Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3

+17
isj001
Kaupy1962
Bandit Gazza
b12mick
sb1250
Hammy
ThatOtherGuy
rolls
madmax
2wheelsagain
Ewok1958
reddog
boomer
Saikhan
gus
step_andy
Dekenai
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3 - Page 3 Empty New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3

Post  Dekenai Fri 11 Mar 2011, 9:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Better wet grip and superior wear...mmm

http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/twproduct/findProduct/moreProduct/313
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3

Post  Rabid_Canine Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:22 am

Vellies wrote:
Rabid_Canine wrote:16kms to home so no chance to evaulate properly yet........but already a very different feel to the worn Michelin........

Hope you do not do a lot of wet weather riding, I had the BT021 on my 1250FA when I got it, and really disliked those tyres, so much so that I replaced them with PR3's at the 6,000km service, and I think the PR3's are significantly better.

The BT021 is the older-spec tyre - and wasn't known for its wet weather grip. The BT023 has a better reputation. Interestingly, I found this article when trying to do some research today on the Michelin PR3s compared to BT023's.

http://canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/bt023.php

Note the comments about the PR3's "baking out". That pretty much covers what I felt about them - felt good to start with but less and less feel the more they wore, and as I said, terrible cold-tyre performance.

Scrubbed the BT023 rear in yesterday on a 120kms through the twisties in the Adelaide Hills, and this is what I think so far:

• Feels like it is a little more triangular in profile, as it tips in much easier than the PR3.
  • That feeling of a more triangular shape carries through to the feeling that it tramlines a bit more than the PR3 on longitidinal road grooves/repairs.
  • Further added to by more chirping from the rear when I got some compression lockup from downshifting from high 3rd gear revs into second gear for (marked) 35kmh turns. Even blipping on the downshift the rear chirped more than the Michelin ever did, which makes me think it has a slightly narrower footprint when upright compared to the PR3.
  • Nice feedback and feel going through the twisties, but I wasn't going hard due to newness of the tyre. Has a 132 kms on it now....

No chance to test wet weather performance yet, but I commute on it rain or shine so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: New Michelin tyre - Pilot Road 3

Post  b12mick Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:47 am

I found that the PR2's wore very quickly at 'near end of life'. In other words the last few mm of tread wore a lot quicker than expected and a damn site faster than the first few mm of tread. I've never experienced that with other tyres.

Having said that, I replaced the PR2 front with a PR3 and plan to replace the PR2 rear with PR3.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Fri 28 Dec 2012, 10:53 am

madmax wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:
madmax wrote:
Bryners in Seaford

[url=http://www.byrnerssuzuki.com.au/
http://www.byrnerssuzuki.com.au/[/quote[/url]]

Booked in for Wednesday. Yep, $400 = a pair of PR3's fitted. Service manager (Craig) seems a decent bloke.

I'm in for Wednesday as well, and yes Craig is a decent bloke.

Might see you there.
Rang today and they quoted PR3 $550 fitted or $490 for PR2.
I asked about the $400 deal and dude on the phone said that he does not know anything about it.
Will try catching Craig.

Cheers

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

[quote="step_andy"]
madmax wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:
madmax wrote:
Bryners in Seaford

http://www.byrnerssuzuki.com.au/[/quote]

Booked in for Wednesday. Yep, $400 = a pair of PR3's fitted. Service manager (Craig) seems a decent bloke.

I'm in for Wednesday as well, and yes Craig is a decent bloke.

Might see you there.
Rang today and they quoted PR3 $550 fitted or $490 for PR2.
I asked about the $400 deal and dude on the phone said that he does not know anything about it.
Will try catching Craig.

Cheers

Yes talk to Craig, he is the service manager.
After I told him I could get a pair of PR3s for just over $400 delivered (ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=PR3&_osacat=14780&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=Pilot+Road+3&_sacat=14780) He told me Michelin will match that including fitting.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:13 pm

Yep, and remind him he recently fitted a set of PR3's to the bloke who rode down from Eden - he's sure to remember.

PS: One of the front wheel weights fell off in the shed after I returned. I could see where it was fitted so used some araldite to reattach it. Same thing happened to another one a few days later so the sticky backing on the one's they're using isn't working properly.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:33 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Yep, and remind him he recently fitted a set of PR3's to the bloke who rode down from Eden - he's sure to remember.

PS: One of the front wheel weights fell off in the shed after I returned. I could see where it was fitted so used some araldite to reattach it. Same thing happened to another one a few days later so the sticky backing on the one's they're using isn't working properly.

maybe thats why the discount...............so they make it up on future wheel balances lol! lol!

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

Ewok1958 wrote:Yep, and remind him he recently fitted a set of PR3's to the bloke who rode down from Eden - he's sure to remember.

I installed dynabeads when i fitted my last set of PR3's and after 12000 km's i am still very pleased with them. I had the same issue with weights keep falling off and the balance going when the front tyre went out of shape due to road camber so i plucked up the courage and went for it. No vibrations at any speed and the tyres still look in good nick.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3