Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting rid of front plastic frame covers

4 posters

Go down

Getting rid of front plastic frame covers Empty Getting rid of front plastic frame covers

Post  Meatbix Mon 19 Apr 2021, 3:39 pm

I’ve noticed on a lot of customised naked Bandits that owners have removed the triangular plastic shroud over the front piece of the frame. I like the way this looks, I think it improves the bikes lines and gives it a leaner appearance. however there’s a fair bit of unsightly wiring in the area that needs to be concealed/tidied up. I’ve noticed some bikes where owners seem to have filled the area with a section of expanding mesh or something similar. Has anyone here done that to good effect? I was thinking it would particularly neat if I fitted a mesh radiator guard then filled those sections with matching mesh. Thoughts?
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of front plastic frame covers Empty Re: Getting rid of front plastic frame covers

Post  GSX1100G Mon 19 Apr 2021, 6:13 pm

matching mesh 🤔🤔
just drill holes in it ! 😯🤣🤣
just joking. If you want it, do it.
On 1 of my G's, the PO had a stainless fetish - all stainless bolts, oil cooler guard and seperate side plates on cooler and riveted stainless mesh over similar plastic bits that you are thinking of.

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of front plastic frame covers Empty Re: Getting rid of front plastic frame covers

Post  Meatbix Mon 19 Apr 2021, 8:34 pm

I replaced a lot of my hardware on my last bike with stainless bolts, I do think it looks smart. But I reckon mesh would look better in the triangle bits. Radguard sell sheets of the same mesh they make their radiator guards out of so that’d be an easy way to get the matching set I figure.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 20 Apr 2021, 7:34 am

I think i made alloy ones but a lot smaller ,so the fitted inside the tubes with a even gap going around . Mesh would need to go inside the frame so you dont see the jagged edge . Its actually the plastic that looks cheap .
gus
gus

Meatbix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Tue 20 Apr 2021, 2:47 pm

Yeah I agree re the edges on mesh, my plan with it will be to bend the edges 90 degrees inwards which should look a lot tidier. I also figure I can then attach mounting brackets to that concealed edge that can be attacked to the stock mounting holes for the plastics, avoiding having the empty mounting points exposed.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:31 pm

Now i remember ,i made a alloy insert , cut out the centre  (so it was a frame ) and put mess behind it .Took a little time ,but i like playing with alloy. Mesh behind the frame would be easier . Most mesh has two ways you can use it ,angled up ,or down , down works best   .
gus
gus

Meatbix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Wed 21 Apr 2021, 8:04 pm

Good tips, cheers mate. If I end up getting the radiator guard plus the mesh I’ll just orient the mesh to match the guard.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Mon 20 Sep 2021, 5:56 pm

Fitted the Radguard a little while back and bought the mesh but still haven’t got round to making the new covers, haha. I’ll get there eventually.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 21 Sep 2021, 2:22 pm

Meatbix wrote:Good tips, cheers mate. If I end up getting the radiator guard plus the mesh I’ll just orient the mesh to match the guard.
But enough mesh to make both, my home made mesh rad guard is 65,300 km and nearly 10 years old, cost next to bugger all, it's mentioned on a rad guard thread from way back
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Tue 21 Sep 2021, 3:20 pm

Chook wrote:
Meatbix wrote:Good tips, cheers mate. If I end up getting the radiator guard plus the mesh I’ll just orient the mesh to match the guard.
But enough mesh to make both, my home made mesh rad guard is 65,300 km and nearly 10 years old, cost next to bugger all, it's mentioned on a rad guard thread from way back
Ah, too late, already bought the guard and extra mesh. It wasn’t too exxy though and it’s a nice bit of kit, fits perfectly. 

Anyone else mounted front indicators to their radiator? I made a couple of little aluminium brackets and riveted them to the stock outer guards next mounted some tiny LED indicators to them, looks nice and clean and is fully ADR compliant.

Getting rid of front plastic frame covers Ac373710
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down