Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Pads

+6
reddog
mtbeerwah
NZspokes
madmax
Bosco15
Foster
10 posters

Go down

Brake Pads Empty Brake Pads

Post  Foster Tue 31 Mar 2015, 9:14 pm

I was wondering what brake pads people recommend? and are they compatible with the factory rotors?

Cheers Adam

Foster

Back to top Go down

Brake Pads Empty Re: Brake Pads

Post  Bosco15 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm

EBC is a brand that I trust and use. 
Changing brake pads is such an infrequent exercise, unless you are racing, that paying for a quality product over a cheap knock off is a no brainer. 
Sintered metal pads have been recommended to me in the past. They provide a better initial bite than normal "Organic" pads, but some say at the expense of increased wear to the rotors. 
The variety of choice is huge and can be daunting. The best solution is to explain to your favorite and trusted motorbike parts shop, what bike you ride and how you ride it, whether you cruise, commute, track day, race etc and they can recommend the right compound for your bike.  
Don't go cheap and nasty! $70-$80 should get you a front set (two rotors) of quality pads.
Another $40-$50 for the rear. You may save $20-$30 buy buying "Ping Pang" brand but may pay dearly in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 01 Apr 2015, 8:34 am

I put EBC Organic in before the Parkes ride. Honestly can't tell the difference from them to the OEMs

I got them from my local dealer, its all he stocks. he doesn't stock Suzuki pads. Read into that as you wish.

If your looking for better braking performance, try sintered pads EBC double HH, though as Bosco said in the long run its going to cost you in Rotors.
The best thing you can do is to change the master cylinder. A few guys on here have gone down that road, if you do a search you can read their story.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Wed 01 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm

I run DP HH+ on my VTR. Stunning power. But yes they will go through rotors.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 01 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

Don`t get "Sintered" pads if you want them compatible with your rotors.

They WILL kill your rotors, as NZspokes said, and squeal their head off.. In saying that, they work very well.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 02 Apr 2015, 9:29 am

I've got sintered pads here. Ebc are good units. No squealing from mine. Make sure you clean your rotors with brake cleaner before installing new pads too.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:35 am

reddog wrote:I've got sintered pads here. Ebc are good units. No squealing from mine. Make sure you clean your rotors with brake cleaner before installing new pads too.

Good tip, that, Reddog.

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 02 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm

I have EBC in my red not a Bandit. Fantastic Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 02 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:Don`t get "Sintered" pads if you want them compatible with your rotors.

They WILL kill your rotors, as NZspokes said, and squeal their head off.. In saying that, they work very well.
AFAIK the standard pads are sintered HH,

I put the Ferodo HH pads (as sold by Dale Walker) and didn't notice any substantial improvement.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 02 Apr 2015, 1:44 pm

Dekenai wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:Don`t get "Sintered" pads if you want them compatible with your rotors.

AFAIK the standard pads are sintered HH,

I put the Ferodo HH pads (as sold by Dale Walker) and didn't notice any substantial improvement.

If they are i didn't notice any difference going from the OEM standard pad to EBC organic

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 02 Apr 2015, 9:51 pm

I use to use ferodo HH sintered pads , and my discs were stuffed after 50 000kms, but found they worked very well, and squealed to the point of annoyance.

I now use OEM, pads, and I think they`re fantastic.

But to clarify, the pads I now use, are from the 01-02 GSXR 1000, as my oil cooled, shares the same caliper as it, the busa, and SV.

After doing a bit of research with my local dealer, found they all have a slightly different compound, but are all interchangeable, so opted to try the GIXER pads with new discs 70 000kms ago, and my discs are still very good, and it has a better bite. The down side is OEM pads are expensive, but I`m very happy with the ones I use.

I don`t know if you water boys have the option to choose as I do ?

I have been contemplating, trying Brembo pads, and spoke to a supplier about them, as for the ratios of material used in them, so as not to chew out my discs. Obviously, he`s biased towards his/their product, and was pitching the EBC`s were of poor quality, and had a high level of metallic material, which is what chews your disc, but they do have their name behind it, so I will give them ago. Once again, they're not cheap either, but if they work well, and don`t destroy my disc, I`ll use them.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Thu 02 Apr 2015, 11:13 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
I don`t know if you water boys have the option to choose as I do ?

Just did a quick check to see if other Suzies used the same brakes and maybe find different OEM pads like mentioned by MT, however it appears only the 650/1250 water Bandits used these calipers:

Brake Pads Front_10

Brake Pads Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Foster Mon 06 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

I had a search for the information on brake master cylinders and there was enough information there to justify the change. I will probably install braided brake lines to start of with and see how that improves the braking.

Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:33 pm

I had a mate do that on his 1250 with ABS.. He reckons the braided lines made next to no difference and were a bitch to fit. May as well fit a new Master cylinder such as a Brembo RCS
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:00 pm

Foster wrote:I had a search for the information on brake master cylinders and there was enough information there to justify the change. I will probably install braided brake lines to start of with and see how that improves the braking.

Foster

For god's sake if yours is an ABS model, don't replace the front ABS lines from the fork yoke to the ABS unit with braided lines.

Sorry to yell at you but this bit is really important. Almost everyone who has replaced these lines with braideds has had the most godawful problems with bleeding them and you'll often end up with worse brakes than when you started.
For more info go to the Two Wheeled Texans website and search the Bandit Megathread.

The ABS lines are mostly steel and should never need replacing and will outperform any flexible line anyway, but the suppliers keep supplying them because they sell. 

Mine caused huge frustration for 50,000k until I replaced the master cylinder with a Brembo which allows effective bleeding.

Suzuki must have noted the problem because in the GSX they have fitted bleed nipples in the tpiece on the fork yoke that joins the ABS lines to the flexi lines that run to the calipers.

Have a look to see if the non ABS braided sets will marry to the joiner to the ABS lines and replace just those.

(Hey, reddog, am I sounding like a bull on a china shop lately? Wink )
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Foster Tue 07 Apr 2015, 4:41 pm

All good guys, my bandit is non abs.

Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down