Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

michelin pilot sport/road 3?

+11
Kaupy1962
Ewok1958
Chook
BanditDave
SuzySuzuki
2wheelsagain
b12mick
chirpa
ThatOtherGuy
reddog
mtbeerwah
15 posters

Go down

michelin pilot sport/road  3? Empty michelin pilot sport/road 3?

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 25 Sep 2012, 6:56 pm

ok,i`m about to go down this road, i know jack shit about the michelin range!

so whats the difference between the two, sport and road 3?

its probably common sense by the name,but gonna ask anyway
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

michelin pilot sport/road  3? Empty Re: michelin pilot sport/road 3?

Post  reddog Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

I think it's covered here http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:27 pm

I have the Michelin Pilot 2's on the GS500 and fully intend to go for 3's on the Bandit when due. The 2's have nearly 10,000kms of mostly commuting in/out of the city on them and I can hardly tell they're worn. Great all weather tyre. As a result of the good experience I will get Michelins for the Bandit, I am very happy with them.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpa Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm

I took the plunge yesterday and put on Pilot Road 3's front and rear on my 2010 1250SA.
Was pretty pricey at $560 fitted (compared to PR2's which would have been $485 fitted).
Already notice they are a lot nicer to ride on than the Dunlop originals, but that's not saying much.
Will be very interested to see if they give the extra K's to cover the extra up front $$.

chirpa

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

I have just replaced the front PR2 with a PR3. Had it on there for maybe 2000km now and so far I'm pretty happy with it.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

i can`t get onto the site reddog put up,but i did get onto a so called MICH site and it showed "sport3" and "road3", two different tyres,so was just wondering the differnce bewteen those two,

not the PR2,don`t really care about the PR2 right now!! as that was listed as a seperate tyre
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

OK... just found out pilot sport 3 is a car tyre...so....wont be going there
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:15 pm

That PDF link worked for me.
And as you have found out there is no "sport". I can recommend the Power Pures if you want a more sporty feel. I have them on the FZ.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:32 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:That PDF link worked for me.
And as you have found out there is no "sport". I can recommend the Power Pures if you want a more sporty feel. I have them on the FZ.

yeah..its hard to go to the unknown.

what sort of difference are we talking here,its so hard to pick a tyre that does it all,and if i had the bucks to have a few sets of wheels, i`d have a tyre for every occasion.

i do want sticky sides,and well...durable centre,not to the point of compromise of stick,but I do want to enjoy the return trip to Philip.

just because a tyre is bragged about getting 20 000km out of them, after that distance,your going to get an uneven wear anyway.

I know I should shutup,and just form my own opinion by buying them.

So what real difference in distance between those ,is there in your riding, only a little bit,or alot?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm

I would be interested to hear of any tire that doesnt get 'chicken strips' so quickly, the main reason I hate living here. The other reason being I cant lean into cornering as the stupid council leave stones, rubble and rubbish on intersections. Rolling Eyes

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[michelin pilot sport/road  3? Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

SuzySuzuki wrote:I would be interested to hear of any tire that doesnt get 'chicken strips' so quickly, the main reason I hate living here. The other reason being I cant lean into cornering as the stupid council leave stones, rubble and rubbish on intersections. Rolling Eyes

what do you mean by that "chicken strips"

chicken strips are dictated by the rider to chicken to lean over..so do you mean you haven`t come across a tyre that you felt,you couldn`t lean right over,or because where you live,all he roads are that bad,you wont try and use the full tyre,

don`t try to lean all the way over on roads you don`t know,because of the unknown,stick to the ones you do know,so you can use full tyre
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

Just checked out

www.jakewilson.com

Pilot Road 3 front and back plus $50 postage (thats what it cost me last time)

$343 AU

My last tyres arrived in Mackay 6 days after despatch (it takes longer from Brisbane - wherever that is!)
My local Honda dealer will fit them for $35 on bike or $25 if just the wheel. I purchased a set of tyre levers and did it myself.
I also purchased Dynabeads to replace wheel weights. I cannot feel any unbalance and there is no indication of uneven tyre wear.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:39 pm

BanditDave wrote:Just checked out

www.jakewilson.com

Pilot Road 3 front and back plus $50 postage (thats what it cost me last time)

$343 AU

My last tyres arrived in Mackay 6 days after despatch (it takes longer from Brisbane - wherever that is!)
My local Honda dealer will fit them for $35 on bike or $25 if just the wheel. I purchased a set of tyre levers and did it myself.
I also purchased Dynabeads to replace wheel weights. I cannot feel any unbalance and there is no indication of uneven tyre wear.

shit thats alright,i got quoted $280 for the rear,me taking my tyre in
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 26 Sep 2012, 8:26 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:That PDF link worked for me.

yeah..its hard to go to the unknown.

what sort of difference are we talking here,its so hard to pick a tyre that does it all,and if i had the bucks to have a few sets of wheels, i`d have a tyre for every occasion.

Mate, a lot Exclamation But its a different bike with a lighter front end and quicker steering. I'm heading for about10,000im I'd say.
The FZ is much more flick able without the Bandit under steer. Yes I can push them both but I'm happy to have good grip and mileage on one bike and sticky almost sacraficial tyres on a weekend toy.

That probably doesn't help Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

i`ve ridden a few FZ`s, old to new,handling wise,they shit on the bandit,as you well know, and if i could stick the bandit engine in the FZ frame,that would be my perfect bike...but anyway, I think for the sake of the journey,i`ll stick with the pr3`s, as I think they`ll be apt

thanks all!!!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 04 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

chirpa wrote:I took the plunge yesterday and put on Pilot Road 3's front and rear on my 2010 1250SA.
Was pretty pricey at $560 fitted (compared to PR2's which would have been $485 fitted).
Already notice they are a lot nicer to ride on than the Dunlop originals, but that's not saying much.
Will be very interested to see if they give the extra K's to cover the extra up front $$.

I had my rear PR3 fitted in Brisbane earlier this year, it has nearly 7000 km on it now and is probably not much over 1/2 worn, I only got 5600 out of the original Dunlop and that was probaly 6 or 700 km more than I should have left it on for. My front went on at about 9000 km, 3000 later I can hardly tell it's worn at all
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

My PR3's are just getting to the 14,000kms mark and look good for a few 1,000 more - if nothing goes wrong I'll replace them at the 18,000km mark when the bike is due in for it's 42,000km service.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

Got a Pilot Road 3 the other day. Haven't put it on yet $173 delivered.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:47 pm

I have used PR2 on previous bikes and was happy with them.

Has anyone tried the Continental Road attack2 as another option?

Jon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

I picked up a full set of PR3'S from Jakewilson add in fitting on the bike and the whole job was abut $420. I also put in dynabeads to see how they would work. Having now completed 14000km's the tires look as if they still have half their tread left. As for the balance of the tyres I have to say the dynabeads are working fantastic no wheel wobble or vibrations just great feeling both front and rear.

I was very sceptical of the dynabeads but having now tried them I will continue to use them. Perhaps they are contributing the the good tyre wear I am getting? Who knows?

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:33 pm

Well i started this thread,asking about the tyre.

Bought some,and in three weeks,have clocked up 6500km on them,and in my opinion,they`re a very good tyre,and match the grip of the battlax sport range,that being the 003`s and 016`s,as i`ve used in the past.(016`s come standard on the 1000 gixers),but still haven`t tried them out in the wet,for what they`re known for, which is a good thing,as mother natures been shinning on me.

I`ll be buying them again!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:36 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:Well i started this thread,asking about the tyre.

Bought some,and in three weeks,have clocked up 6500km on them,and in my opinion,they`re a very good tyre,and match the grip of the battlax sport range,that being the 003`s and 016`s,as i`ve used in the past.(016`s come standard on the 1000 gixers),but still haven`t tried them out in the wet,for what they`re known for, which is a good thing,as mother natures been shinning on me.

I`ll be buying them again!!

I got to try mine out in rain, snow and tail end of a tornado on Friday last week as I headed home from Tasmania. Left Hobart on Friday morning and by the time we reached the midlands all hell had broken out in terms or the rain excetera. Very odd weather, road over the crest of a hill in pouring rain after being waved to slow down by a motor bike copper to be confronted by a winter wonder land with about an inch of icy snow on the ground. affraid affraid affraid

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 9:20 pm

Mpottsy wrote:I picked up a full set of PR3'S from Jakewilson add in fitting on the bike and the whole job was abut $420. I also put in dynabeads to see how they would work. Having now completed 14000km's the tires look as if they still have half their tread left. As for the balance of the tyres I have to say the dynabeads are working fantastic no wheel wobble or vibrations just great feeling both front and rear.

I was very sceptical of the dynabeads but having now tried them I will continue to use them. Perhaps they are contributing the the good tyre wear I am getting? Who knows?

I just checked their website now, and to ship them to Oz they want $410. That was the same price as I could source locally off fleabay. I got mine installed the other day at Sydney Performance Motorcycles at Taren point for $470 fitted and balanced. There's a promo on at the moment Michelin's giving $20 fuel cards, so for $450 all up, I'm quite happy. Haven't really had a chance to put her through the paces, but I was pretty impressed with them so far. Not sure how long they'll last, I got about 17000 ks out of a set of Dunlop RaodSmarts, but the guy I bought my Bandit off had done maybe 7000 gentle touring ks himself. If I can get 15000 ks out of the set I'll be happy.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

My pilot road 2 on the front is coming up to 23,000 ks and still has tread. Pr3 in the shed going on when I've finished building my tyre changer.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

Just put a PR3 on the front. Still have the Z8 on the back. The Z8 on the front had a puncture plug in it. Thise sticky rubber ones. Then this was leaking and put a mushroom plug in. Found the original hole had torn and air leaked past the plug. You could also see the steel belt. So bit the bullet and got a new tyrs. The Z8 only had 10k on it. It was only just 1/2 worn too.

So new PR3. Turns into corners quicker at the front than the Z8. Once it is scrubbed in shall report back.

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down