Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bandit ride meet

+5
Cameron
potatomasher
b12mick
rickbandit
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

bandit ride meet Empty bandit ride meet

Post  rickbandit Tue 22 Dec 2009, 2:04 pm

any thoughts banditos on a ride meet ala hayabusa clubs agm in jindabyne ? would be great to put some faces to names and see a lot of bandits together any suggestions on time /place ????
rickbandit
rickbandit

Back to top Go down

bandit ride meet Empty Re: bandit ride meet

Post  b12mick Tue 22 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

That's not a bad idea. I'd suggest somewhere that's as central as possible to everyone. So depending on where the members are, maybe somewhere like Cooma or maybe Goulburn?

Cameron may have a good idea where everyone is.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Tue 22 Dec 2009, 6:17 pm

Do we have any Perth members? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Wed 23 Dec 2009, 5:23 pm

goulburn or somewhere is do-able but i think adelaide is a bit of a trek........ scratch
potatomasher
potatomasher

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed 23 Dec 2009, 8:20 pm

I am good for anywhere. I dont mind a good loooong ride
I will have a squiz at where people live, and post up some meeting points that are generally central to everybody.

Either way, ill be there for sure

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Wed 23 Dec 2009, 8:52 pm

It will always be hard to please all in a country as big as ours. When I was living in the UK the furthest point was only 5ish hours away at the most. I would be keen for a national 'ride', but for me about 8-10 hours away would be about the limit. In saying that I also appreciate these things are not always about me. This now leads me to MotoGP 2010, I am currently planning a trip and thought there may be a chance of a meeting point and ride incorporating Phillip Island and the GP. There is still plenty of time for discussion and thought. Very Happy . Of course any other options must be discussed and am still keen. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Wed 23 Dec 2009, 9:23 pm

1836 wrote:Do we have any Perth members? Shocked
Not Perth but 400 kms south at Albany.
Dont think I'd be interested in travelling so far east. But good idea anyway.
BTW the Ulysses AGM is here in March. Anyone coming?
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 24 Dec 2009, 11:36 am

whitey1 wrote:
1836 wrote:Do we have any Perth members? Shocked
Not Perth but 400 kms south at Albany.
Dont think I'd be interested in travelling so far east. But good idea anyway.
BTW the Ulysses AGM is here in March. Anyone coming?

Even though I'm old enough to be a junior member of the Ulysses, I am putting of joining for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, I can't abide they're anal retentiveness in relation to "Thou shalt not pass the lead rider, thou shalt not drop behind the tail rider". Or is this just the local old farts rule?

Secondly, I refuse to accept that I'm getting old(er).
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Thu 24 Dec 2009, 6:15 pm

I think motoGP 2010 is a good place for a meet. Its somthing to think about.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:05 pm

Had a quick look at where our "most involved" banditos live.
Majority from the sydney area or a little further north. Also plenty of Victorians.

If we want a national meet, still think the best bet is this years MotoGP.

But like i said before, no matter what happens, im there..

But can you imagine..................20 Bandits rolling up all together in a group to the GP? Fireworks and all. Razz

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

b12mick wrote:First and foremost, I can't abide they're anal retentiveness in relation to "Thou shalt not pass the lead rider, thou shalt not drop behind the tail rider". Or is this just the local old farts rule?

Thats pretty much the rule and expected conduct on any formalised group ride where skills, ambitions and abillity vary widley. (not to mention reliabillity)
Different to a few mates having a scratch Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Sat 02 Jan 2010, 4:14 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
b12mick wrote:First and foremost, I can't abide they're anal retentiveness in relation to "Thou shalt not pass the lead rider, thou shalt not drop behind the tail rider". Or is this just the local old farts rule?

Thats pretty much the rule and expected conduct on any formalised group ride where skills, ambitions and abillity vary widley. (not to mention reliabillity)
Different to a few mates having a scratch Smile

The club I ride with have no such rules. Yes we have a lead rider, but they're usually the one who knows the road/s best (often it's me). If you decide to pass said lead rider, guess what, you are now the lead rider, and if you get us lost we reserve the right to take the piss out of you for at least 12 months, or until such times as someone else does it. Having said that, before we leave on a ride we tell everyone where we are going, which roads we'll be on and where/when we plan to stop. That way if someone does go off on they're own they know where to stop and wait for us. We have a 'tail end charlie', usually this is only because not everyone can be infront. But if we do have relatively new riders on a ride one of us more experienced people sits at the back and keeps an eye on them.

I certainly understand the 'group' mentallity on flat relatively straight roads, or if the riders are relatively unknown to each other, or where the is a large group. But, if it is large group then surely splitting the group in 2 is a better idea. There is a time and place for it, but roads like Elliotts Way, Cabramurra-Kahncoban rd, Tumbarumba-Jingellic, Granya Gap, Rosewood to Adelong etc, Pulletop Rd, etc are not the place to be enforcing "thou shalt not pass the lead rider", that sort of mentallity can, and does, lead to problems. Be damned if I'm going to sit behind someone who persits in doing 90 (or less) around corners I normally take at 100+. Likewise, I don't expect someone to try and keep up with me if they are outside they're comfort zone. Far better to ride at you're own pace and re-group every so often. On tight twisty roads we usually re-group every 70km or so, on not so tight stuff this might be every 100km. We don't have any hard and fast rules (pardon the pun), we play it by ear and adapt the ride to suit those on the ride.

