Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads

+2
2wheelsagain
madmax
6 posters

Go down

Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads Empty Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads

Post  madmax Thu 22 May 2014, 11:51 am

Ok so yesterday I decided to have a good look at my brake pads to see how they were wearing.

After swinging up the rear calliper and removing the pads for a good look. I slightly pressed the piston back to make easier getting the calliper back on.
I did the same thing with the front.
As all the pads were no more than 50% used I reinstalled them
Of course afterwards I pumped up the brakes to pressurise the pistons again.

Today I noticed the bakes feel much firmer when applied! Particularly the front

I don't see why pushing the pistons back would improve brake feel afterwards???

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads Empty Re: Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 22 May 2014, 1:15 pm

I cant explain it mate but I have a much better leaver for a couple of weeks after a front tyre change. Its happened a couple of times now. It doesn't last long though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads Empty Re: Brake lever feel improves after inspecting pads

Post  madmax Thu 22 May 2014, 3:36 pm

Your experience would probably be the same thing, as they're likely to have pushed your front pistons back to reinstall the wheel.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpie Thu 22 May 2014, 9:57 pm

The improvement you feel in the levers is common on most brake systems when the pistons in callipers or cylinders are moved past or returned from their operational position. The same thing applies to cars.

The reason is that they are only ever moved a very short distance (.5mm approx. or less) during normal road operation. This causes them to become sticky in their bores, therefore requiring a bit more effort to move the pads.

The other reason is that most modern systems use more than 1 piston in each calliper & are also different sizes (1 maybe 30 mm while the other is only 26mm). The different sizes means they will apply a different amount of pressure to the pads. This allows 1 end of the pad to touch the disc sooner so you get a more progressive feel to the lever as you apply the pressure. Next time you take your pads out to inspect them you should notice that they have worn with a slight taper.

Most of us should be able to remember the disc brakes from the 70's & early 80's with only single piston callipers & how the levers always felt very "wooden" and hard. Wet weather performance also suffered.

The best way to over come this problem is to replace the brake fluid on a regular basis (no longer than 2 years). Even better is to do it annually & each time flush the system through with clean brake fluid or metho.

Another way is to pump the lever & pedal hard several times before you ride off if the bike has sat for a week or more. This should apply enough pressure to free up all sticking pistons. Try it some time.

Well, I hope I haven't bored to many of you that have read this but this is just 1 of the things you pick up when working in the mechanical trade for 40 years!
kelpie
kelpie

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 22 May 2014, 10:17 pm

I have never felt the same in a car before, maybe because of the vacuum assistance.

I have over the years changed and rebuilt plenty of car braking system but have little experience with motorcycle systems

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpie Thu 22 May 2014, 10:33 pm

madmax wrote:I have never felt the same in a car before, maybe because of the vacuum assistance.

I have over the years changed and rebuilt plenty of car braking system but have little experience with motorcycle systems

It's not quite as noticeable in a car but I've had several customers over the years coment on how much better their brakes feel after a service which includes a brake fluid change.
kelpie
kelpie

Back to top Go down

Post  aussie Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:26 pm

Noticed the same thing after I had a new front tyre fitted. When discussing this and the poor performance of the front brakes with the tyre fitter (x Suzuki mechanic) he suggested the following:
- change calipers for one off a gsx/gsxr 1000 
- fit a master cyl from a gsx/600/750/1000

I have no experience with these bikes nor any expertise in this area so I offer his comments for your comments.

cheers

george

aussie

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:31 pm

aussie wrote:Noticed the same thing after I had a new front tyre fitted. When discussing this and the poor performance of the front brakes with the tyre fitter (x Suzuki mechanic) he suggested the following:

I have no experience with these bikes nor any expertise in this area so I offer his comments for your comments.

cheers

george
Braided lines and OEM pads are all that's needed.
The big lump will never stop like a sports bike and with the stock front end OEM is about its limit.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

With the one proviso of; read up good and thorough before replacing the ABS lines with braided.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:21 pm

aussie wrote:Noticed the same thing after I had a new front tyre fitted. When discussing this and the poor performance of the front brakes with the tyre fitter (x Suzuki mechanic) he suggested the following:

cheers

george

Hi George,

I can tell you from personal experience (a big word for trial and error), that the suggested changes will make little difference.  What will make a HUGE difference is a Brembo RCS19 master cylinder.

Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

^^^Listen to the guy in the clown hat with the evil smile. He speaks wise words.

(Dekenai - just to steal the thread - do you run yours on 18 or 20?)

Last edited by !Tag on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 14 Nov 2014, 8:08 am

Wide words? Smile

Using the 20 mm (Black) fulcrum on the Bandit.  I have just got another (for the Gixxer) and will be interested to see which works better.  Brembo recommend 20mm for street use with 4 pot calipers, or 18 mm for track.  The K9 radial master was replaced under recall but even after fitting Galfer Superbike lines was still very inferior compared to the setup on the Bandit.

Going to Eastern Creek on Monday (17 Nov) and will see how it works.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

So, I cleaned my glasses and got the previous post to make a bit more sense Embarassed

If your Bandit's model switches ratio by exchanging bits they've changed it for my model. Mine switches with an inbuilt screw adjuster.

The recommendations by Brembo just stated  - 18 for 4 piston sytems and 20 for 6 pistons.

I went for 20 to give less movement with more effort rather than vice versa.

Be interested to hear how the gixxer's goes.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down