Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SENA 10U

4 posters

Go down

SENA 10U Empty SENA 10U

Post  Ulsterkiwi Tue 12 Apr 2016, 2:58 pm

hi, this isnt really a mechanical issue as its nothing to do with the bike. I am hoping there is someone here however who can shed some light.

I was recently back in the UK to visit family. I picked up a pair of SENA 10U units. One for my GT-Air and one for my wife's Neotech. The stealth like design and the handlebar remote were appealing to both of us. The NZ distributor doesn't bring them in to the country.
Got them home, the one on the GT-Air fits beautifully. Still to ride the bike using it (got back on Sunday, still jet lagged)
The Neotech however is a disaster. The battery, antenna and mic parts do not fit over the EPS shell as indicated in the online videos I have watched (Revzilla and the like) For example, the gap on the mic part is 19mm. The EPS on the chief's Neotech is 30mm thick. I got in touch with a friendly dealer who stocks Neotechs. Even the XL (largest shell size) is 25mm in that part. A U-shaped component with the gap in the U being 19mm is not going to slide over a piece of rigid material 30mm thick.

So, my question is two fold.

Has anyone on here gone for a 10U on their Neotech, if so, how did installation go?

Does anyone know if Shoei have modified the design of their Neotech model since its original launch a couple of years ago? Am wondering if the EPS on older models was thicker but SENA designed their unit to suit newer version of the helmet.

Appreciate any thoughts or information.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

SENA 10U Empty Re: SENA 10U

Post  BanditDave Tue 12 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

A friend of mine recently purchased a Sena 20S

All good except he had to remove some helmet liner to fit the speakers as they were a little thicker than the previous ones (Scala)

The Sena is a great unit but has a lot more features which requires a little more thought in its operation.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodroket Wed 13 Apr 2016, 9:30 am

You could try contacting SENA directly.
Did it come with the double sided tape? Not as secure I suppose but an option.

Rodroket

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Wed 13 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm

yes I did, they replied they were sorry for the inconvenience but they only replace faulty units.

I replied that it was faulty because it did not do what it was supposed to do. Still waiting for a reply.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 13 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

Ulsterkiwi wrote:yes I did, they replied they were sorry for the inconvenience but they only replace faulty units.

I replied that it was faulty because it did not do what it was supposed to do. Still waiting for a reply.

I had a look at this model after I read about your problem. I'm not fully understanding what you mean. Doesn't it just sit over and between the padding?
Do you have any photos of the problem?
Is it possible that you have a model not for the Neotec?

This type of unit looks like a great idea, and keeps the unit out of sight from those pesky police officers down here that think anything attached to your helmet is illegal. Bloody tossers!
Only problem I see is that it is helmet specific, so you have to buy a helmet to suit the current range of 10U headsets.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:28 pm

madmax wrote:
Ulsterkiwi wrote:yes I did, they replied they were sorry for the inconvenience but they only replace faulty units.

I had a look at this model after I read about your problem. I'm not fully understanding what you mean. Doesn't it just sit over and between the padding?
Do you have any photos of the problem?
Is it possible that you have a model not for the Neotec?

This type of unit looks like a great idea, and keeps the unit out of sight from those pesky police officers down here that think anything attached to your helmet is illegal. Bloody tossers!
Only problem I see is that it is helmet specific, so you have to buy a helmet to suit the current range of 10U headsets.
no, its definitely supposed to be for the Neotech, says so on the box. Unless they have put a non neotech model in said box.....
photo should show what I mean....

SENA 10U Img_1010
SENA 10U Img_1011

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 14 Apr 2016, 8:38 am

Ulsterkiwi wrote:
no, its definitely supposed to be for the Neotech, says so on the box. Unless they have put a non neotech model in said box.....

That's what I was thinking.

Is that just the foam padding or polystyrene?

Maybe you need to talk to Shoei and find out if the helmet has been redesigned

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Thu 14 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

madmax wrote:
Ulsterkiwi wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

Is that just the foam padding or polystyrene?

Maybe you need to talk to Shoei and find out if the helmet has been redesigned

yep, thought had crossed my mind on both counts. Have looked around and it definitely appears to be what SENA intended for the Neotech. Those components are supposed to slip over the hard inner shell not the foam liner. I had one suggestion that I modify the shell.....nope.
The retailer say they have contacted Shoei, interested to see what comes from them for sure.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sun 01 May 2016, 2:42 pm

so the conclusion to this story.
First the good news, the 10U has superior sound to the SMH10 I was using previously in my GT-Air. Particularly voice, much sharper and clearer.
You basically don't notice its there, the helmet was pretty quiet for me so cannot say there is less wind noise or whatever. The handlebar remote is good but I don't like it on the grip as they suggest. It makes it easier to reach the SENA controls for sure but I do not like how it changes the feel of the grip and its a bit more awkward to reach the bike's controls. I mounted it in the middle of the bars instead, works well for me there.
If you are in a state where the police are giving motorcyclists a hard time about helmet mounted accessories this might be an option. The 10U is made for the GT-Air, Neotech (more on that) and another Shoei helmet. Also the Schuberth C3 and the Arai full face helmets. So a few options.

Anyway, the 10U for my wife's Neotech. After physically trying it on 4 different Neotechs without success, I have conceded defeat. My local dealer has been in contact with the NZ Shoei distributor (while I was present) and they cannot come up with a solution or explanation.
The retailer I obtained the unit from also contacted the UK Shoei distributor who also was unable to provide an explanation. The retailer has supplied "a lot" of these units and Shoei UK are well aware of them and have not had any issues.
NZ apparently gets stock from the same source as Europe, including the UK. It doesnt make any sense.
SENA in the meantime unilaterally closed my ticket which was querying the issue. They don't give a shit it seems. Then they emailed me a survey asking about my experience with their help desk. I provided a terrible review. Still nothing.
It seems the only people not interested in sorting an issue with a SENA product is SENA. Very poor I reckon.

So, the retailer in the UK, SPORTSBIKESHOP LTD, have agreed to not just refund the cost of the unit but also reimburse me for sending it back. This is fortunate. Having LiOn batteries inside means I had to courier rather than post and it cost $99NZD to send a very small piece of equipment!
Hats off to the retailer, they tried their best.

I like the unit, I like the concept. Its a pity this particular one didn't work out.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum