Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK - I'm a Newbie!

+10
Four40
grumpy60
reddog
Saikhan
Reardo
Ewok1958
Baz
2wheelsagain
Re-Cycled
Bhoffo
14 posters

Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty OK - I'm a Newbie!

Post  Bhoffo Mon 04 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Hi everyone..

I was just surfing on the 'net' this morning and came across this site - a few years ago I had tried to find something that related mainly to 'Bandit' bikes but didn't. Had been doing a little research today about a 'Regulator/rectifier'? recall on Bandit bikes and came across this - so here I am!

So a short bit of history from me... nearly 53 yrs young... sort of semi-retired after being in a job for 35 years.. keen snow skier, build and fly model aeroplanes too...Been back into riding for around 4 years now after a 'layoff' of more than 20 years. Started back with a 1996 Suzuki GSX 750F and had a great time on it, then 2 years ago bought a 2009 1250s Bandit; only had 1750ks on it when I picked it up but now up to near the 25k mark.... what a great bike! Love to get out and about on it as much as I can although the weather recently hasn't been wonderful. Living up in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney it can get pretty cold, wet and windy (which is the case today!) so that sort of puts a bit of a dampener on the enjoyment of being out - not htat I'm always a 'fair weather' rider, but certainly that's when I enjoy it more!

Had hoped to take the bike out for a 250km ride to 'Bikeworx' at Mudgee this morning for a 24k service (It's about 500km overdue) but when I rang to see if I could book it in the guy he told me that there had been a recall on the 'Regulator/Rectifier' on those bikes, so I'm now waiting for a call back to see when I can get it out there. As it's turned out, today wasn't going to be particularly pleasant - so I don't mind waiting another day or two..

Done a few minor 'mods' to the bike - put some 'Oxford' heated handgrips on, an 'Acumen' gear selector light, a 'Danmoto' Carbon GP style exhaust and use a couple of 'AirHawk' seat cushions for my tooshie (and that of my girlfriends as she loves to pillion as much as possible too). Have Michelin 'Pilot Road' tyres on for the last 20000 km - really surprised at their longevity but now due for a change, pretty sure I'll be putting some of the new "Pilot Road 3's" on ASAP - found a guy that will supply and fit for $595 (a good price I think?) - the PR 3's are meat to last better than their predessors too - so that's a plus! Smile

Back to top Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty Welcome

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

Hey welcome, we have plenty of members out your way.

Upcoming ride: https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t1243-time-to-plan-the-next-overnight-ride-29-30-oct-at-neville

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty Re: OK - I'm a Newbie!

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

G'day and welcome.
I got 16,000 out of my PR2's and had the choice to go with the 3's but for me they are still a bit "unknown". The 2's were cheaper so I went with them again. You're either very gentle or very light but good on you for stretching them that far.

The price you were quoted is not spectacular but an honest price for a shop with rent and wages to pay and all the overheads. $550 was the going price here for a pair of 3's 6 weeks ago.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

hello and welcome. hopefully we will see you on a ride soon.
I have a PR2 on front and a PR3 on rear and they have stuck to the road so far.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

Welcome aboard. I'm on PR2s as well (its pretty common around here but not unanimous). They currently have done 9,000 kms and I'm expecting 18,000.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 04 Jul 2011, 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Mon 04 Jul 2011, 6:47 pm

Welcome. Smile
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Welcome... God knows how you guys manage to get such high mileage out of tyres. My PR2 lasted 9000kms and it was toast. Maybe the roads in WA are made of more abrasive material, or my right wrist is a bit heavier than the rest of you lot.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

reddog wrote:Welcome... God knows how you guys manage to get such high mileage out of tyres. My PR2 lasted 9000kms and it was toast. Maybe the roads in WA are made of more abrasive material, or my right wrist is a bit heavier than the rest of you lot.

