Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Pads.

+7
mtbeerwah
Boatz
rolls
reddog
dhula
holdenman
Hammy
11 posters

Go down

Brake Pads. Empty Brake Pads.

Post  Hammy Sun 21 Aug 2011, 9:23 am

I have my Bandit partly stripped down at the moment. Headers off to get the coating treatment. ( will post before and after pics when done ). While the muffler is off I thought it a good time to replace all brake pads. Anyone bought a decent set that they would reccomend ? There are so many brands out there. Also while I have her stripped down I did the usual checks. The air cleaner is still the standard one! That is after the guy I bought it off had it re-jetted to tune in with the Staintune can. (I have the reciept for the Dyno kit fit so I know it was done). Wouldn't you think that a mechanic would fit a high flow filter as standard practise ? I'm going to fit a DNA high flow filter.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Brake Pads. Empty Re: Brake Pads.

Post  holdenman Sun 21 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

I just put Vesrah Sintered Metal brake pads in. Very happy with them

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

holdenman wrote:I just put Vesrah Sintered Metal brake pads in. Very happy with them

Thanks Holdenman. Where did you get them ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

I put sintered pads in all round to start with and I got them from metalgear I think. Not a bad price and good shipping times.
Front worked much better than stock with no other mods apart from a really good bleed.
Rear IMO was worse with less initial bite and what felt like more effort at the pedal to do the same thing and what felt to me to be less feedback as to what the back brake was doing. They would lock up and get the ABS to kick in just as well as the stock pads but I ended up putting the stockers back into the back brakes and was happier that way. I don't think it was a problem with the pads, more me not liking those pads at the back of the bike.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

EBC HH pads. Sintered pads make stopping much nicer than the stocks.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 22 Aug 2011, 7:56 am

reddog wrote:EBC HH pads. Sintered pads make stopping much nicer than the stocks.

Cheers Reddog.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

Full set (F&R) of EBC HH pads from USA on ebay - $125 delivered.

Standard , non sintered pads (front only) $110 from the local Canberra bike shop. I don't know why I even bother to ask thier prices any more.

I picked up a full set (F, R & clutch) of Goodridge braided hoses while I was at it for $150 delivered. Go you Aussie dollar!!
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:50 pm

Hey Rolls, Can i ask you where you got the brake lines from and if they were for an ABS model.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:05 am

No, they weren't to fit an abs model. I got the brake lines from the UK and found a clutch line here in Oz, and the brake pads came from the USA, all from evilbay. You can traul the listings for what you're after, or set up a search that can also send you email updates. Make sure you search worldwide as there are tons of listings for bandit gear in Germany and Brittain.

Brake pads

Braided lines

Tony.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

@Boatz: The last quote I got for ABS lines were obscene. A mate I ride with reckons it makes bugger all difference anyway. He swears that the EBC HH pads make the most difference
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:51 pm

G`day,
Just take care when putting sintered pads in, i`ve done alot of k`s with sintered pads on standard discs,and over time,only had them squeal all the time and chew the crap out of the disc,causing me to have to buy new discs. After experimenting a bit with pads found out ( in my example) that my bike being 2003 bandit,it shares the same calliper as 99-07 busa, 01-02 gsxr 1000, and a few others, but all have the same shape pad,but different compounds. So i`ve put in the 01-02 gsxr 1000 pads which are alot different compound than the bandit, but have the same bite as sintered and aren`t aggresive on the disc and are quiet.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:09 am

mtbeerwah wrote:G`day,
Just take care when putting sintered pads in, i`ve done alot of k`s with sintered pads on standard discs,and over time,only had them squeal all the time and chew the crap out of the disc,causing me to have to buy new discs. After experimenting a bit with pads found out ( in my example) that my bike being 2003 bandit,it shares the same calliper as 99-07 busa, 01-02 gsxr 1000, and a few others, but all have the same shape pad,but different compounds. So i`ve put in the 01-02 gsxr 1000 pads which are alot different compound than the bandit, but have the same bite as sintered and aren`t aggresive on the disc and are quiet.

Cheers for that mtbeerwah. Good info.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

I'm still running the standard pads and I got a huge improvement by having the front bled at the first tyre change. Fantastic bight after that.
The main thing that lets the braking down is the amount of dive causing the initial part of the braking being consumed in settling the chassis instead of washing off speed. I'll be replacing my pads with as close to stock as I can get. They work well if set up right.
Oh and at 24,000 + my fronts still fizz. I like it Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

me to.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

i am getting new paads shortly [after having braided lines fitted at the aforemntioned obscene price Shocked ] but i think i might get the stock pads - i am a bit worried about getting the discs chomped even though bite might be better etc with different pads - i read something aboutthis a while ago in a mag but cant remember where - can anyone throw any knowedge at this?

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

potatomasher wrote:i am getting new paads shortly [after having braided lines fitted at the aforemntioned obscene price ] but i think i might get the stock pads - i am a bit worried about getting the discs chomped even though bite might be better etc with different pads - i read something aboutthis a while ago in a mag but cant remember where - can anyone throw any knowedge at this?
Apparently I'm up for new pads next service and the blue shop here recommended OEM when I asked about pads with more bite. They suggested with braded lines the extra feel and control the OEM pads are all I need.
If they're half as good as the FZ1 brakes (not braded) I'll be happy. I have always thought the B1250 stopped well too.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

I just fitted Goodridge pads .Now they have worn in seem fine .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sun 06 Jan 2013, 6:07 pm

At 25,000 kms, and with second set of new tyres, I thought I'd replace the pads.

Bought some generic pads off eBay - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Eonfine-Parts?_trksid=p4340.l2563 - and the sponginess is gone.........how did you fix it, I hear you ask....Very Happy

Left hand inner pad showed some uneven wear, and as I levered the piston back in she resisted, then gave in and returned. So I extended the pistons, stopping the pistons from popping right out with a couple of judicuously placed ring spanners. Yep, definitely resisted a few times through this process, but eventually seemed freer. Pads in and suddenly I can get good feel even stationary. So a check test ride and bed in arounbd the block. Much better feel .

Moral of this story - before you shell out for braided lines like I did, do a simple check first.......

Anyhow, she stops really well now, and the new front BT023 tips in way better than the PR3 ever did, so a good result allo the way round.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down