Also, the idea of having a corner marker is plain stupid. If the group is so spread out that you need to 'mark' a corner because a rider can't see which way the rider/s in front turned, or you can't see the rider behind you in your mirrors, than surely everyone has to stop and re-group. This is what we do, and it works well, we've covered in excess of 500km on pleasent ride with up to 20 bikes. That's leaving at around 9am and back at the pub having a beer by 4pm.

There are some Ulysses branches that aren't so anal retentive. The group my sister and brother-in-law ride with expect that when they get to 'twisty bits' the 'faster' riders will go ahead and wait at the next pre-planned stop for the slower riders to catch up.

Oh, and before people get upset believing that I'm a "Ulysses Basher", I'm not. It's just that I've been on couple of rides with the local branch (as a guest) and found them to be so regimented that it took the fun out of the ride. I think it's just the way our Branch is (was) run. Having said that, my wife has convinced me to join. Her agruement is that sometimes it would be nice to have a leisurely ride between coffee breaks, which is true, and that I should think of the discounts I can get. So I'm going to do it. Woo Hoo.

I'll be a 'Redback growing old disgracefully'.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  willo Mon 04 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

Got to agree with you b12mick, those ulysses can be a strange clicky bunch, was one once, to many bosses to much politics wasn't for me.. (mind you I met a lot of very nice people as well) Graham Very Happy Very Happy
willo
willo

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Mon 04 Jan 2010, 11:36 pm

Whoops, looks like the thread got sidetracked a bit(was that my fault?) Sorry. Just thought I'd mention the Ulysses thing cause they're expecting 4000 odd bikes to arrive in town for it!! Should be something to see thats for sure.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 05 Jan 2010, 10:54 am

I believe the Albury (NSW) branch is bidding for the 2012 (?) AGM. I might even go to that one, given it's only 1.5 hours away.

Back to the topic.

Unfortunately, until we get the finances back under control, long trips (overnighters) isn't something I'll be doing for a while. So the Motogp maybe out for me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Although with my wifes new job we are hoping to do some good day trips - 500+ km's. Very Happy
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Tue 05 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

My mate and I have decided we are off to the GP, it would be a go opportunity to meet some fellow forum members. We will be booking our camp site soon (within a month). Anyone else have any plans to head down yet? I still think it would be a good place for a meet, have a few beers etc. So anyone keen, give me a shout and lets sort something. I have to keep the cost down, so it's a campsite for me this year. All up, with site, ticket, fuel, food etc.........budget for me is approx $1000. Not too bad, I don't have too pay all at once, so do-able. cheers . I would like to hear others ideas or plans.

Grant

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 05 Jan 2010, 7:11 pm

just a question, what are the dates for PI this year?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 05 Jan 2010, 7:14 pm

Not this year, but we, as in my wife and I, I planning a BIG trip to the island for our 25th anniversary (3 years time). We'll be going to the Supers (given they are still on at the island by then) mainly because 'The Treasurer' prefers to watch bikes the are closer related to what she can buy.

Why for our 25th, because in April 1988 we went to the island for our honeymoon and walked around part of the track while they were still finishing it off. You know, we never did get to see the penguins.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Tue 05 Jan 2010, 7:16 pm

This year it is 15th-17th October.

Back to top Go down

Post  rickbandit Wed 06 Jan 2010, 3:20 pm

g,day all glad to see this thread generate some interest about a meet/ride.i will definetly be going to gp again this year if this becomes our national meet so be it, but an overnighter in the alpine area re;pub in the hills and great roads was what i was thinking.anyway keep the thoughts,suggestions coming,hey mick hope you,re not now looking at cruisers and growing a grey beard Sleep
rickbandit
rickbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Jan 2010, 4:54 pm

I very much doubt I'll ever buy a cruiser. I find them extremely uncomfortable (in fact they cause pain), slow and boring, did I mention that they are really uncomfortable. My wifes old boss at the HD dealer was trying to get me to buy one, I told him that I'd buy a HD when they make a bike that has an in-line 4 engine and a half (or bikini) fairing.

As for growing a grey beard, I already have a goatee that is progessively getting more grey (actually white) through it.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed 06 Jan 2010, 6:24 pm

rickbandit wrote:g,day all glad to see this thread generate some interest about a meet/ride.i will definetly be going to gp again this year if this becomes our national meet so be it, but an overnighter in the alpine area re;pub in the hills and great roads was what i was thinking.anyway keep the thoughts,suggestions coming,hey mick hope you,re not now looking at cruisers and growing a grey beard Sleep

Im up for that as well. especially now i cant make the GP.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

Cameron wrote:
rickbandit wrote:g,day all glad to see this thread generate some interest about a meet/ride.i will definetly be going to gp again this year if this becomes our national meet so be it, but an overnighter in the alpine area re;pub in the hills and great roads was what i was thinking.anyway keep the thoughts,suggestions coming,hey mick hope you,re not now looking at cruisers and growing a grey beard Sleep

Im up for that as well. especially now i cant make the GP.

What buying a cruiser and growing a grey beard lol!
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed 06 Jan 2010, 9:19 pm

lol! well im still only 18, so i dont think ill be getting a cruiser...or a grey beard for that matter.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  willo Wed 06 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

18 shit your younger than my baby.. affraid affraid affraid
willo
willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down