Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RadGuard - Radiator Protection

+28
ClaytonFirth
Countess
Re-Cycled
Ironman
Four40
SirFA
whitey1
gus
stretch
2010banditsa
boomer
Reardo
Big Al
yasta
fucku
potatomasher
Baz
Dink.1170
Davidi
Cameron
CHERRY1
chrisbandit
Dmaxhall
dhula
Dekenai
2wheelsagain
Sloth_27
32 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Empty RadGuard - Radiator Protection

Post  Sloth_27 Tue 25 Aug 2009, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

I reckon that fitting some sort of radiator guard to any water cooled bike is very important. Obviously this is something people with an air cooled Bandit need not worry about (same as my old GS500F).

Getting a hole in your radiator will not only ruin your day and leave you stranded but it will cost heaps if it needs replacing. I fitted a RadGuard to my bike and I'm really happy with the effectiveness and the look. It's a really strong cover that shouldn't affect air flow too much. It's not the cheapest product but considering the km's I do I think it's worth it in the long run.

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Forum003

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Forum004

Check them out at www.radguard.com.au
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Empty Re: RadGuard - Radiator Protection

Post  dhula Tue 28 Dec 2010, 1:59 am

holly crap. is that a humming bird or something.
it's huge

dhula

Back to top Go down

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Empty Re: RadGuard - Radiator Protection

Post  Ironman Sat 01 Jan 2011, 6:32 am

These radiator guards seem to be saving people alot of $ in damage repair bills from insect / rock / small animal impacts. You would think something this useful would be standard equipment. How is it different to, say, the chain guard?
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 01 Jan 2011, 9:29 am

Full Throttle wrote:These radiator guards seem to be saving people alot of $ in damage repair bills from insect / rock / small animal impacts. You would think something this useful would be standard equipment. How is it different to, say, the chain guard?

chain guards are for rider and passenger safety and radiator guards are safety for your bank account Smile .

Suzuki save money and weight by not making it standard, and can sell the bike for less.

Oh. New radiator from the U.S. with out delivery. retails for $677 Crying or Very sad

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 01 Jan 2011, 9:44 am

If you have to have a radiator, you could do worse than consult our friends at Beowulf.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GSF1250-BANDIT-RADIATOR-COVER-GUARD-GRILL-S026-/370293886825?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item56373c4f69

Works out cheaper than a lot of local companies.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 01 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

I've got one of those .Being so shiny my eyes kept getting drawn to it .Radiators not the prettiest of things so painted it black.To me there
seems enough space between the mesh so not to look TOO much. Quality first class.Bike fell over once (O.k. dropped it ,hurried u-e ) No crash
knobs,came to rest on front edge of pipe and bottom edge of radiator guard . With my foot stuck firmly under the bike.Could see the funny side ,the road was SO off camber, what was i thinking silent Being strong stainless it took the weight o.k. and sand & polished out.
I think the 1250 would look great without a radiator but that's progress?
I paid $150 so i paid to much.I was just sitting there looking at me.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Empty Radguard radiator protection

Post  Countess Thu 06 Jan 2011, 11:18 am

I have just ordered a Beowulf radiator protector - don't know if that was the right thing to do as I am new to Bandits and water cooling.... It seemed to have smallish holes and now I'm wondering if the bike may get too hot! Anyway, I can try it and see. Anyone else had experience with this type?

Countess

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 06 Jan 2011, 5:36 pm

Got one , good . Your right mesh is a bit BIGGER ( or should that be smaller ) anyway MORE air through.Painted mine back.

Answered below by P.M.

Last edited by gus on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Countess Fri 07 Jan 2011, 11:44 am

Did you use auto spray paint?

Countess

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Sun 16 Jan 2011, 6:27 pm

Just a quick note to say that even though my last ride was at max. LEGAL speeds for about an hour in 32 degree heat up hill and down dale I had no over-heating issues with my Rad Guard - I did a close check when I fuelled for any expelled coolant. I also only noticed a brief hot blast of air once on my left leg during the ride - which I think would be expected guard or no guard.
Happy with the Guard - happier that there were NO locusts!

Back to top Go down

Post  Countess Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:48 am

I've just ridden 600 kms frm Melbourne to Merimbula with a Beowulf radiator guard. It was high 20s and no overheating either.

Countess

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaytonFirth Fri 18 Feb 2011, 11:14 pm

Countess wrote:I've just ridden 600 kms frm Melbourne to Merimbula with a Beowulf radiator guard. It was high 20s and no overheating either.

I've been debating throwing a rad guard on my '10 1250. I do a lot of commuting in slow traffic and have been concerned about the extra heat the guard would cause. I think I've read enough to convince me that the bike not going to die using one.
ClaytonFirth
ClaytonFirth

Back to top Go down

Post  dmann Wed 23 Feb 2011, 3:16 pm

Got my Radguard today for my Bandit 1250sa. Looks good, here are some pics:

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Radgua10

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Radgua11

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Radgua12
dmann
dmann

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 23 Feb 2011, 3:28 pm

They put a decent size rub pad on don’t they!

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 23 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

O.K. i'll ask ,whats the rub pad ? going to rub on .Looks like the front guard will connect with the cross bar before the Rad-guard .

That hose clamp needs to be trimmed and spun around so the screw part is on the inside. It would bight me the first time i washed it.
And the second ,third ect. Very Happy Excuse me ,i have a thing about those bloody clamps. Mad

While your at it spin the horn so the connecter are on the inside (hidden )I know i need to get a life. Wink

Dont just hate it when you have to pay $4oo to fix the washing machine .Thats a set of tyres Mad

Last edited by gus on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Brain fade)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 23 Feb 2011, 4:07 pm

gus wrote:O.K. i'll ask ,whats the rub pad ? going to rub on .Looks like the front guard will connect with the cross bar before the Rad-guard .

That hose clamp needs to be trimmed and spun around so the screw part is on the inside. It would bight me the first time i washed it.
And the second ,third ect. Very Happy Excuse me ,i have a thing about those bloody clamps. Mad

I thought the same thing Gus. (thats scary Laughing )
The hose clamps have always annoyed me but I cant find a better solution Question

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 23 Feb 2011, 4:16 pm

TRY this .Same clamp should be black though. Thats not much better now i look at it. Razz
RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 IMG_1603
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Wed 23 Feb 2011, 6:07 pm

Looks like RadGuard has gone back to the open mesh screen which looks like it would provide better airflow than the slotted design.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  Countess Sun 27 Feb 2011, 1:35 pm

The radguard looks alot thicker than the Beowulf guard. The Beowulf slots in behind the radiator side bits (whatever they're called) and they screw back over the guard. It's quite a bit thinner.

Countess

Back to top Go down

Post  dmann Sun 27 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

Countess wrote:The radguard looks alot thicker than the Beowulf guard. The Beowulf slots in behind the radiator side bits (whatever they're called) and they screw back over the guard. It's quite a bit thinner.

The frame actually sits flush with the end guards and the mesh sits behind that, roughly flush with the side tanks, bit hard to tell from the angle of the photos.
dmann
dmann

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveA1963 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

Has anybody had a problem with their Radguard vibrating? Mine buzzes like buggery between about 2,900 and 3,300rpm. Rolling Eyes

Worth getting on to Radguard about it or is there a simple "fix"?

2011 Bandit 1250SA
DaveA1963
DaveA1963

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:27 am

A few dabs of silican here and there might help .Not too much or you will never get it off .Silkaflex might be better as it has more "give". Also
cleans of with petrol .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:43 am

DaveA1963 wrote:Has anybody had a problem with their Radguard vibrating? Mine buzzes like buggery between about 2,900 and 3,300rpm. Rolling Eyes

Worth getting on to Radguard about it or is there a simple "fix"?

The Warpspeed came with 2 strips of sponge rubber that sticks top and bottom.
Head to your fav hardware store. Its like a weather seal strip.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveA1963 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:The Warpspeed came with 2 strips of sponge rubber that sticks top and bottom.

Doesn't that melt? Well, obviously not..... Embarassed

2011 Bandit 1250SA
DaveA1963
DaveA1963

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

DaveA1963 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:The Warpspeed came with 2 strips of sponge rubber that sticks top and bottom.

Doesn't that melt? Well, obviously not..... Embarassed
Not in 24k at least Laughing
I've had stickers on my radiator and washing the bike has worn them off not heat.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

RadGuard - Radiator Protection - Page 3 Empty re radguard - radiator protection

Post  paul Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

I made mine using some black SAAS universal mesh from the speed shop . I just cut it to size , put a piece of pinch-weld top & bottom , & fastened it under the two end covers . I also put a couple of zip ties top & bottom in the middle to the radiator mounting brackets just to be safe. Because it`s black you can hardly notice its there & cost bugger all to make !
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next