Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever really looked at your old engine oil?

3 posters

Go down

Ever really looked at your old engine oil? Empty Ever really looked at your old engine oil?

Post  Ironman Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

Next time you dump the oil from your bike, take a LED torch and shine it into the pan you dropped your oil into.
Let me know what you see. Look closely now...

Or maybe it's like oil pressures, some things are just better not known.
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Ever really looked at your old engine oil? Empty Ever really looked at your old engine oil?

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

Mines only ever been the colour of Honey. But then I do tend to over service. If your talking ultra fine metal fleck., then yes it happens in all engines until it is properly run in. An old bike mechanic(countless years of experience) once told me that the average 4 cylinder motorbike engine if run normally(no flogging), is not properly run in until it's done about 60,000k. Extra pressures exerted during the exaggerated throttle thrill removes microscopic particles from bearing and in particular, cylinder surfaces.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Ever really looked at your old engine oil? Empty Re: Ever really looked at your old engine oil?

Post  dhula Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Now go and get your engine oil filter and cut the top off it so you can remove the filter medium.
Shine a torch (or hold it up to a light, xray style), prepare to be amazed.

Then, put new oil and new filter in/on the bike, ensure oil pressure light goes out and ride.

I usually do a couple of simple checks when it comes to oil

1. Is the oil level correct (remember to check it the correct way). If no, add oil until it is correct. If yes move to step 2
2. Start the engine, did it start without making any yukky metalic noises. If no then shut her down and investigate problem. If yes then move to step 3
3. Did the oil pressure light go out within ~5 seconds of startup (note, time taken just after oil change may vary by 5-10 seconds). If no then shut her down and investigate problem. If yes then move to step 4
4. Gear up and ride on

dhula

Back to top Go down

Ever really looked at your old engine oil? Empty Re: Ever really looked at your old engine oil?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down