Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance

5 posters

Go down

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance Empty Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sat 10 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm

Hi folks
Courtesy of Kewwig I scored a set of givi racks and took the plunge and picked up the V35 panniers to match it. Very happy.
I was aware of the potential issue with aftermarket cans and would value your input.

When I fitted the bags they were JUST touching the panniers. After reaming out the hole in the strap which goes on to the rear peg hanger I was able to drop the can by around 5-8mm as you can see from the pictures, there is daylight.
Hopefully you can also see the direction of the gases from the can is not towards the bag, rather parallel to it.

I am trying to source some heat resistant tape at the minute as after a bit of playing with the pipe I am not sure an extension piece like others have used will work. The clamp on the link piece was loosened but it doesnt seem to give enough free play.

My question therefore is:

Is the important thing to have SOME separation from the bag and can, is the distance important? I am thinking about electrical wires running around the motor etc in this and other bikes I have had and there are no issues. The only time I have had a problem was wiring right beside the header of the exhaust in the thumper I had before my FA.
So will separation and the direction of the gases be sufficient?

When I picked up the bags I had to ride home, about an hours ride with urban traffic and open highway riding involved. It was a pretty hot day (for NZ!) No marks on the bag and it didnt feel overly warm when I got home (much to my relief!)

I guess after seeing the pics Gus posted I am nervous and heading away for a weekend at the end of next week. I dont want a melted new bag!

Anyway, thoughts please Laughing 

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance IMG_0305

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance IMG_0306

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance Empty Re: Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance

Post  reddog Sat 10 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm

Cheap fix would be to stick some aluminium foil on the underside of the pannier. I'd do a test run and stick it on with hair spray. Obviously make sure it is dry before riding
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance Empty Re: Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance

Post  barry_mcki Sat 10 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

Checkout how Kewwig himself solved this on his original Bandit - pretty simple mod, its a wonder he didn't mention it:

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance DSCF4714

The main thing I noticed on my V35/Yoshi setup is not the proximity of the can, but the exhaust gas direction, if it's pointed at the panniers its like having a heat gun on the plastic all the time.  From your picture, it appears the gases are being directed away from the bottom of the pannier so IMHO if you added that small strap you'd have more than enough distance.

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sat 10 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

barry_mcki wrote:Checkout how Kewwig himself solved this on his original Bandit - pretty simple mod, its a wonder he didn't mention it:

Scorpion can and Givi V35 pannier clearance DSCF4714

The main thing I noticed on my V35/Yoshi setup is not the proximity of the can, but the exhaust gas direction, if it's pointed at the panniers its like having a heat gun on the plastic all the time.  From your picture, it appears the gases are being directed away from the bottom of the pannier so IMHO if you added that small strap you'd have more than enough distance.
yep he did mention it. As I was saying though I cant seem to get enough free play to insert a strap like that. Kewwig had a Yoshi can as well, there must be a bit of difference in the shape.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

Looks ok to me. The main thing is to ensure that the gases are not pointed directly at the pannier..

I'm using V35s with a staintune pipe underneath. No problem with heat because the gases are pointed downwards.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 21 Jan 2015, 9:01 pm

Bring it round and we can sort it.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down