moving to melbourne?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 6:56 pm

very quick question.
im considering moving to melbourne due to the poor economic happenings here in qld.
I have visted melb a few times but im keen to hear from anyone who lives there now as to does it suck there anywhere near as much as it does here in brisbane?

im feeling a bit negative but I reckon I c9uld open up my brake bleed nipples and brisbane would justpull the old fluid right out.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Bosco15 on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 8:38 pm

I love to visit Melbourne. I spent time in the area when in the Navy. It is my favorite big city. Very cosmopolitan. More "friendly" people than Sydney. Awesome public transport compared to Syd.
I can't tell you anything about living there, currently, but have you considered Australia's biggest non capital city? Newcastle.
Comparatively cheap real estate. Reasonable employment opportunities, depending upon your qualifications. Far better climate than Melbourne.
Just tossing ideas out there. 8-)

_________________
Some people are like slinkys. Not good for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
avatar
Bosco15

Posts : 1355
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 47
Location : Newcastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  madmax on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm

Far better climate! Haha that's funny considering the storm that hit the qld and nsw coast last week. 
Yep it rain here too but nothing like you guys got.
Apparently there's another one coming.

Thing is with Melbourne weather we generally get less rain than Sydney but spread out over more days. Yes it could rain here on any day of the year.

Ironman if you come to Melbourne your going to find it significantly colder than Queensland. Particularly during winter.
Can't comment on the job scene, it's been a long time since I needed to look there.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 6:20 pm

im headed there soon. looking forward to riding PI.
I believe the cafe racer scene is big there?

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  reddog on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm

Times are tough in a lot of places. I've been lucky where I am, I'd hate to have to move to the city. I like philllip island, but I love the country way too much.
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 5:44 am

Ultimately i have to move to where work is.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Bosco15 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 6:40 am

What work are you experienced in/ qualified to do?

_________________
Some people are like slinkys. Not good for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
avatar
Bosco15

Posts : 1355
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 47
Location : Newcastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Bosco15 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 6:45 am

If you have six years left in you,  the Navy will take you.  
You'll get to move to Crib Point, 70km south of Melbourne.  
I'm not being funny.  Great career. Travel the world, meet new and interesting people, then sleep with them.

_________________
Some people are like slinkys. Not good for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
avatar
Bosco15

Posts : 1355
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 47
Location : Newcastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  BanditDave on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

@Bosco15 wrote:If you have six years left in you,  the Navy will take you.  
You'll get to move to Crib Point, 70km south of Melbourne.  
I'm not being funny.  Great career. Travel the world, meet new and interesting people, then sleep with them.


I worked for the Navy as a civilian in Canberra many, many years ago.

There were a number of graffiti artists around at the time. I remember two examples.

1. Join the Navy and feel a man.

2. Join the Navy and never leave your mate's behind.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 691
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 66
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  madmax on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 5:16 pm

@BanditDave wrote:
@Bosco15 wrote:If you have six years left in you,  the Navy will take you.  
You'll get to move to Crib Point, 70km south of Melbourne.  
I'm not being funny.  Great career. Travel the world, meet new and interesting people, then sleep with them.


I worked for the Navy as a civilian in Canberra many, many years ago.

There were a number of graffiti artists around at the time. I remember two examples.

1. Join the Navy and feel a man.

2. Join the Navy and never leave your mate's behind.

Now Dave you know that's all bullshit!

Just don't go looking for the golden rivet

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

been there and done that but I wore green.
im going to retrain but in order to do that I need a part time job that allows some flexability with hours.
its difficult when you are in your 40s and have bills and other monetary responsibilities.

ive investigated tamworth and love the homes there but employment is limited.
melbourne I feel gives everything I could want but hope the jobs are there.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  reddog on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:23 pm

Sounds like you need to find the job prior to moving. We've just had a guy move from Brisbane to work with us 200kms south of Perth. He was a network engineer though, so yeah what experience do you have mate?
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

COLD!

Post  Chalkie on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:22 pm

Hey Ironman,

Temp here in Melbourne was a top of 10 degrees. I love visiting Qld in winter for warmth - hope you've got thermals but I think work is around for those who want it. I'm 69 and still working two jobs.
avatar
Chalkie

Posts : 250
Join date : 2015-12-05
Age : 70
Location : Bayswater, Vic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  SuzySuzuki on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm

Property prices are unbelievable, traffic is horrendous, parking fees frikkin ridiculous, shitty weather, why on EARTH would anyone willingly move there??
Every time I go there I want to kill morons who don't follow simple road rules and courtesy on the roads, so there's no way I'd even ride Suzy there.
That's my rant. Good luck .

_________________
08 Bandit 1250S
Radguard
seat cowl
Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[img]http://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Posts : 550
Join date : 2012-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  madmax on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:37 pm

@SuzySuzuki wrote:Property prices are unbelievable, traffic is horrendous, parking fees frikkin ridiculous, shitty weather, why on EARTH would anyone willingly move there??
Every time I go there I want to kill morons who don't follow simple road rules and courtesy on the roads, so there's no way I'd even ride Suzy there.
That's my rant. Good luck .

Oh come on it's not that bad!

Glorious weather (well better than some)
Jobs aplenty (well I don't know about the rest of you but I've got one)
Parking is free if you park your bike on the footpath (try doing that in any other state)
And the traffic and morons just adds to the challenge (no worse than any other capital city, that excludes Swan Hill 'cause its not a capital Razz )

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Chook on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 6:53 am

@madmax wrote:And the traffic and morons just adds to the challenge (no worse than any other capital city, that excludes Swan Hill 'cause its not a capital  Razz )
You're clutching at straws with that madmax
I'll admit Adelaide has more than it's fair share of the moron drivers but as for traffic, we complain about a traffic jam if we have to wait for more than 2 changes of lights, Melbourne (and Brisbane) think it's normal to be standing still on a motorway 5km from it's end (In Swan Hill it's a jam if you're stuck 2 cars back from a giveway sign for more than 20 seconds Wink )
avatar
Chook

Posts : 2890
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 52
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  madmax on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:55 am

@Chook wrote:
@madmax wrote:And the traffic and morons just adds to the challenge (no worse than any other capital city, that excludes Swan Hill 'cause its not a capital  Razz )
You're clutching at straws with that madmax
I'll admit Adelaide has more than it's fair share of the moron drivers but as for traffic, we complain about a traffic jam if we have to wait for more than 2 changes of lights, Melbourne (and Brisbane) think it's normal to be standing still on a motorway 5km from it's end (In Swan Hill it's a jam if you're stuck 2 cars back from a giveway sign for more than 20 seconds Wink )

Never been stuck in a traffic jam in Melbourne that bad but have been stuck on Portrush rd?

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 4:03 pm

How does the rego system work in melbourne? In qld its based on the number of cylinders you have or on bikes the number of seating positions you have. More cyl or seats on the bike means more $.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Chook on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm

@Ironman wrote:How does the rego system work in melbourne? In qld its based on the number of cylinders you have or on bikes the number of seating positions you have. More cyl or seats on the bike means more $.

QLD is the only state that gives you a reduction for less seats
avatar
Chook

Posts : 2890
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 52
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 5:27 pm

Its the ctp insurance that lowers.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Chook on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm

Similar to SA by the look of it, based on capacity

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/motorcycle-fees

avatar
Chook

Posts : 2890
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 52
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  madmax on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 7:39 pm

@Chook wrote:Similar to SA by the look of it, based on capacity

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/motorcycle-fees


Yep, its a bloody rip off, but at least you don't need to worry about yearly inspections and separate CTP insurance

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Brigand on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:13 pm

I didn't see anything about what type of work you are after but I live in Albury/Wodonga and there seems to be a fair bit of work and industry is expanding.
Winter is cold and summer bloody hot but the riding is unbelievable!!
avatar
Brigand

Posts : 38
Join date : 2015-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Ironman on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

Im after truck driving jobs. HR license. Theres work there. Its now the logistics of how to get there get a roof over my head and a job. Everything else will follow in a natural due course.

_________________
2012 DL1000 
2007 GSF1200S 
2004 GSF1200S
avatar
Ironman

Posts : 602
Join date : 2010-10-09
Location : ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Chalkie on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 7:13 pm

Now that you're in Melbourne with all our rain, perhaps you should change your handle from Ironman to Rusty. Razz Very Happy How has the shift gone for you? Hopefully settled in and found work - All the best!
avatar
Chalkie

Posts : 250
Join date : 2015-12-05
Age : 70
Location : Bayswater, Vic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: moving to melbourne?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum