Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car engine oil

+7
whitey1
Freeway
Pete
b12mick
dhula
2wheelsagain
Tommyboy
11 posters

Go down

Car engine oil Empty Car engine oil

Post  Tommyboy Wed 02 Jun 2010, 6:25 am

I have about 3L of Mobil Super S 10W-40 semi-synthetic car engine oil. Do you reckon that would be ok to use in the bandit? 10W-40 is 10W-40, right?
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Car engine oil Empty Re: Car engine oil

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 02 Jun 2010, 8:52 am

Tommyboy wrote:I have about 3L of Mobil Super S 10W-40 semi-synthetic car engine oil. Do you reckon that would be ok to use in the bandit? 10W-40 is 10W-40, right?

Only if you want a slipping clutch affraid
As a general rule car engine oil has friction modifiers which works against motorbike wet clutches.
Some oils for diesel engines (Dello 400) have been used in bikes with good results but I've never been game to try them.

Get propper motorbike oil and all will be sweet mate.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 02 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

if the oil does not have friction modifiers or is energy conserving AND it meets the recommendations as stated in the user/service manual (grade, weight etc) it will be OK for the bandit

if you want a bit more info, drop a line to the mobil tech line either by phone or e-mail and ask if the oil is suitable for motorbikes with a wet clutch - also tell them the details of the bike (year, model, make etc)

i have used non 'motorcycle' oil since purchase and know of a few that have for up to (and beyond) 50,000kms on thier bikes

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:10 am

I have heard, I think it was on a Pay Tv show about bikes (Western Australian based) that using 'car' oil in a bike is fine, providing you use the right grade of oil.

However, unless it's an emergency and I have no other choice, I always use motorcycle specific oil.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:50 am

dhula wrote:if the oil does not have friction modifiers or is energy conserving AND it meets the recommendations as stated in the user/service manual (grade, weight etc) it will be OK for the bandit

if you want a bit more info, drop a line to the mobil tech line either by phone or e-mail and ask if the oil is suitable for motorbikes with a wet clutch - also tell them the details of the bike (year, model, make etc)

i have used non 'motorcycle' oil since purchase and know of a few that have for up to (and beyond) 50,000kms on thier bikes

Or you could Google Mobil Super S and see thats its not suitable Wink

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 04 Jun 2010, 8:34 pm

^^^^^^^^

or that :-)

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Tue 08 Jun 2010, 6:27 am

I put it in.

I used the equivalent Castrol oil (magma or something like that) in my other bike and it was fine. Actually, I used that oil because it's supposed to coat everything on start up, and they say 95% of engine wear is on start up. My old KLE sounded a lot better starting with it than bike oil and it ran just the same.

I tried googling it but it's hard to find an answer. It seems some independent studies suggest car oils are the same as bike oils, but the oil companies say otherwise, possibly because they charge loads more for their bike oils.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Fri 29 Oct 2010, 12:27 am

Aside from the problem of friction modifiers, you'll need to change automotive oil more frequently as it doesn't contain the anti-shear properties required to stand up to the abuse of being put through a gearbox.

Without these anti-shear properties the oil looses its viscosity rating fairly quickly (within ~ 1500 - 2000 km).

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 29 Oct 2010, 9:23 am

I think there is a reason why Tommyboy hasn’t posted for 4 months Surprised
He's still pushing the Bandit home after the clutch shit its self Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Fri 29 Oct 2010, 8:28 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:I think there is a reason why Tommyboy hasn’t posted for 4 months Surprised

You wish Razz

I used magma car oil in both my Bandit and KLE500 and didn't notice any difference -

If memory serves the bandit manual it doesn't specify bike specific oil, it just gives the grade. I read a few articles on the subject before I used the car oil and I got the impression there was no proof that car oils were any different than bike oils.

In my ignorance I came to the conclusion that a Magma-type oil that coats everything on startup was actually the best oil on the market for the bandit.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freeway Fri 29 Oct 2010, 11:30 pm

The 'coats everything on startup' bit is a nice bit of marketing bullsh!t aimed at the mechanically inept vacuously scanning the shelves at supercheap - use a bike oil designed for use in a unit engine/gearbox, it's the hardest working component in the engine & conveniently cheap & easy to replace so pay for quality synthetic motorcycle oil, don't get emotionally attached to it, change it often, & find something less important to save five bucks on!!! And change the filter too.Now!!

Freeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Sat 30 Oct 2010, 1:47 am

1.The viscosity of synthetic-based oils generally drops more slowly than that of petroleum-based oils in the same application.

2.Comparing these figures to viscosity retention for the same oils when used in an automobile (see later text by Prof. Woolum) would indicate that motorcycles are indeed harder on oils than cars.

3.The fastest and most significant drop in the viscosity of petroleum-based oils used in motorcycles occurs during the first 800 miles (or less) of use.

All of these results (1-3) agree with everything the oil companies have been telling us all along. However, the same test data also indicates that:

4.The viscosity of petroleum-based oils, whether designed for auto or motorcycle application, drop at approximately the same rate when used in a motorcycle.

5.There is no evidence that motorcycle-specific oils out-perform their automotive counterparts in viscosity retention when used in a motorcycle.

Now!

Full article: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 30 Oct 2010, 1:54 am

The energy conserving bit (friction modifiers) is the bit of most importance to bikes with wet clutches.
Energy conserving oil is said to have additives that make it more 'slippery' and thus the energy takes less energy to turn. These friction modifiers that add to the slipperiness factor of the oil is what can potentially harm the friction material of the wet clutch causing it to slip and maybe fail prematurely. It won't happen overnight, but it may happen so IMO it's best to stay away from those oils

Apart from that there is no reason you cannot use normal engine oil in a bike, even those bikes with integral gearboxes, so long as the grade and weight recommendations are correct for the type of environment you are riding in (there is a chart in the user manual but a fits all is 10W40)

The gear box thing IMO is nowhere near as important than the grade and weight. Look at the gearboxes out there that use engine oil for lubrication, they seam to do alright. Look at the cars that have a engine/gearbox combo and so have one oil for both, they also do OK.

IMO the 'motorbike specific' thing is more advertising and good marketing than anything.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 30 Oct 2010, 8:49 am

Tommyboy wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:I think there is a reason why Tommyboy hasn’t posted for 4 months Surprised

You wish Razz

Glad to see you post again mate.
I still think you're taking a hell of a risk for the sake of a few £

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Sat 30 Oct 2010, 10:14 am

dhula wrote:
The gear box thing IMO is nowhere near as important than the grade and weight. Look at the gearboxes out there that use engine oil for lubrication, they seam to do alright. Look at the cars that have a engine/gearbox combo and so have one oil for both, they also do OK.

IMO the 'motorbike specific' thing is more advertising and good marketing than anything.

What cars use the same oil for both engine and gearbox? I've not come across one yet.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 30 Oct 2010, 1:04 pm

mini's are one that comes to mind
not sure about the modern fancy ones, i'm talking about the original ones

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Sat 30 Oct 2010, 9:02 pm

Oh ok, I've never had anything to do with minis. So they work on a similar principle as bike engine/gearboxes eh? Learn something new every day dont cha? study
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Thu 10 Feb 2011, 2:19 pm

No don't use car oil unless its 100% synthetic like Mobil 1 or something like that.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 10 Feb 2011, 7:39 pm

as with all discussions, interested to hear the reason behind your opinion.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:18 pm

I'm one of these facts based people, why a choice is made for a particular manufacturer type with relevant data. The amount of oils, detergents, friction modifiers, molecular composition (weight behaviour), mineral, synthetic, blend, whew! I just want good oil for my scoota without the bullshit.
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

Thof wrote:I'm one of these facts based people, why a choice is made for a particular manufacturer type with relevant data. The amount of oils, detergents, friction modifiers, molecular composition (weight behaviour), mineral, synthetic, blend, whew! I just want good oil for my scoota without the bullshit.
Yep. What he said^^
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Sun 13 Feb 2011, 4:29 pm

I use Motul. Thats what race bike use, if they used car oil i would probabbly use that. cyclops
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Mon 14 Feb 2011, 8:29 pm

Rick wrote:I use Motul. Thats what race bike use, if they used car oil i would probabbly use that. cyclops

+1
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Mon 14 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Thof wrote:I'm one of these facts based people, why a choice is made for a particular manufacturer type with relevant data. The amount of oils, detergents, friction modifiers, molecular composition (weight behaviour), mineral, synthetic, blend, whew! I just want good oil for my scoota without the bullshit.

Rick wrote:I use Motul. Thats what race bike use, if they used car oil i would probabbly use that. cyclops

+1 What they said. Smile
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum