         € 105.00        $128.77             $279.00
N902 - Gloss Black Plates                €   54,00        $  66.23            not available
T443 - Nylon Inner Liners                   €   49,00        $  60.09            not available

Shipping                                              € 190.00       $233.02             $0.00

Total                                                   € 1,023.50     $1,255.22          $1,781.00

Mind you, the exchange rate was a bit better back then ( € 1 = $ 1.2264), it's $1.4862 currently.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sun 30 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the 2 posts. Madmax, I've found your contact and will send an email thanks. barry_mcki that's great info too thanks. Your link takes me to ebay front page but I can't find anything on Lugi (tried Luigi too). Any further info from your previous dealings?

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 30 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

I think when MM went searching for Lugi and encountered the same problems, however you should be able to contact someone at Centralricambimc through eBay. Might be that Lugi has moved on, but worth checking their prices (and shipping charges).  MM quote was a bit better than mine (euro wise that is).

There is also a little bit of stuff around second-hand, it's really just the correct kits that you need to have to match the Bandit, the Givi top boxes and panniers all fit the mounts.

There is also a Canadian company ( Admore  ) that make LED indicator and brake LED kits.  They are a little expensive, but their kits are good quality, if you're not too good with soldering LEDs and resistors then they are worth it IMHO.

Good luck and send Gus a photo when you get your stuff, he's a secret fan of Givi (heard he has a Givi logo tattooed on his left butt cheek)   Looking for Panniers and maybe top box Construction

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 30 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

When you place your order don't worry about buying the Z228 - 3 Case Lock Set you will find that the V35s have a extra lock barrel inside them so you can have your topbox on the same key.
Just make sure you are buying a topbox that uses the newer black key (same as V35s)

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpie Sun 30 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

GGiant wrote:I have Hepco-Becker 42L "Journey" side panniers and they hold a Shoei TZX full face. 

The website shows the Bandit equipped with the 40L "Junior", which is a nice neat case but will not hold the Shoei full-face. It holds others apparently, but not the Shoei.

I'm very pleased with the Hepcos, strong, seal well, look nice. I have a 48L top box (not Hepco) I can add, as well. All cases are silver and black and look good!

GG

I also have Hepco-becker side panniers although only the 30lt. "Junior" ones but find them fantastic. They also have quick release side frames if you just want to use the top box for that uncluttered look.

The web address for the Australian distributor is http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/

They are also well priced!

Kelpie
kelpie
kelpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:03 pm

I have a V46 and pair of E360's Lights I did myself for about $35 LED's off ebay (no resistors needed)

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box _RVP5126_zps030912cd

Tail lights
Looking for Panniers and maybe top box _RVP5127_zpse2a8ff78

Brake lights

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box _RVP5128_zpsd5c94daa

Light for finding stuff in the box in the dark!

If anyone needs more detail, just ask.
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm

Thanks Cal, the top box at a later stage is a def add on that I want to get. 

Kelpie, I do like the Hepko & Becker cases but price wise they are up there a little and I think 30L is too small and 40L look a bit bigger than I hoped for, although it is always hard to see from manufacturers websites.

I think the V35 may be the go!! Just need to spend some time sourcing some.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

Keep eBay/Gumtree in mind if you are interested in second hand. I got all three for $350, I had to buy the brackets on top of that, got the pannier racks from http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/ had to wait for stock to come in.
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Mon 31 Mar 2014, 8:06 pm

Thanks Cal. I will look through gumtree and check out new from the sites given. 

One other question I have is, are the givi panniers quick unlock to carry in to work if I want to take one off?

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 31 Mar 2014, 8:18 pm

pdrider wrote:Thanks Cal. I will look through gumtree and check out new from the sites given. 

One other question I have is, are the givi panniers quick unlock to carry in to work if I want to take one off?
very quick and easy, turn the key and push a button
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 31 Mar 2014, 8:18 pm

Unlock in seconds with the key. Very very easy
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum