Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues.

+5
gus
Four40
kewwig
reddog
Mpottsy
9 posters

Go down

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. Empty Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues.

Post  Mpottsy Fri 13 May 2011, 2:03 pm

Any Ideas anyone on how I can get more clearance between my Givi Panniers and my Scorpion Exhaust. I am a little concerned that on a long ride I might melt a hole in the pannier as the exhaust is practically touching the underside of the case.

My though is to get a small plate and extended the bracket backwards from the foot peg mounting this should push the exhaust downwards and create a bit more clearance?

Has any one else come across similar issues with slip on exhausts?

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. Empty Re: Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues.

Post  reddog Fri 13 May 2011, 2:06 pm

No problem with the Yoshimura Titanium pipe. You are onto it with the bracket though, shouldn't take too much effort to fabricate, or you could make a new exhaust strap with a longer bracket if you know what I mean to drop the exhaust down a little.

Mine looks like this Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. IMG_1270
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. Empty Re: Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues.

Post  kewwig Sun 15 May 2011, 11:28 am

I had that issue with my Yoshi TRS and just made a small bracket extension with the aluminium strap. No issues at all

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. Dscf3310
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Sun 15 May 2011, 11:51 am

Although it's no help, I have no clearance issues with a Yoshy R77 and my panniers(PL536 racks I think). The case gets a bit warm, but no issues with melting. Used the panniers when I went to PI back in 09, worked like a charm. I do like the modified bracket idea, very nice
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 15 May 2011, 2:50 pm

I dont think the can gets THAT hot.Warmish but nothing like the headers.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sun 15 May 2011, 5:13 pm

gus wrote:I dont think the can gets THAT hot.Warmish but nothing like the headers.

You are right. The stock can heats up, but the Yoshi TRS stays quite cool. The bags don't get hot at all.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 15 May 2011, 6:24 pm

I had an exhaust that was close to the blinker so i kept checking it . Never got above warm .Must be the straight through system .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 May 2011, 2:11 pm

A Big Rethink. Apparently its not only the heat of the Can that might give you trouble but the heat of the the exhaust fumes at med.-high speed.
If you have a stubby can (like i have )imagine it throwing flames .If it hits your bag you have a problem.You want your exhaust tip past the bag .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Wed 18 May 2011, 2:34 pm

gus wrote:A Big Rethink. Apparently its not only the heat of the Can that might give you trouble but the heat of the the exhaust fumes at med.-high speed.
If you have a stubby can (like i have )imagine it throwing flames .If it hits your bag you have a problem.You want your exhaust tip past the bag .

HI Gus thanks for your input

This is what I am faced with. The tip just touches the bottom of the pannier making it a little awkward to get on however the exhaust exit is pointing away from the bottom of the pannier.

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. _MG_1032

Last edited by Mpottsy on Thu 19 May 2011, 1:10 pm; edited 3 times in total

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 May 2011, 4:09 pm

I think you have got trouble (actually i'm sure ).I have sent you an P.M. of a pic to look at.
Are you allowed to transfer pictures from another forum or is it a no-no ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Wed 18 May 2011, 5:04 pm

gus wrote:
Are you allowed to transfer pictures from another forum or is it a no-no ?
I do it all the time

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 May 2011, 5:43 pm

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. IMGP0216hole
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 18 May 2011, 7:33 pm

Damn. Perhaps some of the aluminium heat proof stick on stuff you line fairings with?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Wed 18 May 2011, 7:45 pm

Shit, that's an eye opener. I know my panniers get warm but it's never felt that warm.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 18 May 2011, 7:49 pm

Four40 wrote:Shit, that's an eye opener. I know my panniers get warm but it's never felt that warm.

I know. I am looking for some self adhesive heat tape right now..
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 18 May 2011, 7:53 pm

Holy pannier Gus Smile

My pipe points away from. A mate on a ZX14 had his soft bags melt from the exhaust, but they were actually resting on it. I can always remember telling him it'll melt and him saying nah this is heat proof hahaha. Stopped off some place and found that there was a decent sized hole.

So gus did you lose anything after a hole emerged in the pannier?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 May 2011, 8:14 pm

I would have thought turning the link pipe might fix it .When i made new link pipe i turned it to get the right angle .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 18 May 2011, 9:11 pm

I think the real problem is if you have exhaust gases blowing directly on the plastic, I once melted the plastic idler gears in the derailleur on my mountain bike,it was on the bike rack, I thought it was far enough away, and it probably was around town but after some sustained highway driving. Lets say I carted the bike all the way for nothing, a friend used to race mountain bikes and said she'd seen people melt tyres on a long trip.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 May 2011, 9:20 pm

Not mine, i stole the picture .Its a good one isnt it .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Wed 18 May 2011, 9:32 pm

gus wrote:I would have thought turning the link pipe might fix it .When i made new link pipe i turned it to get the right angle .

Believe me I have tried that, twisted pulled pushed swore swore some more threw my toys out of my pram and started all over again. Still no joy so final thing is the small plate. I will try and pick up a piece of aluminium or steel and fabricate something from that.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 19 May 2011, 1:14 pm

Okay a few bucks spent at Bunnings and the exhaust issue has been resolved. The plate is approx 2" long and gives the end result. Very Happy *)

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. IMG_1036

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. IMG_1034

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. IMG_1035

Hopes this helps anyone else with similar issues.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza18 Sat 07 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

Hi Kewwig, can you advise how you made the bracket? i am having issue with my r77 yoshi melting the v35 givi panniers.. i have just posted some pics..kewwig wrote:I had that issue with my Yoshi TRS and just made a small bracket extension with the aluminium strap.  No issues at all

Givi Panniers and Scorpion Exhaust clearance issues. Dscf3310

Dazza18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 07 Dec 2013, 6:15 pm

Just looking at that photo, I see the can (RS3?) has a outlet that kinks downwards and pretty much faces backwards, unlike the R77 which just points upwards at the same line as the can.  That should be contributing to directing the exhaust gases away from the panniers.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:33 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Just looking at that photo, I see the can (RS3?) has a outlet that kinks downwards and pretty much faces backwards, unlike the R77 which just points upwards at the same line as the can.  That should be contributing to directing the exhaust gases away from the panniers.
That can is a TRS but the outlet is pointed down a little.  It would also be possible to get some of the self adhesive heat resistant foil and stick it to that spot on the bag
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down