Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters. Are They ?

+3
Reardo
paul
Hammy
7 posters

Go down

Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters.  Are They ? Empty Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters. Are They ?

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 9:31 am

Looking up oil filters I came across this one :  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REUSABLE-Oil-Filter-Cooler-For-Suzuki-GSF1250S-Bandit-S-2007-2009-/321031475852?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abef7928c

Anyone had any experience wit this type. Looks and sounds like it would last for ever.  4-5 oil changes and it would have paid for itself.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters.  Are They ? Empty Re: Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters. Are They ?

Post  paul Sun 10 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

for a little over $20 for a OEM filter I know works,  & changed at every oil change , I wouldn't bother or take the risk . It's not like they are expensive  to start with .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters.  Are They ? Empty Re: Oil Filters Aint Oil Filters. Are They ?

Post  Reardo Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:03 am

At $145 delivered you can have "8 of these K&N oil filters" & not have to clean a filter.
I've used K&N from new. I usually buy 2 at a time, As buying from UK is usually a couple of weeks wait.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

paul wrote:for a little over $20 for a OEM filter I know works,  & changed at every oil change , I wouldn't bother or take the risk . It's not like they are expensive  to start with .
Yes I know Paul.  But it looks Cool.  Cool
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:32 am

Reardo wrote:At $145 delivered you can have "8 of these K&N oil filters" & not have to clean a filter.
I've used K&N from new. I usually buy 2 at a time, As buying from UK is usually a couple of weeks wait.
Ok, Ok.  I gave in.  Ordered 2 of them.  I am using the K&N ones now.  By the way Reardo ( Birthday Buddy ),  What oil are you running ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

Hammy k&n are the way to go they have a nice 17 mm head on the front no more burned fingers 

and i use Penrite full synthetic 10 racing 10w40  about $60 for 5 litres
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:47 am

I have been using Ipone 15.5 semi in my bandit & it seems to work well in them 
( I have the adapter for the oil filter which also has a nut incorporated on the end to use a spanner on )

http://www.ipone.fr/EN/

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:57 am

Hammy wrote:
Reardo wrote:At $145 delivered you can have "8 of these K&N oil filters" & not have to clean a filter.
Ok, Ok.  I gave in.  Ordered 2 of them.  I am using the K&N ones now.  By the way Reardo ( Birthday Buddy ),  What oil are you running ?
Jimcoleman wrote:Hammy k&n are the way to go they have a nice 17 mm head on the front no more burned fingers 

Been using Penrite full synthetic 10 racing 10w40 for a couple of months now and have it pretty good!

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 1:14 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:Hammy k&n are the way to go they have a nice 17 mm head on the front no more burned fingers 

I have been useing the K&N filters Jim. I too like the nut idea. Thought I read somewhere that the Bandits don't like a full synthetic.  Any truth in that rumour ?  Well I guess you wouldn't be running it if there was. scratch .  I'm always willing to try a different oil as long as it is a well known brand.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 10 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

I wouldn't touch it without an the assessment and endorsement of a trustworthy 3rd party.

You have no guarantee of anything but a bunch of (for all we know) marketing hype. Why is an anti-drain back valve not required?  There does not appear to be anything special about the design and these valves are there so you get oil pressure almost immediately after start-up.  And what about the by-pass valve, no mention of it.  It's there to ensure you get oil even when the filter is clogged (unfiltered oil is better than no oil) and if the filter material is so much finer wouldn't be more susceptible to clogging?  

Personally, I don't like handling used oil (it's carcinogenic), and could not be bothered buggering about cleaning this thing.  If you want to save money you can get OEM Suzuki filters (a known good product with the endorsement of a trustworthy source) from the states for about $10 ea.  If you include them with other stuff the incremental shipping cost is minimal.

Well, that's my 2c.

BTW. Synthetic is effectively just really good oil with all of the dinosaur bones, paraffinic waxes and dirt from being the ground removed.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 10 Nov 2013, 8:07 pm

Hammy wrote:

I have been useing the K&N filters Jim. I too like the nut idea. Thought I read somewhere that the Bandits don't like a full synthetic.  Any truth in that rumour ?  Well I guess you wouldn't be running it if there was. scratch .  I'm always willing to try a different oil as long as it is a well known brand.
I think the "no synthetic" thing comes from the early 1200s which had a clutch not quite up to the task and would slip if Full synthetic oil was used. I certainly had slippage after the bike shop changed my oil. I ended up putting friction plates and a barnett heavy duty spring in. I believe the factory up rated the clutch from GenII so that it was sufficient except for heavily modified engines.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 8:45 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I think the "no synthetic" thing comes from the early 1200s which had a clutch not quite up to the task and would slip if Full synthetic oil was used. I certainly had slippage after the bike shop changed my oil. I ended up putting friction plates and a barnett heavy duty spring in. I believe the factory up rated the clutch from GenII so that it was sufficient except for heavily modified engines.
Cheers Recyc'.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 11 Nov 2013, 8:23 pm

Hammy wrote:

dunno my mate put me on to it. his bandit has 90k + on it mine when i sold it had 84K on it no rattles or clunks on either, i did notice when the oil was going off the gearbox got a bit clunkier didnt shift as nicely but that was the tell to change the oil plus there was never any shiney stuff in the oil tray.
and the Penrite has F1 Cars, bikes, sportcars and boats with big wings on the lable so its goota be good stuff for the bandit
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

I use K & N oil filters too.
Actually my local blue shop uses them in all their bikes unless OEM is requested.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down