Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Bandit questions

+3
2wheelsagain
Saikhan
Tommyboy
7 posters

Go down

New Bandit questions Empty New Bandit questions

Post  Tommyboy Sun 30 May 2010, 4:40 am

New Bandit questions IMG00045-20100529-1719

Hi fellow Bandit owners. I just picked up an '05 650 Bandit and so far I'm very impressed. I've only taken her out once, but I have a few questions:

(1) I'm used to trail bikes so the Bandit's riding position feels unnatural to me. I'm 6' 2" and I found I was leaning quite heavily on the handlebars most of time and it didn't feel very safe. Is that normal?

(2) What's the best way to set up the bike for a tall rider? If I raise the seat I'm going to have to crouch even more... Would a suspension adjustment make any significant difference?

(3) It came with Renthal handlebars - would they be higher or lower than the stock handlebars?

Cheers.

Last edited by Tommyboy on Sun 30 May 2010, 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pic didn't show)
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty Re: New Bandit questions

Post  Saikhan Sun 30 May 2010, 5:08 am

Hey Tommy,

1- You get used to the leaning position quickly. Risers are available for the bars, that will take some weight off of your wrists.

2- Way too long an answer for now. Smile

3- What bend are the bars. I'd guess they are higher than stock though.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 30 May 2010, 11:48 am

Tommyboy wrote:New Bandit questions IMG00045-20100529-1719

Hi fellow Bandit owners. I just picked up an '05 650 Bandit and so far I'm very impressed. I've only taken her out once, but I have a few questions:

(1) I'm used to trail bikes so the Bandit's riding position feels unnatural to me. I'm 6' 2" and I found I was leaning quite heavily on the handlebars most of time and it didn't feel very safe. Is that normal?

(2) What's the best way to set up the bike for a tall rider? If I raise the seat I'm going to have to crouch even more... Would a suspension adjustment make any significant difference?

(3) It came with Renthal handlebars - would they be higher or lower than the stock handlebars?

Cheers.

G'day Tommyboy. Put a bit more info in your profile and you may get someone offering to have a look at your setup.
The riding position on these bikes if fairly comfortable to us tall (and wide) blokes so a feeling of being unsafe could be caused by a lot of things. Tire wear and pressures being a couple.
For anyone not used to riding road bikes a trick is to not grip the bars to tightly but grip the tank with your knees. That should take some pressure off your wrists and elbows.
If you're anywhere near Gippsland send me a PM.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 31 May 2010, 4:32 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Tommyboy wrote:New Bandit questions IMG00045-20100529-1719

Cheers.

G'day Tommyboy. Put a bit more info in your profile and you may get someone offering to have a look at your setup.
The riding position on these bikes if fairly comfortable to us tall (and wide) blokes so a feeling of being unsafe could be caused by a lot of things. Tire wear and pressures being a couple.
For anyone not used to riding road bikes a trick is to not grip the bars to tightly but grip the tank with your knees. That should take some pressure off your wrists and elbows.
If you're anywhere near Gippsland send me a PM.

Updated profile location noted Neutral

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Wed 02 Jun 2010, 6:37 am

Thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated. I'm getting used to the riding position on the Bandit. Not sure whether I'd be able to go touring on it but it's comfortable enough for every day use.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Sun 06 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

I changed the bars and I see what you mean about it being a comfortable bike. You could go all day on it. Those wide Renthal bars are a curse.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty dont know if the seats are the same as the later models.

Post  ohmyfj55 Sun 06 Jun 2010, 10:13 pm

Hey mate,

Just check to see if the seat is able to be adjusted, the bike i have has two settings on the rider's seat to either raise or lower it. Couple this with the risers and it is ok.

The other thing i did, after adjusting to the higher setting, was go to my local engineering shop and forty dollars have him spin up some 30mm alloy spacers. in conjunction with some longer high tensile bolts and moving the bars on the back/forth axis, got a good spot. Raising 30mm was enough without affecting any cable travel.

And yeah, have learned to grip the tank under braking especially, making a big difference to the wrists. There may even be adjustable rear-sets for yours but in looking at sets of adjustable pegs for mine, have not yet found any "relatively inexpensive" ones. $500-$800 is a lot of money.

Also, pulled the front forks through the clamps by 7mm, was enough to not affect the handling in a negative way.

Hope this is of use.
Regards,
nathan
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Mon 07 Jun 2010, 6:19 am

If your legs are really cramped you can rotate the footpeg brackets 180 degrees.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Tue 08 Jun 2010, 6:39 am

Nathan - thanks for the advice, but what do you mean by "Couple this with the risers and it is ok"? Do you mean buy a new set of longer risers, or that you can adjust the stock risers? Are you using risers and 30mm spacers, and still have enough cable?

I learned that knees together thing the hard way.

Dink - Do the rotated pegs look weird? Also, do the footpegs still spring up?
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Tue 08 Jun 2010, 8:55 am

Rotating the peg brackets will also put the pegs slightly further forward which you may not like.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty sorry for the confusion

Post  ohmyfj55 Fri 11 Jun 2010, 10:52 am

Hey mate,

Just meant that if you can adjust your seat up and "couple this" seat adjustment with fitting the 30mm spacers, more appropriate term then risers. sorry for the confusion

Unfamiliar with the factory-included spacers you menioned for your bike on the other post. just out of curiosity, how thick are they.

And yeah, fitted the 30mm spacers (only, no risers as well) under the standard bar-clamps without any hinderence to cables/wiring.

Just had a look at my foot-pegs, might give that 180degree adjustment a go. thanks for the advice Dink

Regards,
Nathan

Last edited by ohmyfj55 on Fri 11 Jun 2010, 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : checking member's name)
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Mon 21 Jun 2010, 7:44 am

Did you flip your pegs yet Nathan? Just wondering how you got on with that. Thinking of doing it myself.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty not just yet but...

Post  ohmyfj55 Mon 21 Jun 2010, 11:38 am

Hey mate,

it has still been at the mechanics, should be able to pick it up tomorrow so will hopefully have time to give it a go later this week.

Will let you know though upon trying. How is yours at the moment for comfort. How did the factory spacers go, much of a differenc??
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Mon 21 Jun 2010, 8:35 pm

Factory spacers + new handlebars are a big improvement.

I raised the saddle, then lowered it again. My inner thigh kept catching on a corner and I didn't like the look of it – not to mention all the gaps that appeared around the seat once it was raised. It looked like it would let a lot of rain water in. Also, the more you raise the saddle, the more you have to raise the handlebars.

The seat is a bit hard, so for long trips I was planning on using an old bicycle gel saddle I picked up for a few euro. I'll either stick it to the saddle or shove it down my pants ;-)

All that's left now is the pegs mod, but I'm concerned about the narrower space between the peg and gear shifter.

On some bikes you can remove the rubber bits on the pegs which effectively drops them an inch or so.

On long rides I find thin (stock) pegs tend to dig into the soles of my feet, but I don't suppose there's much to do about that.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Mon 21 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm

On long rides I find thin (stock) pegs tend to dig into the soles of my feet, but I don't suppose there's much to do about that.[/quote]

Can you have long rides over there? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Mon 21 Jun 2010, 10:54 pm

Yeah but you have to go in circles Arrow
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty new bandit owner

Post  Big Al Mon 21 Jun 2010, 11:07 pm

Lol! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

New Bandit questions Empty Acerbis bike pants....

Post  ohmyfj55 Tue 22 Jun 2010, 7:55 pm

Just remembered that on long rides i have worn a pair of Acerbis shorts made specifically for Dirt/off-road riding.

They have a padded crotch area and padded hip areas. found that the lower padded section aids somewhat in comfort and that the bicycle-pant style length and fit wasn't noticeable under the jeans.

Another rider once told me he used to were lycra bicycle pants under his jeans and never suffered the "hot arse cheek" syndrome so often suffered on longer saddle time.

Can you get a product called Airhawk (just google Airhawk, should come up) over there, an adjustable inflatable cushion, in different sizes depending on bike style (which has a thin cover) thats straps to the top of the bike seat.

Have used that now instead of the Acerbis pants on road and it makes a huge difference. Just did two and a half hours straight from a jobsite to home and don't feel a thing, thoroughly recommended.

Regards,
Nathan
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Wed 23 Jun 2010, 12:37 am

I've heard very good things about the Airhawk. I have the cheap and nasty version - the Allyn Air Seat. It's does the job ok, but my cats like sitting on my motorbikes and they have sharp nails, so now it's punctured. I've tried 20 different glues, without success.

I'm going to google those shorts now.

Cheers.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 23 Jun 2010, 7:04 am

Tommyboy wrote:I've heard very good things about the Airhawk. I have the cheap and nasty version - the Allyn Air Seat. It's does the job ok, but my cats like sitting on my motorbikes and they have sharp nails, so now it's punctured. I've tried 20 different glues, without success.

I'm going to google those shorts now.

Cheers.
I got a puncture repair glue out of a camping store, it has been sucessfull so far.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Wed 23 Jun 2010, 8:37 am

Was it for air beds? If so it is could be some sort of vinyl cement. I have some of that and it should work in theory, but I think there's a residue of epoxy, silicone, puncture repair glue - you name it - that is stopping it getting a good bond. TBH I'm fed up with it.

I should probably just kill my cat and stuff it with foam. That would make a comfortable seat.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down