I think your roads are a bit harder. Tas roads are often said to be murder on tyres
Very Happy

I was really surprised at how fast they wore in the last 2 - 3,000km. They were looking good at 12,000.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the 'welcomes' - my tyres seem to have gone in a bit of a hurry during the last 2000 km...

Didn't think I was really treating them over gently, but most of my riding is on the open roads out west of Katoomba so maybe that has something to do with it... (not much 'stop - start' riding).. Unfortunately I'm not a light weight now either... around 100kg + my girlfriend on the back - (add another 70kg so).. anyway, if the PR 3's give me as much or better wear than these ones I'll be very happy. (The original tyres on the bike were Dunlops which only lasted 5000km so definitely won't be getting another set of those!)

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for a ride that I'm able to join in on... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

hi and welcome.....got PR3s about 3000k ago and happy with them........you will enjoy this mob..BUT.. they are MAD........quite MAD....................................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Welcome. Cool
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty Re:OK-I`m a Newbie

Post  bruiser2310 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:00 am

welcom bhoffo,
i`m in the blue mountains too in hazelbrook
where are you? have to get together for a beer sometime
greg
bruiser2310
bruiser2310

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:21 am

bruiser2310 wrote:
i`m in the blue mountains too in hazelbrook
where are you? have to get together for a beer sometime

Hi Greg,

I'm up in Katoomba - so yes - very close by (used to live there myself up the end of Luchetti ave) - and yes - a beer and a ride sounds good!

Last edited by Bhoffo on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

welcome buddy. im at penrith. so we should all get out for a ride some time soon me thinks

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

Welcome,
You will learn a lot about your bike here, plenty of cluey people with plenty of ideas for mods etc. My sister in-law is at Mudgee, driven there a lot but never ridden. Would make a good ride from the Gong. Is that where you bought it from?

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

Sounds great... like to wait for this wind to disappear thought... hit 140km/h at my place last night.. it's a wonder I still have tiles on the roof! Shocked

Back to top Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty New Tyres..

Post  Bhoffo Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

Back to the tyres...
I'd seen somewhere else on this site information about "Jake Wilson" tyres in the US. I did a quote on his site and sure enough, with freight charges the cost of two PR 3 tyres delivered to my door was just under $400. An excellent price..

But then I'd have to get them put on and I'd guess from what I've seen that could be anything between $0 and $35 per tyre... go to the most expensive and the cost is now about $465...

I bought my current pair of PR's from a guy that sells a small variety of m/c gear, tyres (and fits them) quite cheaply... he and a business partner do this as a sort of a 'side-line' to their normal jobs.. (all very legal!) So I thought I'd give him a ring and see what price they would do it for... the answer was $475 fitted for a pair of PR3's! Laughing

So, taking all this into consideration I think for me it's just better - (and safer) - to get the tyres from these guys.. I know then that they are going to fit and it's all done in front of me. If I have a problem I have someone I can speak to easily. Just waiting for the weather to clear so I can get down to either Ingleburn or Rydalmere to have them fitted...

So if anyone else is interested.. these are the contact details.."Whites Racing Products" Ph: Craig (Ingleburn) on: 0413461353 or Michael (Rydalmere) on: 0412627742.. If you wouldn't mind.. please tell them that 'Bruce Hoffmann' gave you their details.. bounce

Back to top Go down

OK - I'm a Newbie! Empty NEW TYRES

Post  bruiser2310 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

well bruce,
talk about a small world.michael is my tyre contact too
he is the 1 who does most of the fitting
he called into my work today at penrith to say hi with his 3 kids
i used to live across the road from him at rydalmere.very nice family
good bloke,says like it is.knows his shit
greg
bruiser2310
bruiser2310

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

I got my first set of PR's from Craig at the Ingleburn 'shop'.. was thinking this time of going to Rydalmere just because it was going to be easier to get to.. They 'do' seem to know what they're on about; sell to guys that are racing etc so can't afford not to..
As you say... "A small world"

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:03 am

Greetings from Lithgow-there's some knowledgeable people here, and then there's me. Very Happy

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down