Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset

+7
Jimcoleman
chips
Mpottsy
2wheelsagain
Ewok1958
gus
holdenman
11 posters

Go down

Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset Empty Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset

Post  holdenman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:01 pm

Now before i go in to detail there is going to be some people that disagree with the use of intercoms on bike. im not here to argue weather they are safe or not.

After having a scala rider Q2 for 2 years the battery was starting to give up the ghost so began my look for a replacement
The 2 options were scala rider g4 or the sena smh10.
Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset Smh10_10
After lots of researching and emails to suppliers i was able to get a great deal for a american supplier

I paid $289 for a Twin pack which include postage. Australia you are looking to pay between $400 all the way up to $700

In the box

2 Headsets
2 chargers with usb cables
2 12v chargers
2 3.5mm accesories cables

Installing them on the helmet is a very easy clamp design and the speakers velco in

Using them again is very simple with only 2 buttons

the jog dial on the side controls the volume , starts intercom and if you hold it in and turn you can change music tracks ( i listen to music all the time)

the button on the rear answers and hangs up the phone

Sound wise they have a built in amplifier and they are loud. at cruising speeds on the highway i wouldnt even have it up half way and can hear quite clearly all the way up to stupid speeds

Phone is the same and very clear and most people dont realise im on the bike until i tell them so it has very good wind cancelling

As a intercom the have a range of up to 900m . My partner is currently learning to ride and we dont disconnect form each other unless we are on long highway runs. having to legally follow a learner it is easy for me to give directions or fix road positions etc etc.

all in all i wouldnt ride a bike again without them

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset Empty Re: Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset

Post  gus Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:44 pm

I got a free intercome when i got the bandit . Bloody thing had so many wires and tubes i sold it unused for $90. Looks as if they are getting better.
Agree ,they would be great for riding advice to an inexperience rider .I'm a bit of a loner so no thanks the rest of the time .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

Thanks Holdenman - just the thing for my missus to get her on her bike a bit more. Might have to invest. Can you post or PM me the dealer details please. Ta.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

A mate of mine just bought the Scalia 4 (twin pack) they have a range of 5km or something. He's rapt but they're not for me I don't think.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:05 pm

http://stores.ebay.com.au/radioridercom

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm

I use a wired system on my GSX with GME radios for bike to bike. I tried a scala G4 but found the Bluetooth kept dropping out. We are very happy with our set up and has the ability to be used in large groups. I am able to have phone, iPod, GPS and bike to bike and pillion all connected at once. We can even have different music for myself and pillion.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

how does the mike fit in on a full face helmet? Has anyone got a photo handy of one of these installed so i can picture it my mind. I would love the ability to make phone calls without having to pull the bike over and turn it off.... not too mention take the gloves off etc etc
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

The microphone is just on a flexy arm and you bend it up under the helmet. i will try and take a picture latter if still required

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:11 pm

be sweet if it wasn't too much to ask. I think I get what your saying but it wouldn't look to clean as an install would it?
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

i looked at sena but i bought a motorãder for a bit cheaper works ok volumes a bit low at speed but phone works good and i like the push to open the com channel mutch better than vox. buttons can be fiddley but i only just got it so still feeling my way

plus points

push to talk (intercom)
price quite reasonable
not to baulky
australian distro that you can call and not the get the dept of blank looks

minus side

no bt controls except for pause and play

no voice activation for my iphone
a bit cheap feeling

oh time will tell wheather the budget bit me on the arse
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:04 pm

Hmm, I may be the odd one out here. I too did get a dual blue tooth headset, setup and paired with phones and each other, then realised (after one use, can’t even remember the make, sitting in the man cave gathering dust…) why I ride a scoot, I don’t want to hear the missus / daughter / bloody phones, not anything else other that the sweet sound of the mount and natural noise around me. S’pose I’m getting old, I enjoy the solitude and feedback of the ride…
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:13 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:i looked at sena but i bought a motorãder for a bit cheaper works ok volumes a bit low at speed but phone works good and i like the push to open the com channel mutch better than vox. buttons can be fiddley but i only just got it so still feeling my way

plus points

push to talk (intercom)
price quite reasonable
not to baulky
australian distro that you can call and not the get the dept of blank looks

minus side

no bt controls except for pause and play

no voice activation for my iphone
a bit cheap feeling

oh time will tell wheather the budget bit me on the arse

yep it bit me on the arse absolute crap i tell you, now the interesting part is getting a credit for it, i hope i dont have to get all heavy with consumer law i should have know better
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 11 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

chips wrote:how does the mike fit in on a full face helmet? Has anyone got a photo handy of one of these installed so i can picture it my mind. I would love the ability to make phone calls without having to pull the bike over and turn it off.... not too mention take the gloves off etc etc

Here's some shots of the old scala rider one I've used for a couple of years on my Shark. My financial controller has the other on her Shoei. Can make calls with voice-dial but it can be a little tricky sometimes. Is always fun when you get a random "hullo??" after having a good sneeze when riding along. Even tho I use it quite a bit, I'm in two minds whether they're really worthwhile.

[img]Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset 7bc5d027[/img]

And another angle. You can see the mouthpiece and the right ear piece.

[img]Sena SMH 10 Blue tooth headset Ab92dba5[/img]

NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

thanks for the photos.

my only concern before i spend the money is....
the jacket helmet combo I wear 99% of the time produces sooooooo much wind noise that I have trouble listening to music even with in ear headphones.....

So I don't think I have much chance of being able to have a phone call anyway :-(

Do the headphone pieces actually press "onto" your ears?

do you have much wind noise that these have to compete with?

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Y
chips wrote:thanks for the photos.

my only concern before i spend the money is....
the jacket helmet combo I wear 99% of the time produces sooooooo much wind noise that I have trouble listening to music even with in ear headphones.....

So I don't think I have much chance of being able to have a phone call anyway :-(

Do the headphone pieces actually press "onto" your ears?

do you have much wind noise that these have to compete with?

I have my scala speakers under the lining and I can hear it clearly, and my helmet is not exactly quiet

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

ideally the speakers need to be located fairly precisely with your ear holes and yes actually touch your ears. Putting under the liner shouldn't hurt as long they're located ok. Can take a bit of trial and error. If located poorly they can become uncomfortable, so best take the time to get them located properly. The Scala Cardo adjust their volume automatically to background noise but can be over-ridden easily. On the GSX i find them fine at 110 120 km/h, but speeds over that gets a tad too noisy. On my beemer with a grandpa screen, I can ride faster with visor open and still yak on the phone. People on the other end of the line are surprised when you tell them what you're doing.

My Shark helmet is a fairly noisy helmet, but it's a couple of years old and gets used every day so padding has "relaxed" a bit around the neck and thats where the noise gets in....

One thing I've noticed when on a call....after hanging up, i'm often at a loss to work out how many cars I've passed, who did wot etc. In other words - it reduces my presence of mind when riding and so I tend to go into auto mode. Main reason I got mine was so I could hear my GPS telling me I was going the wrong way when in strange lands.:-) Very Happy
Bill.

NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

Depends on the helmet you were. i have a Rjays GP2 and it has designated spots for speakers to go in and that way the speakers dont touch your ears. i had the same scala rider as in the pictures that NTbill supplied and as he said up to 110 was good. The sena's i have now are only getting warmed up. i usually cruise at $1.40 and wouldnt even have the volume up half way.

I cant recommend the sena's enough. if you still havent decided, next ride chips i will bring my spare down and you can try it

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:19 am

What I'd like to know is, can the Sena pair with the Scala ??

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

I've got an 'Oxford Bike Mike' - elcheapo compared to the Scala but it works. Smile Only issue is all the wires.

I've now got it 'hard' wired straight to the battery when I'm using it as the battery in the unit itself didn't last all that long - especially if you forgot to turn it off!
I had tried listening to music previously with the ear plugs connected to the iPod but hated it - on this system I enjoy it as the speakers are glued inside the helmet (have to get the positioning of them right otherwise they are annoying) - I wear ear plugs most of the time too and can still hear music through the system... But then there is the wires.. one between the bike battery and the unit, another between me and the pillion and one from the iPod to the unit..only tend to use it on longer trips as it takes a few moments to set it all up...

I'll upgrade eventually to something with less connections... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

this looks like a good price.

Any issue with warranty claim locally if purchasing from US?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Sena-SMH10-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Intercom-Headset-Single-Unit-/130613856441?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e693148b9#ht_2010wt_1396

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

No they cant sync together

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

chips buy your self a neck collar like the guys on dirt bikes wear. i have a ev5 which i wear on long rides it cuts down the noise by about 50% a very noticeable difference plus my helmet sits on it keeps me getting a sore neck on log trips and it help keep your neck straight in the even of a accident
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down