Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Few questions from a potential newbie

+9
Sloth_27
holdenman
rolls
Saikhan
dhula
2wheelsagain
whitey1
Reardo
Mip
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Few questions from a potential newbie  - Page 2 Empty Few questions from a potential newbie

Post  Mip Thu 30 Sep 2010, 2:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi ya all

I am thinking of buying a new 2010 1250s, i have been riding a dl650 for the last 3 years, I would like to get something with a bit more torque, but comfy as well. I have done 55000 k's on the Vstrom of which probably 40.000 commuting to and from work thru Perth peak hour traffic and the rest country rides.

So I went for a test ride last week and I was NOT as impressed as I was hoping I would be,.. loved the engine,... felt real nice and smooth and powerful and could see myself commuting with it. But only a 15 minute ride in 60 70k's zones i could feel the heat of the engine on my legs! and the mirrors were useless! I had to twist left and or right to look past my arm. I also have a ? re the wind protection from the screen? didn't get to try it on the freeway but it looks and feels like its not going to divert much wind over the helmet.

So i have been searching the internerd for some answers, but cant find any post here on the engine heat issue,.. Perth gets hot in summer and when splitting lanes in summer i dont want to fry my legs. Are there ready made options available to extend the mirrors? and the screen? Was hoping i could find a good thread on screen option available for the 1250s?

Cheers

Mip

Back to top Go down

Few questions from a potential newbie  - Page 2 Empty Re: Few questions from a potential newbie

Post  Dekenai Tue 12 Oct 2010, 7:30 am

Mip wrote:
Gear indicator,... not fussed about that, suppose it could be nice, but seems a waste of money to me,.. you should be able to feel what gear you are in.

Would like to get rid of the rear guard or change it a little, but haven't found much info or threads about that. I have seen somewhere the number plate bracket, but not sure how its fitted or what it looks like, also have to sort of keep it semi legal.

Actually the gear indication is a secondary function. The primary function is to remove the timing retard that is applied to the lower 4 gears so with the timing retard eliminator you get 5-6 gear power in gears 1-4. This also improves fuel economy,

Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Few questions from a potential newbie  - Page 2 Empty Re: Few questions from a potential newbie

Post  whitey1 Tue 12 Oct 2010, 9:31 am

As for hard luggage you may want to talk to Dink.
I have a wholesale account with the Australian Givi importer.

Dink
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 12 Oct 2010, 2:58 pm

Look at solomotoparts.com they have a good range for the Bandit.

The TRE does 3 parts of bugger all on the bandit. I have seen it on th edyno and disabled it and the torque and power readings are identical.

Toss the secondary butterflies if you want more power and a smoother running bike.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 12 Oct 2010, 3:50 pm

reddog wrote:
The TRE does 3 parts of bugger all on the bandit. I have seen it on th edyno and disabled it and the torque and power readings are identical.

Well there is a revelation. You sure? Unretarded timing must result in an increase........

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 13 Oct 2010, 4:33 pm

I know on other bikes it makes quite a difference, but on a wide open throttle run on the dyno it made no difference.

The reason I turned it off was because the tuner wanted to see if he could get rid of the dip in power near 8000rpm. I believe that dip may be the secondary butterflies doing something around that RPM, if it isn't them then who knows maybe cams. I haven't removed my secondaries btw. I don't have any issues with stuttering and crap idle like some others
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2