Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5000km service, help!

+5
CHERRY1
Sloth_27
2wheelsagain
dhula
tj1
9 posters

Go down

5000km service, help! Empty 5000km service, help!

Post  tj1 Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:37 pm

Can someone please tell me what items the service manual says needs to be done for the 5000km service 1250 K8, I seem to have misplaced my service manual Rolling Eyes

I take it an oil & filter change is on the menu, anything else.

And what oils do people use, was thinking about the Motul 5100, any suggestions?
Thanks for the help guys.
tj1
tj1

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty Re: 5000km service, help!

Post  dhula Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:35 am

have a read through the manual found on 2wheelsagain's post

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 03 Nov 2009, 7:27 am

Call me pedantic but there's no 5k service. 1, 6, 12, 18, 24 etc.
There's list of items that should be changed but if your bike is going well you'll only need oil & filter and a thorough check over. 24k is the big one. Oil is personal. I went full synth at 6k (Shell) but our bikes don't "need" it. Just make sure its the correct weight.
I can scan and pm the 6k page from the service book if you like.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  tj1 Tue 03 Nov 2009, 9:51 am

Thanks 2wheels, but I probably was a bit premature with this post, after downloading the manual (and reading AFTER posting this Rolling Eyes ) I did notice the service interval is 6000km, another thing I noticed was that they only recommend and oil change and that a filter is not required until 18000km? seems like a bit long between filters if you ask me, think I will do oil and filter together.

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks for posting the manual, makes for an interesting read. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tj1
tj1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Tue 03 Nov 2009, 2:17 pm

I'm doing a 10,000km service this afternoon (and I only bought the bike new in July). I ride alot in heavy traffic during the week so I figure that changing the oil and filter every 5000km is probably a good thing.

In the scheme of things, oil (Motul 5100) and a new filter are cheap parts, especially compared to how much I spend on petrol during that 5000km.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  CHERRY1 Tue 01 Dec 2009, 7:49 pm

I opted to use Motul 7100 (Full synthetic) from the first service (1500K) with a new oil filter.
I then descided that I would only change my oil and filter once a year and or 10,000K's.
I just replaced both when I performed the 12th monthly service with 9650k's.
These new oils are good for 20,000K under normal conditions and don't have the corrosion or dirt problems of older mineral based oils.
A word of warning! K&N (oiled air filters) can have a detrimental effect on the performance of air flow/ air temp sensors.
CHERRY1
CHERRY1

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty OIL and FILTER

Post  realfeel Tue 02 Feb 2010, 6:30 pm

YES I would change oil and filter every 5000kms..........in the long run its cheaper than a rebuild and other premature wear problems...over service for long reliable kms.Both my car and 4wd get oil and filter every 5000 kms, both have done over 300,000kms and dont use oil, but with my 30 years mechanics experience, I have seen the sometimes expensive results of service neglect....over service and don't believe the handbooks as truth
realfeel
realfeel

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 02 Feb 2010, 9:28 pm

realfeel wrote:over service and don't believe the handbooks as truth

Thats right. Manufacturers with millions of testing km's under their belts and huge international reputations to protect dont know what they're talking about Rolling Eyes

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 03 Feb 2010, 7:47 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
realfeel wrote:over service and don't believe the handbooks as truth

Thats right. Manufacturers with millions of testing km's under their belts and huge international reputations to protect dont know what they're talking about Rolling Eyes

Manufacturers have a vested interest in you getting a "reasonable" life out of it and then buying another one!!! I have worked in Dealerships for the last 15 years, it is all about moving product.
If the sump plug comes out I replace the filter.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Wed 03 Feb 2010, 9:50 am

CHERRY1 wrote:A word of warning! K&N (oiled air filters) can have a detrimental effect on the performance of air flow/ air temp sensors.

Only if you over oil them. K&N filters are being used in all sorts of vehicles all day everyday with no problems. Oiled properly they are excellent.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty MANUFACTURE FOR PROFIT

Post  realfeel Wed 03 Feb 2010, 2:04 pm

Well you probably believe everything a politician tells ya too buddy, the fact is if manufacturers got it so right and understand the service needs of their machines so well, I wouldn,t have been fixing their fuckups for the last thirty years.I have seen the results of underservicing and overservicing ,...and a overserviced machine is a better, safer, more reliable and enjoyable machine to ride......oh yeah, I certainly would not buy a bike off you ,...as you try and convince me that 18000km oil changes that the manufacturer recommends is an clever idea.....they will be selling you a new bike before me pal and that is the corporate greed your ignorance supports. Ask any mechanic with experience and they will agree...oil and filter every 5000km.....for you I recommend "no frills oil" changed every 100000 kms...think of the money you will save!!!..PS I never appreciate a slap in the face for good advice !!
realfeel
realfeel

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 03 Feb 2010, 4:32 pm

Well I certainly bow to your god like and future predicting abilities.
I guess the fact I didn’t advise against more regular servicing was lost on you.
I took you to task over your broad and arrogant statement of which I underlined. If that’s a slap in the face you'll get a lot more on other bike forums.
I'm interested to know which manufacturers deliberately put misleading (dangerous?) information in their handbooks.
I wasn’t aware we're advised to run oil for 18,000km. That’s a newie on me. For the record I'm happy to do mine and filter every 6,000 on this current bike.
I wouldn’t sell you a bike so don’t worry about that. I'm more than happy to debate issues on fact. I'll leave the fiction up to you.

Good luck with the 30% increase from a power commander on a B1250. Love to see that dyno run.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty PERFECT MANUFACTURERS FAULTS

Post  realfeel Wed 03 Feb 2010, 6:56 pm

Yeah, you got me on a bad day but here is an example of some of the many things I have personally seen: 1 The batch of brand new cruisers that arrived with a strange knocking noise...the factory forgot to fit gudgeon pin clips 2 The brand new 2 stroke bikes that dis connected the oil pump while in neutral, seizing the motor 3 The brand new sports bikes that only had a 1.5 litre sump and subsequently self destructed..we ended up fitting larger sumps 4 The car manufacturer whose car exploded in rear end collisions, they decided it was cheaper to pay the compensation claims than fix the problem and the list goes on. My apologies for being hot headed but I am firm in my over servicing beliefs and well justified in my dis -trust of manufacturers
realfeel
realfeel

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 03 Feb 2010, 10:46 pm

IMO over servicing can be just as damaging as under servicing. Having spend 20 odd years over servicing the bejesus out of all kind of equipment I believe this is the case. one example is changing engine oil every 10,000kms when it actually was designed for much longer intervals due to an extended service interval kit. We had instances of engine rebuilds at the 100-200,000 km mark when other users using the same engine without the extended service pack on them but changing oil at 30,000 kms running their engines to well over the 700-800,000 k mark without problems apart from routine maintenance of wearing parts

there are also many articles and so forth around the place that tell us that it may actually be better to run an engine longer than the recommended interval as the oil gives better protection the longer it is in there. Obviously there is a limit to how long you should keep the oil in there tho.
I took part in a trail on an engine to see how the oil fared the longer it went. we used oil sampling to keep an eye on things. on an engine that OEM said should have oil changed at 10,000, we got to 21,000 before being advised by the oil testing company to change the oil

regarding filters there is also some thinking that says you should keep them on longer also (obviously to a limit). oil filters work similar to the oil filled air filters (such as unifilter, K&N etc) and as the shit they trap builds up they filter better. Like I said to a limit.

The user manual says Oil every 6k and filter every 18k
Given my experience and what I've learned over the years I am happy to run the oil changes to 6 k as indicated in the manual but I'll only run the filter to 12k as i feel the balance between filtered oil and unfiltered oil (due to the filter filling up with crap and the PRV unseating) is justified.

The oil you use is also another discussion. there are good, there are not so good but IMO there are no bad oils, just those that don't choose the correct oil as per the OEM specs and situation and winge that the oil they use is crap.

IMO pick your own servicing interval and oil as you see fit. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside then that's enough I recon

The batch of brand new cruisers that arrived with a strange knocking noise...the factory forgot to fit gudgeon pin clips 2 The brand new 2 stroke bikes that dis connected the oil pump while in neutral, seizing the motor 3 The brand new sports bikes that only had a 1.5 litre sump and subsequently self destructed..we ended up fitting larger sumps 4 The car manufacturer whose car exploded in rear end collisions, they decided it was cheaper to pay the compensation claims than fix the problem

Problems like these are not really associated with under or over servicing, they are more to do with poor workmanship, bad QA/QC at the factory or poor R and D. THe 4th one you mention is nothing to do with servicing at all. Yes it was a problem but it's really a business decision made by bean counters.

just my thoughts anyways.

PS. I shall don my flame suit as I'm sure to be needing it

dhula

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty Well put Dhula!

Post  CHERRY1 Sat 06 Feb 2010, 10:34 am

I have been a qualified machanic for 42 years, and have seen my fair share of motor/ servicing failures!
I based my choise of servicing regime after considering the manufactures recomendation, the type and amount of riding I do, the quality of the products I use and a degree of common sense!
I replace my bikes approx every 5yrs (10 bikes) and have never had any problems. Very Happy I'm sure I will have no problems, but of course anything is possible?
CHERRY1
CHERRY1

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Sat 06 Feb 2010, 4:43 pm

I can't speak for the new water cooled/fuel injected Bandits, but the old air/oil cooled ones could/would last for well over 100,000k's if fresh oil and oil filters are thrown at them regularly. One thing people tend to forget is that the older a vehicle gets the more regular the servicing needs to be.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

5000km service, help! Empty AND AGAIN

Post  realfeel Sun 07 Feb 2010, 4:43 pm

Well. the boys have just pulled a late model twin cam jap engine down that had seized at 70000 kms due to LACK OF OIL CHANGES, this engines top end had locked solid and torn the cam gear from the camshaft, punched holes through pistons and bent valves.....oil filters work better a little blocked ???We had a good laugh at that one, just remember bike oil does not have the same detergent ratio as car oil due to wet clutches.A severe dose of sludge build up stuffed this one !! Oil and Filter every 5000kms will save you this sort of nightmare......seized motor on a bike is no fun
realfeel
realfeel

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 07 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm

nothing to see here, carry one

Last edited by dhula on Mon 08 Feb 2010, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : UN PC)

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum