Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GIVi Vs Ventura racks

4 posters

Go down

GIVi Vs Ventura racks  Empty GIVi Vs Ventura racks

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:30 pm

due to a little mis adventure my bandit is on the sick list, in the process it will be needing a new rack now i have 32 litre givi top box that is going to be replaced but i am not really happy with it all the time it just a bit small to carry my camera bag and it only holds 1 helmut and if i take it off i can't use the base for any thing, but it is water proof, and secure. on the over hand the ventura rack is functional , 51 litres capacity bag, i can zip two bags together, its a bit cheaper, but not waterproof without a sock, not as secure and i can carry something on on the rack when the bags not on there

i know there a pros and cons but is the ventura a better option

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

GIVi Vs Ventura racks  Empty Re: GIVi Vs Ventura racks

Post  gus Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

Visually yes because you can remove all the bits in 4 mins .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

I've got both Givi and Ventura sets so I have checked them out against each other, I think the Givi is much classier (also a lot more expensive if you want the top of the range stuff).

One of the big cons I see with the Ventura setup is when you start getting up in size and are putting a bit of weight in the bigger Ventura/R-Jay bags, the stress it places on the rear chassis mount . With a large bag it can easily become over loaded and the area on the bike frame where it is bolted has been known to fracture. I initially thought about mounting the Givi M5 top rack to the Ventura Sports Rack, after viewing this photo I decided to use OEM mounts:

GIVi Vs Ventura racks  Broken10

The Givi setup (along with some of the others I believe) has the top mount not only bolted where the Ventura has theirs, but also has the arms come forward to the passenger footpeg mounts.

GIVi Vs Ventura racks  Top_mo10

Cost wise, I don't think there is much differencve between the Givi mounts and the Ventura. The big difference is the cost of the bags.

It is relatively easy to add after market (or Givi's own) LED stop, tail and indicator lights to the hard cases. Whilst it would be possible to do the same to the Ventura (I have never seen it done) I don't think it would offer the same result. The Givi pannier arrangment requires relocating the original rear indicators, that has been subject to many a post, many are not happy with the Givi solution, but again I think it is okay.

Security wise the Givi would be better, but I would not be leaving the family treasures in either setup overnight. It is possible to have the Givi panniers and top box keyed the same.

I personally think the Givi is easier to get the boxes on and off the bike. You are left with the frames of course, and Gus is right it would take a little longer than four minutes to remove all the metal work. I think I could strip mine down in 15 to 20 minutes now - not counting repositioning the indicators.

The Givi setup leaves the original rear hand grip, something I didn't like about the Ventura, even with the shorter Sports Rack.

BTW, I still have a Givi 52 lt top box for sale. I am also thinking of selling my Ventura racks and bags now that I have finally put all the Givi kit on the bike, I can't see me going back to the soft cases with the way I have set my rig up, i.e. touring. If it was a daily commuter, then there would be different priorities that could change my preferences.

GIVi Vs Ventura racks  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm

Have you considered SW Motec racks and adapters.
The quik lok stuff can be removed in no time when not needed to leave the bike looking like nothing is mounted to it.
Many adaptors and options for carrying stuff also

Have a look here for some ideas

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down