Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine swap

5 posters

Go down

Engine swap Empty Engine swap

Post  Bannedit Sun 29 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

New to the forum - so forgive me if this has been covered.
Can i swap a 1991 Gsxr1100 engine in to my 2006 bandit 1200 and can i use the bandit carbies?

Bannedit

Back to top Go down

Engine swap Empty Re: Engine swap

Post  paul Sun 29 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

Given that the 2006 bandit uses the old 1200 motor , which looks to be a later incarnation of the gsxr 1100 motor , I would be surprised if it didn't fit , or some modifications may be needed to be done to make it work. I personally would check out some of the street fighter websites to get a few more ideas as to what they have done .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 29 Jan 2017, 9:28 pm

I own a 96 Bandit 1200 and a 86 Gsxr 1100 . I'll check out the difference tomorrow .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bannedit Sun 29 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

Thanks gus

Bannedit

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 30 Jan 2017, 3:58 pm

Anything is possible with $$.
I'd be checking the counter sprocket alignment as a primary indicator.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 30 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm

It LOOKS  like it would fit but very hard to tell exactly . It does seem strange to want to fit a 25yo motor into a ten year old bike though .
Better way would be just fit the cams ,or better still, leave the great bandit motor as is .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 31 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

I don`t see why it won`t fit!!!

I`ve been part of the ASF Streetfighter site, for along, and there`s been blokes on that site, that have put bandit engines in the  Gix 1100 frames, and they are essential the same engine...SACS. Yes, different cams, capacity, compression ratio, blah blah, but they are basically all interchangeable parts with each other.

The only version, from what I have read, that causes issues, is the Dot Head, on the early 750`s, some Katana`s, and possibly one other Suzi model, that has used the Dot head, due to the angle of the intake manifolds, to suit the port angle, for increased head flow, along with a smaller combustion chamber, 22cc, verse the Bandit, I think, 26.8cc volume, which cause the carbies to interfere with the frame. EDIT: I think it interferes with the fuel tap??

Totally agree with Gus, "leave the 1200 Bandit engine alone!!!"

If anything at all, a timing advancer, remove the snorkel only, (no gaping hole in the airbox) help the Can breath better, lift the needles maybe one clip, and at most, from the standard 102.5 main jet, go up 107-112.5.  "DON`T", put after market headers on it!!!!!!!!!!!  This, on the 1200, repeat..1200, not the 1250, you Will loose bottom end.

How do I know, 3 years of experimenting with airbox configurations, and exhaust configuration, endless cam timing changes, plus multiple dyno tunes and tests, has lead me to go back to the standard headers, to regain bottom end torque. If you go up in diameter size with an after market header, "you will loose back pressure, and low down torque"  
But hey, play if you will.....

I`ve got two Bandits, one stock, one with 1989 1100 cams, and other crap going on there, and that one has lost it`s... Bandit-ness. Yeah, it goes like a shower of shit from mid to top, but it`s lost it`s instant low down torque, where the other stock bandit, tuned properly, in certain situations, will leave it for dead.

Have fun what ever you do.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down