Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test ride 2011 FZ1S

4 posters

Go down

Test ride 2011 FZ1S  Empty Test ride 2011 FZ1S

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 20 Dec 2018, 11:45 pm

I rode one of these when they first went to fuel injection, back in about 2006. This 2011 today, had 38000k's on it.

I'd forgotten certain things about it,  but was reminded of things I didn't like about it. 
The things I didn't like, and still annoys me with the bike, is the fuelling, as it's so snatchy down low, and the lack of torque from the engine. Soon as I got back on my 1200, it just felt so much easier and responsive to ride, engine wise.

The plus with the bike is the chassis, suspension, and brakes.
If I could put my 1200 into that bike, I think I'd have the perfect bike. 

It's a shame Suzuki never followed the FZ1 in terms of ride ability with the Bandit. The Bandit could have been such a fantastic bike if they'd addressed the suspension out of the box.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Test ride 2011 FZ1S  Empty Re: Test ride 2011 FZ1S

Post  V17R Sun 23 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

agree 100%, its a real shame they didn't put any effort into updating the Bandit
I'm actually thinking of selling my 1250 for something a bit more modern mainly to get something lighter with better suspension.
The problem is I have no idea what to replace it with

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 23 Dec 2018, 10:15 pm

Could question. If I was sticking with a sports-tourer (or similar styling, ie not an adventure-tourer), I'd go for the Kawasaki Z900C (the retro one). 

But if I had an unlimited budget and assuming I could get my 6' 2" frame on it, I'd go for an Aprilia Tuono V4 1100, probably even the full factory (well, I'll need to win lotto for that).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:33 am

The Tuono for me,  would be my, "Piece to Resistance" ,
If money was no object, as a toy  in a collection of bikes though. It wouldn't be the do all bike I don't  think.  [size=48]I don't think I'd want to ride around Aus on one. [/size]
[size=48]This is where something like the FZ1, with a Bandit engine would almost be the perfect bike. It's comfortable, it handles and brakes, you can adjust the suspension. Then add a Bandit engine for torque, economy, and reliability. [/size]
[size=48]The big gripe I've got with new bikes is, electronics, I hate them.  I don't want to be forced to have them, for that one bike that does it all,  as just about all new bikes are going down that path.[/size]
[size=48]Yep, I'm still living in the past. If I had my way I'd have carbies forever. I fairly well know them inside and out now on the Bandits. The 1200 is a basic bike with basic problems, that can easily be trouble shooted if a problem does arise.  Don't need a computer to check a problem. Servicing can easily be done by yourself. [/size]
[size=48]No fuel pump to fail, doesn't suffer from radiator problems. No engine management systems to go wrong.[/size]
[size=48]A cold morning splutter is the only thing I suffer from. [/size]
[size=48]I still easily get 20kms to the litre on a run...more if I try but don't care. The worst would be mid 17's if I'm caning the crap out of it, fully loaded.[/size]

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:05 pm

My gen 1 FZS is still missed. Had it along with the 1250 and only sold it because a mate made an offer. It was what the Bandit should have been although at a price premium.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 24 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:My gen 1 FZS is still missed. Had it along with the 1250 and only sold it because a mate made an offer. It was what the Bandit should have been although at a price premium.

I've been looking at the Gen1's as well. 
A good one is still holding value, and hard to find a good low K one at that. 
I've only ever ridden one,  back in about 2005. But I still remember how better planted it was through corners.
From what I remember it was a more plush feeling in the ride.....lets face it, far better suspension.
I know that model used to get decent economy as well. 
The Gen2's from what I've read, only get about 15-16 kms to the litre. That's not good.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 25 Dec 2018, 12:48 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:My gen 1 FZS is still missed. Had it along with the 1250 and only sold it because a mate made an offer. It was what the Bandit should have been although at a price premium.

I've been looking at the Gen1's as well. 
A good one is still holding value, and hard to find a good low K one at that. 
I've only ever ridden one,  back in about 2005. But I still remember how better planted it was through corners.
From what I remember it was a more plush feeling in the ride.....lets face it, far better suspension.
I know that model used to get decent economy as well. 
The Gen2's from what I've read, only get about 15-16 kms to the litre. That's not good.
I toyed with the idea of trading mine on a gen 2. Test rode one and couldn’t return it quick enough. Mainly for the wallowing suspension but also the lack of power down low. Since then the frames have cracked on a heap so I might have dodged a bullet. Mine had an Ivan’s jet kit and made about 135hp but returned the same economy as the Bandit. Far better chassis, better brakes, better engine if you’re not after low down grunt, better seat and far better paint and finish for about $2500 over the B1250. Most would have paid that. The B1250 engine was better in traffic and luggage attachments were better. I could have bought the FZ1 back after 4 yrs but by then it had a big ding in the tank. I’m sure there’s a few posts on here about mine. To this day I’d highly recommend one for $4k

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Fri 28 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

I do like the new z900 cafe but lack of luggage options means its a no go for me
I don't mind modern electronics, next bike I want ABS but looks like the FZ1 doesn't get that from what I've seen

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum