Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sore hands, owwwww

+5
Hammy
Kiwisteve
ausrock50
2wheelsagain
NZspokes
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sore hands, owwwww Empty Sore hands, owwwww

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

So today I did a 300k ride with some mates. Biggest yet on the bandit. Love the power, love the motor.

But god my hands are sore. Ive ridden far longer on my old bikes. I do have a bit of carpel tunnel so run some foam tape over my grips, seems to solve the worst. But this is a whole new level of ouch. I hate the bend of the bars, feels like my wrists are at an odd angle. One of my old bikes had a set of Ventura bars a monster copy I think so will get another pair of those. Not sure if thats the issue but need to sort out what is.

Anybody got ideas?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Sore hands, owwwww Empty Re: Sore hands, owwwww

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Some like the bars and some dont and who's to say yours are stock after all this time?
There are several posts hear about changing the bars.
Are you sure you're not gripping too tightly? Just asking new bike and all .........

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Some like the bars and some dont and who's to say yours are stock after all this time?
Are you sure you're not gripping too tightly? Just asking new bike and all .........

Fair call, no I dont know they are stock but they look like other stock ones.

Im only holding tight when I open her up, to stop me sliding off the back....

Rest of the time Im a loosy goosy. But the ride I did was very twisty so wonder if the extra effort of moving a big bike around could be the cause.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  ausrock50 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

You may just need some bar risers. I found they made a huge difference for myself. Very Happy Just do a search here and you will find plenty of info on them.
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:28 pm

NZspokes wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:Some like the bars and some dont and who's to say yours are stock after all this time?

Rest of the time Im a loosy goosy. But the ride I did was very twisty so wonder if the extra effort of moving a big bike around could be the cause.

I’ve thrown mine around the hills for almost 30,000km and I still know when I’ve been “playing”. I can seriously ride my FZ1 half as far again without feeling much different.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

ausrock50 wrote:You may just need some bar risers. I found they made a huge difference for myself. Very Happy Just do a search here and you will find plenty of info on them.

Im used to much lower bars on my old 400 ninja. I think it could be more the bend but not really sure.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
NZspokes wrote:

I’ve thrown mine around the hills for almost 30,000km and I still know when I’ve been “playing”. I can seriously ride my FZ1 half as far again without feeling much different.

That could be the issue. I need to harden up.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:19 pm

I use 1 of those throttle rocker thingys that you can get from most bike shops on mine. Cost me all of about $12, I got it to use on my old SV 650S, as my throttle hand kept going to sleep affraid . I just transferred it to the Bandit, & can just rest my hand on it, till I get to the twisties! Just google motorbike throttle rocker.
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

Kiwisteve wrote:I use 1 of those throttle rocker thingys that you can get from most bike shops on mine. Cost me all of about $12, I got it to use on my old SV 650S, as my throttle hand kept going to sleep affraid . I just transferred it to the Bandit, & can just rest my hand on it, till I get to the twisties! Just google motorbike throttle rocker.

Good point, I have one somewhere. I got it for my 250 but it didnt work as I had to run it wide open all the time.

It will go well with the highway pegs I just ordered.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

NZspokes wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
NZspokes wrote:

I wasn't meaning you were soft mate. I was saying the Bandit takes it out of me after a good day out. A lighter more nimble and better balanced bike like the FZ is easier to ride for longer. But we have what we have and there are ways to improve what we have.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

For what it's worth, I went for the Renthal Ultra Low street bars. Was a bit of a "punt", but I'm really happy with them. They are a little wider than standard and are so easy to manouver with. Just throwin' it out there. Very Happy
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

I use a throttle lock ( Vista ) & Find a bit of movement now & then helps ( I`ve got rheumatoid arthritis ) You may not be aware your tensing up as well which will also exaggerate the problem .Apart from that , it`s a matter of comparing different bars to see which ones suit . you can also buy foam grips which may help more than the tape .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
NZspokes wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
NZspokes wrote:

I wasn't meaning you were soft mate. I was saying the Bandit takes it out of me after a good day out. A lighter more nimble and better balanced bike like the FZ is easier to ride for longer. But we have what we have and there are ways to improve what we have.

No worries, that wasn't meant to sound harsh. Sorry.

I think its just getting used to the bike etc. I probably will change the bars. I dont like the bend but will ride her for a while as she is.

NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:28 pm

Hammy wrote:For what it's worth, I went for the Renthal Ultra Low street bars. Was a bit of a "punt", but I'm really happy with them. They are a little wider than standard and are so easy to manouver with. Just throwin' it out there. Very Happy

Do you have a pic of them on the bike? Did you have to drill holes in the bars for the controls? Are they better for vibrations?

They seem to be the bar that people change to.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

paul wrote:I use a throttle lock ( Vista ) & Find a bit of movement now & then helps ( I`ve got rheumatoid arthritis ) You may not be aware your tensing up as well which will also exaggerate the problem .Apart from that , it`s a matter of comparing different bars to see which ones suit . you can also buy foam grips which may help more than the tape .

Problem with throttle locks and the palm helper thingys is that I tend to ride twistys alot so no use. Also I think my bike has a lower ratio so holding her at 100k on motorways requires a bit more wrist effort. Im looking at returning the ratio to stock.

I have thought about foam grips, will see what I can find.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

NZspokes wrote:Do you have a pic of them on the bike? Did you have to drill holes in the bars for the controls?

The Renthals are alloy so a bit softer metal than the originals, the controls grip to them a lot easier. You don't need to drill the bars for the locating pins, just file about 75-80 % of the pin and tighten. This also allows you a little latitude to twist the bars if you want to fool around with slightly different angles.

This video is for a 1200, but it is the same principle for the later models, couple of good pointers/tips in changing over:

Last edited by barry_mcki on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:20 pm

Sore hands, owwwww Dsc_0622

Sore hands, owwwww Dsc_0623

Here you go. No drilling. The bar weights are a bit of a trick to refit, but I found a real easy solution.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 05 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

Check out Trademe for Grip Puppies for $32. Supposed to be really good.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:02 pm

kewwig wrote:Check out Trademe for Grip Puppies for $32. Supposed to be really good.

Im about to get some warmers of Torpedo 7. May put them on top of the grips then either tape (bicycle handlebar tape) or use puppys. A mate has them and says there great.

Ive got a Zuke GV250 as a loaner bike today. Mines in getting a couple of small repairs under warranty. God the GVs slow, but a real hoot.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

barry_mcki wrote:
NZspokes wrote:Do you have a pic of them on the bike? Did you have to drill holes in the bars for the controls?

The Renthals are alloy so a bit softer metal than the originals, the controls grip to them a lot easier. You don't need to drill the bars for the locating pins, just file about 75-80 % of the pin and tighten. This also allows you a little latitude to twist the bars if you want to fool around with slightly different angles.

This video is for a 1200, but it is the same principle for the later models, couple of good pointers/tips in changing over:

Thanks mate, good watch.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

Hammy wrote:

Here you go. No drilling. The bar weights are a bit of a trick to refit, but I found a real easy solution.

Oh they look great. I think that will be the next Mod.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

Is yours the bike that was in Motorcycle Trader with 37,000 miles and sold by Holeshot in Takapuna? (I ask because the crash bars are distinctive)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

kewwig wrote:Is yours the bike that was in Motorcycle Trader with 37,000 miles and sold by Holeshot in Takapuna? (I ask because the crash bars are distinctive)

Yup. Got a great deal on it. Had been stalking it for a couple of months. I think the salesman got sick of me turning up on Saturdays with the kids to look at it.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

I had a similar one I bought new in 1996, and am now on Bandit 3
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

kewwig wrote:I had a similar one I bought new in 1996, and am now on Bandit 3

Are the newer ones much different to ride?

I dont think Holeshot knew about the suspension mods on my bike.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next