Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cold weather

+6
step_andy
Mpottsy
gus
2wheelsagain
Ewok1958
grumpy60
10 posters

Go down

cold weather Empty cold weather

Post  grumpy60 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

hey Gus...hows the global warming up there today lol! ......................lowest maximum temp for 100 years I heard.....................Grumpy

Back to top Go down

cold weather Empty Re: cold weather

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Global warming grumps? - not according to this bloke:

cold weather Image115

Neutral Neutral
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

It’s an indisputable fact that ocean temps have risen sharply over the last 100 years. Polar ice is melting faster and faster every year. And a lot more evidence that I can’t be bothered to list.
As humans we look at the world through a couple of generations worth of experience and sure if you looked for oxidisation on your bike frame every day you wouldn’t see anything but look at it after 20 years and you will see a change. (simplistic I know but …….)

What can be disputed is how long we have got to do something about it. What do we do about it (a tax never fixed anything) and how much influence us humans have on the warming cycle as opposed to the natural cycle (ask the dinosaurs).

Global warming is here.

Discuss ……………..

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

No wind, so no wind chill ,but COLD .It gets dark at 5.15 by 3 i'm useing the axe for what it was designed ,wood ,not stainless steel.
Black paint will not dry ,enough said. Mad

Earth gets Hot earth gets Cold .How much effect we have on it ,well were not helping .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

Having to fit Oxford heated grips and bark buster guards to my bike when I live in Australia ...

Friends back in the Uk keep laughing at me because of this. Global warming I tell them enough said.....

A tax will not solve the problem only make things more expensive than they already are. If you tax a resource or point or sale all that happens is the price increases to offset that additional cost. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional which is why most people enter politics they have no clue as to the issues faced by the general public and have no moral compass.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

been cold wet and windy on the south coast for about a week now... bloody cold wet and windy..........BRING ON GLOBAL WARMING I say ....the sooner the better........added advantage..global warming causes pack ice to melt..which causes sea levels to rise..which in time will give me EXPENSIVE WATERFRONT PROPERTY Very Happy ....YEA !........................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:

Global warming is here.

Discuss ……………..
Let's tax volcanoes.

We ditched 2nd car. The one that we have is diesel.
I have built a house with large eves, insulation in all walls, roof and insulated floor. Windows are laminated and tinted. I have made sure that we have 3 phase power for ducted reverse AC. I have installed tons of fluros, LED's and fans. I have heat pump style water heater. I have installed rain water tank and water saving shower heads, toilets. Our three boys wash in the same bath water to save water and heating. We shower for 2 min or less. Recently I received a letter advising that bulk water cost is increasing 17.6% and will go up for next 7 years.
I have ditched clothes dryer and use 5 star appliances (dishwasher, front loader, fridge). We don't have natural gas in our area, so, my cook top is halogen electric, but most of our cooking is on gas fired bbq. I have ditched all desktop computers and use laptops. I have ditched CRT with many add ons (eg HD top box, PVR) and got low power TV with all bits and pieces in built.
We opt to buy "green" power.
I installed solar power system and power company pulled all discounts. Our power company has increased prices as we aren't using enough power and they need to maintain certain level of profitability. Alternative power companies are refusing to deal with us as we have solar. In last round of price increases, tariff went up but feed in rebate remained unchanged.
Overall, power costs me more now compared to pre solar.
I use reusable shopping bags. We recicle most of our waste. We have a compost bin. We try to grow our own veggies. We plant only drought tolerant plants.
Now government wants to introduce carbon tax. I will pay more for everything. I will have less disposable income (I earn above average income, so no "compensation" for me). I will be forced to buy cheaper and less energy efficient products.
Fantastic.

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

step_andy wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Global warming is here.

Discuss ……………..
Let's tax volcanoes.

We ditched 2nd car. The one that we have is diesel.
I have built a house with large eves, insulation in all walls, roof and insulated floor. Windows are laminated and tinted. I have made sure that we have 3 phase power for ducted reverse AC. I have installed tons of fluros, LED's and fans. I have heat pump style water heater. I have installed rain water tank and water saving shower heads, toilets. Our three boys wash in the same bath water to save water and heating. We shower for 2 min or less. Recently I received a letter advising that bulk water cost is increasing 17.6% and will go up for next 7 years.
I have ditched clothes dryer and use 5 star appliances (dishwasher, front loader, fridge). We don't have natural gas in our area, so, my cook top is halogen electric, but most of our cooking is on gas fired bbq. I have ditched all desktop computers and use laptops. I have ditched CRT with many add ons (eg HD top box, PVR) and got low power TV with all bits and pieces in built.
We opt to buy "green" power.
I installed solar power system and power company pulled all discounts. Our power company has increased prices as we aren't using enough power and they need to maintain certain level of profitability. Alternative power companies are refusing to deal with us as we have solar. In last round of price increases, tariff went up but feed in rebate remained unchanged.
Overall, power costs me more now compared to pre solar.
I use reusable shopping bags. We recicle most of our waste. We have a compost bin. We try to grow our own veggies. We plant only drought tolerant plants.
Now government wants to introduce carbon tax. I will pay more for everything. I will have less disposable income (I earn above average income, so no "compensation" for me). I will be forced to buy cheaper and less energy efficient products.
Fantastic.

Anything else you want to whinge about??
You're a Queenslander aren't you?? Want to discuss why the rest of Australia has to pay for your State Government's incompetence, viz a vis the levy for the "national disater" in Queensland (caused by incompetence and penny pinching across the board by your State Gvernment and the authrority managing the Wivenhoe Dam)????

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

Gee,harsh .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

How is it harsh, Gus?
The Qld government tried shaving some costs (which keeps state taxes in Qld down and makes it better for Qld taxpayers) and they got caught out. But rather than the Qld government seeking the billions, and raising the state taxes to pay for it, the rest of Australia gets that privilege.
And this person then tells us how disadvantaged they are going to be with a Carbon Tax – which is about trying to reduce large scale pollution of the atmosphere. A tax that seeks to directly address (in some small way) the impacts of global warming, the very issue affecting the altering weather patterns that are affecting our continent (including Qld).
Well fuck me but that’s enough to make me cranky.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

I argue with no one with an avatar of Rabid Canine. Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

gus wrote:I argue with no one with an avatar of Rabid Canine. Razz

LOL.
Lighten the mood with some levity why doncha!! Very Happy

Look after I whacked blokes I quite often ended up on good terms with 'em..........but getting too old for that shit now.........

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

Rabid_Canine wrote:

Anything else you want to whinge about??
You're a Queenslander aren't you?? Want to discuss why the rest of Australia has to pay for your State Government's incompetence, viz a vis the levy for the "national disater" in Queensland (caused by incompetence and penny pinching across the board by your State Gvernment and the authrority managing the Wivenhoe Dam)????
And I don't vote Labour ...
I didn't build / buy my house in flood prone area, but I do buy good insurance.
Yes, Flood levy was shoved down my throat too (by Labour).

Also, speaking of Government's incompetence ...
Electricity privatised (by Labour) with a promise of greater competition resulting in spiralling prices.
Water management taken away from Councils and given to Utility bodies (by Labour) resulting into white elephant projects, huge executive salaries and spiralling water prices.

Now I am looking forward to a carbon tax (by Labour).

Did I mention that I am not voting for Labour?

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:54 pm

to be honest with you i cant even pretend to understand any of it - i dont even know what they mean by a tonne of carbon! although if it means an amount of carbon gas that weighs a tonne that would seem to be a massive amount in volume - and let's face it - if you look at a photo of earth from space it looks [a] very lonely and [b] very thin in the atmosphere department

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:17 pm

Got my last power bill - I went solar over a year ago but only a 1kWh system - and it was $146 and cited 0.14 tonnes or carbon used to produce that power. At $20/tonne it's gonna cost me the princely sum of $2.80.
I think I can deal with that....

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:18 am

Rabid_Canine wrote:Got my last power bill - I went solar over a year ago but only a 1kWh system - and it was $146 and cited 0.14 tonnes or carbon used to produce that power. At $20/tonne it's gonna cost me the princely sum of $2.80.
I think I can deal with that....
The trouble is, that government will create a some sort of carbon department which will employ several hundred of people to administer this tax who will be calculating amount of carbon emitted by the companies and sending out the bills. So, more bureaucracy, red tape and cost to the taxpayer. Some of the collected cash will be given to the pensioners and people with below average income. Most likely will not change their behaviour and energy usage (as according to government they will be better off).
Business will look to recover the costs via higher prices (so, cost neutral to them).

My question is, who is then paying this tax?

All in all, looks to me as income redistribution scheme which will do squat to global climate change.
If I recall correctly, Australia contributes 0.1% to global carbon footprint.

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

Is 'global warming' real? Yes.

Are we (humans) responsible? Not totally no. The earth warms and cools in cycles. We are in a warming cycle.

Did humans survive the last cooling and warming cycles? Yes.

Is anything we do in Australia, in isolation to the rest of the developed and developing countries, going to make a difference? I wouldn't think so.

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

from Telegraph on 15 6 11.........does the right hcold weather Hotdayand know what the left hand is doing.........Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Freeway Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

And actually management of the Wivenhoe dam while less than ideal wasn't the cause of the problem, most of the water came from the other direction (Toowoomba, Lockyer Valley) which no-one saw coming. I've been to Toowoomba, it's up a great big hill, no way could it flood up there!! Could it?

Freeway

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

Not a hill ,a mountain !
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down