Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Givi pannier racks

+7
Re-Cycled
Boatz
barry_mcki
Four40
kewwig
gus
Anthony Pearce
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty My Givi pannier racks

Post  Anthony Pearce Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:47 pm

My Givi pannier racks Dscf0914
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty Re: My Givi pannier racks

Post  gus Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

Mmmm ,need to move the seat lock do we.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Can you show us a pic of how you have it mounted to the grab rail mounts? The correct rack is the Givi PL539 (PLX539 if you have the V35 cases), and it does not mount through the indicator holes as you have shown. The cross bar goes under the taillight, and it mounts further back. It should not foul the key, and either you have mounted it wrong, or you have been given the wrong rack.

Here's a stock pic from twisted Throttle that shows how it should look. Google image search Givi PL539. If you load a pic showing all your mount points we can help. Something it most surely wrong!!

My Givi pannier racks Pl53910
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:33 pm

+1 to either wrong mounting or wrong rack. My seat lock is easily clear of the rack. Can't get to it with the pannier on though, but that's to be expected.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:34 am

Hi Anthony,

Here are two photo's from a UK site showing the PL539 (with the 539FZ top case kit as well).

My Givi pannier racks Pl539_10
My Givi pannier racks Pl539_11

As you can see the rear bar goes further back than yours. From your photo it looks like the top mounts seem to be in the correct position (i.e. at the rear) and if the front arms are mounted in the correct position then it's either a wrong part or a complete balls up on the assembly line.

My Givi pannier racks Pl539_12

My Givi pannier racks Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty my Givi pannier racks

Post  Anthony Pearce Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

My Givi pannier racks LHS mount picMy Givi pannier racks Lhs_mo11
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

Looks like the rear cross bar is in the wrong place. Can you remove it, turn it the other way round etc and get it on the outside of the rear mudguard as per the other pics we have attached? The rack definitely shouldn't foul the key.

Anyone else out there with a PL539 can take a pic to show how it sits? I have the PLX rack which has a different cross bar system, so not much use to you.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

Anthony, do you still have the packing materials etc? Any chance they have given you a Givi PL 526 rather than the PL539? Similar rack, but the 526 is for the 06 1200 (K6 model)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty My Givi pannier racks

Post  Anthony Pearce Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

Thank you for replying to my problem. It's always heartening to share a problem. Special thanks to kewwig.
In reply to your suggestions. Re relocating the bridge bar so that it goes under the light and behind the mudguard: The bridge bar ends up being even further away from the tags on the brackets if reversed. If it were bent more it would be too short. The salesman and mechanic at the dealer who sold it to me said the part was wrong. They could not fault my assembly. They could not understand why the seat lock was covered. The distributor who sent it to the dealer said it was wrong after I emailed him photos. The invoice and the label say it's a PL539/KL539 for a Suzuki GSF650/1250cc '07 Bandit.My Bandit is a 2010 .Fellow Ulyssians say it's wrong. The distributor wants me to bring it up to Minto so he can take a look at it. He is adamant that he has sold hundreds of this part and never had a complaint.. I have spent days modifying it , adding spacers and recycling the original bolts that came out of the handrail. The instruction manual you kindly provided is the same as mine.

Finally, the salesman said I could take it off and hand it back in and get a refund. That leaves me without any panniers unless I buy a complete kit and two E35s.(could this be the agenda?) My 2 E41s click straight on. There's no problem with the side brackets. One of your photos shows a Bandit with a V46 (like mine) top box and two E35 side panniers (unlike mine) with a straight frame, like my frame. Other photos I've seen show a contoured frame, also with a top box. Maybe my mistake was not ordering a complete pannier bracket kit including a topbox and hang the expense.
Also, and this might seem a bit obsessive, I disliked the way that the supplied metal blinker bracket caused the whole number plate light and the blinkers to wobble. As well, the metal plate does not fit into the rubber surround on the number plate mount, so it has to be squashed, which is unsightly and liable to leak. I cut it up and mounted them vertically onto the lugs to which the bridge should have been attached. I am trying to get hold of a tube bender so I can make a rear bridge bar to be on the safe side. In principle, where does Givi get off selling accessories that require the disfigurement of my bike? I was prepared to pay a premium for Givi quality. To go on, may I ask why Givi thinks it acceptable to leave 2 holes in the mudguard. Why are not pop- in blanks/grommets supplied? To go on and on: after all, it's a Bandit. not a BMW dual! My Givi pannier racks Crap_l10
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

Givi stuff is good quality and what you have is highly unusual. The indicator mount is not a great design, and I am looking at making mounts to fit on the arms of my top box. I have run the indicator leads under the taillight lens and not through the old holes. I have used Suzuki indicator mounting plates to cover the holes in the guard.

My Givi pannier racks Dscf4622

My Givi pannier racks Dscf4623

The numberplate light/reflector assembly is a two piece part with a rear spacer (a US version is longer to allow for side reflectors). Yours is missing the mounting piece, and possibly the tubular spacers, which is causing your problems. The mount goes between the two pieces. Your setup is wrong. You can take a couple of mm off the spacers to tighten it up a bit. Don't take off too much and split the guard.

It should look like this one (mine is for the V35s and is a PLX setup, but the indicator mounting method is the same).

My Givi pannier racks Dscf4719

You can make up mounts for the numberplate rack and run LEDs off them too

My Givi pannier racks Dscf4545

I suggest returning the rack and ask for a replacement. There's no difference between the model years for the GSFs, so one rack will fit everything right up to the GSX1250FA. You seem to have a dud!

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty My !@#$%^& Givi pannier racks

Post  Anthony Pearce Sat 10 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

kewwig,
Thank you,thank you, thank you.
TonyMy Givi pannier racks Dscf0915My Givi pannier racks Dscf0916
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 10 Mar 2012, 3:01 pm

I see you have a different rear end and taillight, so you may not have any spacer with that setup. How have you got on in terms of clearing the key? Have you got a side photo showing the whole rack in situ?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty my Givi panniers

Post  Anthony Pearce Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm

kewwig, if you scroll up this page you will see a left h view of the rack, the keyhole blocked.My Givi pannier racks Lhs_mo12
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

Hi Tony. How did you get on with this issue?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 18 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Anthony Pearce wrote:kewwig, if you scroll up this page you will see a left h view of the rack, the keyhole blocked.My Givi pannier racks Lhs_mo12

Tony, your rear end doesn't look like any 1250 I've seen, the duck tail, tail light, side cover (the mounting screw is not even there) and foot peg mount all look different. Certainly something strange going on.

My Givi pannier racks Pic_0010

It appears that if your foot peg was lower and more towards the rear that would bring the front of the panier frame down missing the key and push the rear further back thus allowing the rear bar to line up. Not sure how this will affect the mounting up at the grab handle.

Will be interesting to find out what has happened.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Sun 18 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

What's doing with the above picture. A 200/40/17 rear tyre. Shocked

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 18 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

Boatz wrote:What's doing with the above picture. A 200/40/17 rear tyre. Shocked

On a bike with a side-car, Boatz.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

Four40 wrote:+1 to either wrong mounting or wrong rack. My seat lock is easily clear of the rack. Can't get to it with the pannier on though, but that's to be expected.

Ditto, my thoughts exactly, I have no problem at all getting to the seat lock (with the LH pannier off), also the bridge bar on mine sits behind the rear gaurd
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

Anthony has what is called the Mk 5 version, which I thought was only for European markets (where are you based, Anthony?), although I see MC News had some pics. It has a different rear cowling, taillight, side covers and rear guard/undertray. I have never seen one in NZ and don't think that model ever made it here. Check out the attached pics, and you can see that the indicators appear to be slightly further back, although it's hard to tell. The passenger footpegs seem to be in the right places in relation to the seat, and if they were different, it would affect the pipe fitting. A set of spacers may be needed to relocate the cross bar slightly further back, but the keyhole seems to be in the same relative position as the conventional GSF.

All I can suggest, Anthony, is sitting your bike beside a standard GSF1250 and taking some measurements

My Givi pannier racks 2010_s10

My Givi pannier racks Dsc_0010

My Givi pannier racks 65658910
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

That looks like a 2010 model that's on Suzuki Australia's web site.

On there it says new body styling, new tail light, new headlight etc.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

I'm not sure if this will help or not, here is some pic's of the E41 rack on my 2011 plated bandit

My Givi pannier racks 16lwpzk

My Givi pannier racks 2ccqmq9

My Givi pannier racks 10s6qah

My Givi pannier racks 29wmkco

My Givi pannier racks 11bndps
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

My Givi pannier racks Empty Givi pannier racks are crap

Post  Anthony Pearce Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

Thank you all for replying to my problem. The photos are a help. Thanks for taking the trouble. You must be right about the model variation. Since the dealer and the distributor cannot replace the kit with one that fits, I have settled for modifying the kit as I cannot resist making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I will send you all photos of my butchurious efforts ( no disrespect intended).
Moving the blinkers away from that light assembly and keeping it neat is a challenge. I have taken up pipe bending as a hobby, an expensive, time consuming hobby.
Thanks again.
AnthonyMy Givi pannier racks Dscf0917
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

Anthony Pearce wrote:Since the dealer and the distributor cannot replace the kit with one that fits

Why not? You shouldn't have to modify it

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

I dont have panniers, but may I make a suggestion ? If I did have them, I would source out some nice slim, flush mount LED indicators to attach to the panniers. Thus doing away with the need to move your original indicators. Just unplug them and put them in the shed. I think someone here has even used self adhesive LED strips.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:57 am

One of the advantages besides keeping the world ecconomy afloat of the Givi boxes (side or top) is that the red reflectors can be retrofitted with LEDs behind them. Admore out of Canada have good kits (price is consistent with Givi - bloody expensive) but at least it is made to fit and comes with instructions and mounting bits.

My Givi pannier racks E41_ph10

I think you could do the same if game enough with one of the Chinese sets, or as Hammy suggests with the stick-ons.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next