Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O.M.G Modern technology !

+5
Jimcoleman
madmax
Hammy
reddog
paul
9 posters

Go down

O.M.G  Modern technology ! Empty O.M.G Modern technology !

Post  paul Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

after several years using xp ,our new computer has windows8 with windows7 app.Interesting to say the least.........I suppose I will get used to it..........eventually......you may need to read my posts a bit quicker now with this new computer to keep up though..............pretty dam quick....... LOL Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

O.M.G  Modern technology ! Empty Re: O.M.G Modern technology !

Post  reddog Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

Windows 8 is horrible. I'll stick with 7 until they release the next reasonable OS that isn't made for a tablet
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

I'm still stumbling along on XP. Yesterday I lost my email. ( hotmail.com ) Won't let me sign on with the original password that I had. scratch Will have to call for help from one of the nerdy types around here. geek You know the ones. Sixteen. pimples, glasses, Red hair. Can fix your phone in the blink of an eye.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

reddog wrote:Windows 8 is horrible. I'll stick with 7 until they release the next reasonable OS that isn't made for a tablet

we downloaded a classic shell app which makes it look like windows 7 to use , but I think 8 still is used in some things & is obviously the operating part .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

From what I'm hearing Windows 8 will end up like Vista, every computer savvy person (read geek) will avoid it until the next one comes out. When Microsoft realize that people don't wont there PC to work like their phone.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

I think the difference is vista didn't work properly ................ this one works but has been designed for touch screen ................it is easier with the windows 7 app but it's more complicated with a mouse etc to use than a touch screen

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 04 Jan 2013, 8:27 pm

Its even easier just piss windows off all together and buy a mac

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Most people who are aware of a cost benefit analysis will avoid MAC, it is over priced garbage....

Having worked in IT for 5-6 years before going back to uni I love reading posts like this... Makes me realise that people are as useless with technology as I am with mechanical things. Reminds me that we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Windows 8 isn't Vista, Vista was a half assed Windows 7. 7 was really a major service pack for Windows Vista.

However, until touch screens become a standard part of life, which they will, Windows 8 will be in the minority. HOWEVER, touch screen will start to replace mice and the reality is that the start button in windows has it's days limited. Tablets and smartphones are the largest growing sector and desktops are selling less and less each year. Touch screens in laptops will become standard.

However history also shows us that every 2nd OS that MS releases fails. This can be for a variety of reason. I think the innovation adoption curve explains this well. By the time you get to the stage in the curve where change is being accepted on mass then MS have released a new OS that is very similar to "revolutionary" one before it and therefore people jump straight to it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 07 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

chips wrote:Most people who are aware of a cost benefit analysis will avoid MAC, it is over priced garbage....

Having worked in IT for 5-6 years before going back to uni I love reading posts like this... Makes me realise that people are as useless with technology as I am with mechanical things. Reminds me that we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Windows 8 isn't Vista, Vista was a half assed Windows 7. 7 was really a major service pack for Windows Vista.

However, until touch screens become a standard part of life, which they will, Windows 8 will be in the minority. HOWEVER, touch screen will start to replace mice and the reality is that the start button in windows has it's days limited. Tablets and smartphones are the largest growing sector and desktops are selling less and less each year. Touch screens in laptops will become standard.

However history also shows us that every 2nd OS that MS releases fails. This can be for a variety of reason. I think the innovation adoption curve explains this well. By the time you get to the stage in the curve where change is being accepted on mass then MS have released a new OS that is very similar to "revolutionary" one before it and therefore people jump straight to it.

Just love windows gurus. Chips you keep using mr softee, blue screens of death, hardware incompatiblites, constant up dates, and the list goes on of crap that the poor windoze punter has to put up with on a daily basis .

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:02 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:
chips wrote:Most people who are aware of a cost benefit analysis will avoid MAC, it is over priced garbage....

Just love windows gurus. Chips you keep using mr softee, blue screens of death, hardware incompatiblites, constant up dates, and the list goes on of crap that the poor windoze punter has to put up with on a daily basis .

You're right Jim, my bad. You are the expert.... Everyone, buy a MAC.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

Thank you chips
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

chips wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that windows 8 was like vista or even that it has problems like vista did. Merely predicting that it will end up on the same scrap heap as vista as consumers fail to take it up, for whatever reason.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 07 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

O.M.G  Modern technology ! Apple10

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:12 pm

Personally I've always been anti apple...

Last year I changed jobs and was given an apple iphone and other apple farkle. While it took a bit to get use to it, its ok. During one slightly mad moment in life shortly after I purchased a MAC Book Pro (MBP). Again it has taken me ages to get use to it but I'm coping. Must admit I never use the work ipad thing as the iphone sems to do everything so I struggle with that concept. Ok the screens a lot bigger though lol.

What I do object to is how apple charge for everything. I have a game loaded onto my MBP and recently noticed that my itunes card top up thingy disappeared rather quickly. I suspect that the nano pod things I was buying in the game for x dollars were actually charge at y dollars being an a different currency????

Anyway back to the hardware. I'm a bit of a power user with respect to laptops/notbooks or what ever they call them now... So was going through one every seven or eight months. I found that the stability of this MBP is far better than my flatmates $5000 Sony Vaio which has been back to the shop twice in eight months..

Would I buy another apple, no not really, but at least now in the future I can bag the buggery out of the brand without feeling too bad..

O and have tried windows 8 and really dislike it.. Bring back windows 95 I say bounce

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:35 pm

madmax wrote:
chips wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that windows 8 was like vista or even that it has problems like vista did. Merely predicting that it will end up on the same scrap heap as vista as consumers fail to take it up, for whatever reason.

I know, I wasn't challenging what you said, just re framing it.

The point about windows 8 is that it is a new OS as far as consumers are concerned. For most of us we have nevr used windows without a start button. For others it is just going back to pre windows 95 days..... People will get used to it...

And by the time Vista was SP1 it wasn't so bad although still too many bugs for my liking....

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

Rustic wrote:Personally I've always been anti apple...

Last year I changed jobs and was given an apple iphone and other apple farkle. While it took a bit to get use to it, its ok. During one slightly mad moment in life shortly after I purchased a MAC Book Pro (MBP). Again it has taken me ages to get use to it but I'm coping. Must admit I never use the work ipad thing as the iphone sems to do everything so I struggle with that concept. Ok the screens a lot bigger though lol.

What I do object to is how apple charge for everything. I have a game loaded onto my MBP and recently noticed that my itunes card top up thingy disappeared rather quickly. I suspect that the nano pod things I was buying in the game for x dollars were actually charge at y dollars being an a different currency????

Anyway back to the hardware. I'm a bit of a power user with respect to laptops/notbooks or what ever they call them now... So was going through one every seven or eight months. I found that the stability of this MBP is far better than my flatmates $5000 Sony Vaio which has been back to the shop twice in eight months..

Would I buy another apple, no not really, but at least now in the future I can bag the buggery out of the brand without feeling too bad..

O and have tried windows 8 and really dislike it.. Bring back windows 95 I say bounce

You can't blame MS for the hardware issues with the Sony. I know your not, I'm just emphasizing the point.

At the end of the day the components inside your modern MAC are IDENTICAL to those in a PC. Except you pay almost twice the amount for it.

I'm still yet to find a use for a mac that a PC can't do, however i can't say the same for the other way around. Although for most consumers this won't be an issue but I work in corporate environments where MAC's just can't match it.
The funny thing is while I was at UQ they went from purchasing HP and Dell's to purchasing MAC's. They still ran Windows 7 on them so not real sure of the point in paying extra for the hardware. Being an overpriced degree factory I'm sure they just had to spend the money for some reason and MAC's were the only way they could get the bill high enough....

On the flip side, as someone who survived by fixing computers I loved people who owned MAC's. Because it was a MAC they were willing to pay more per hour to fix it and they were forever needing assistance. No better feeling than someone who doesn't follow your expert advice only to then bill them plenty of dollars to fix their mistake because they didn't listen in the first place.

So please, continue to buy MAC's. You are making IT support guys and gals very very happy :-)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

[quote="chips"]
On the flip side, as someone who survived by fixing computers I loved people who owned MAC's. Because it was a MAC they were willing to pay more per hour to fix it and they were forever needing assistance. No better feeling than someone who doesn't follow your expert advice only to then bill them plenty of dollars to fix their mistake because they didn't listen in the first place.

So please, continue to buy MAC's. You are making IT support guys and gals very very happy :-)

No disrespect to your trade chips, but we live in a disposable world and I've never had a PC fixed. No pun intended but they are as 'cheap as chips' now days. Phones are the same $80 for a smart phone, lappies for as little as $300 etc I'd suggest a tech would charge that much just to get out of bed Wink

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:07 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:

I don't know you can entirely blame Microsoft for that. With there being millions of different hardware & software configurations available to a PC. I would imagine it would be hard to make a perfectly compatible OS. With Apple they have it easy, Apple OS with an Apple Mac and no where near as much software variations to fuck things up.

Personally I hate them all. I'd be using Linux if it was a viable option.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:11 pm

[quote="Rustic"]
chips wrote:

No disrespect to your trade chips, but we live in a disposable world and I've never had a PC fixed. No pun intended but they are as 'cheap as chips' now days. Phones are the same $80 for a smart phone, lappies for as little as $300 etc I'd suggest a tech would charge that much just to get out of bed Wink

Haven't had many situation where a $300 machine does what people need it to do.
But then I'm sure there are alot of them out there and they meet people's needs and I'm sure the price is why I never get called out to fix them.

I wouldn't buy an $80 smartphone as it doesn't do what I need it to do at the speed I need it done. Same for laptops and desktops.
It should be all about purchasing what you need for the right price.
^^^ If that is true then nobody would EVER by a MAC, or a Harley

Also, no offence taken, IT is no longer my trade. i finished my 4 year social work degree in Dec 2012.
I'm soon to be a Child Protection Officer :-) Now you can really give me shit....

Last edited by chips on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sentence structure)

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

This debate is like trying to explain to someone the reason why wireless will not be able to do the job of the fibre optic NBN.
Nothing shits me off more than people thinking their opinion is more valid when they have absolutely no knowledge of the technology and issues involved.

^^^This thread hasn't gone there yet, it's more of a general observation on where these "discussions" generally go.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Well done Chips on your change of career based im sure on lots of bloody hard work to end up with a real job rather than IT... my wife has a real job too with elderly / homeless, I on the other hand are still in IT...
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:47 pm

PS: My house is ready to go for NBN, just waiting for Julia to get my FTTN@H...
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:29 am

Thof wrote:Well done Chips on your change of career based im sure on lots of bloody hard work to end up with a real job rather than IT... my wife has a real job too with elderly / homeless, I on the other hand are still in IT...

There are days I wish I was still in IT. Life was just simpler....

Ah the NBN, can't wait for it to finally get here... I don't think people have any idea how much it will transform their everyday lives....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum