Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

+16
Ironman
madmax
paul
reddog
jaba01
Daffy
2wheelsagain
Jimcoleman
NZspokes
mtbeerwah
F
gus
truck
dhula
Baz
barry_mcki
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Empty Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:05 pm

Due to the amount of friends on this forum who now own different model / brand , or type of motorcycles and who still frequent this site ,this is somewhere to post your stuff . I am sure we would all enjoy & even benefit  from hearing your tales . 
General banter & ribbing is to be expected ......................respect for other peoples choices is a must .
If this thread works , perhaps it can be made a sticky .............or separate title . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Empty Re: Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  Ironman Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

Ill chime in...
I have migrated to a Vstrom 1000 2012 model. Still have 2 B12's.
Mods currently are...
-1 tooth countershaft sprocket (geared too tall for my liking from stock)
speedo healer
Top box
big ass adjustable screen
cruise control
rad guards - (real ones)
Givi top box and tank bag system
Michelin Anakee III tyres
I run HPR GAS 10 in it with an upper cylinder lube mix in the fuel.

Gotta say I love it. Great for 2 up riding. Purely on road riding.

Adding USB power outlet
fuel controller
ATRE + gear indicator
K&N air filter (these bikes seem to have a fetish for bugs and lots of shit in their air cleaners)
High level brake light
volt meter
and currently researching for an altimiter / temp / humidity device ... basically a portable weather station on my tank.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Empty Re: Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm

I would imagine the seating position would be good for commuting as well .What are they like on the open road in strong cross winds ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:50 pm

I cannot fault it really. My height (6ft 4ins) and my screen is perfect for it. It's like riding close behind a truck - no real buffeting.
The handguards stop my hands from freezing in the wind chill plus I have the Dririder Nordic gloves and foam grip covers to stop my hands from buzzing.

It's a big bike to behold in the flesh. Like an armchair to ride. Comfy and if you are not in a hurry and like to enjoy the ride and whats around you its great.
I guess since Ive successfully made it alive past 40 years of age the need to demonstrate to other road users what sort of rider I think I am has vanished, its a good bike.

I doubt it will suit everyone but i like it lots. So much so Ive started a process of saving $ for the new model which has all sorts of things like ABS, trac control and stability control. But my model doesn't have that so I have to rely on the organic version of ABS, trac control and stability control.... Me.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:55 pm

Strong cross winds will move anything around.

I made the decision to go the Vstrom because riding 2 up on my B1250 I had even with lowered pegs for my pillion, seats, back rests, screens, raised bars, mirror extenders and all that sort of stuff still resulted in both of us needing morphine injections after a days ride.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

Yep , Sue found the 1250 more cramped than the 1200 I had before ..............but preferred the Diversion  had before that for comfort .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 05 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm

Well. ..I'll give an opinion on my DRZ400e. I have in the past commented on this bike on this site,  but will give an overall view. 
I absolutely love this bike.  I think it's the perfect town commuter.
The only upgrades i've done,  put road tyres on it,  put road going gearing on it, and a 14L fuel tank, which i fill up at reserve, at 330km's
I've put 20 000kms on it, and it doesn't miss a beat. It starts absolutely instantly, in all weather conditions,  which is pretty rare for a carbed bike.
It's so light, and flickable, seating position is very upright,  with a straight back. Being a trail bike,  it has extremely  plush suspension,  and sokes up the worst of Australian roads. Allot of people do criticize the seat,  but I've been on it for hours without too much drama.
The brakes could be allot better, but i can live with them. 
Won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you have short legs. What more do you need in a city? ??
I can pick up the rear end of the bike,  and move it if i have to.
I wouldn't do extended hi-way on it,  as it's not designed for that.
It still has a very quick take off if needed. 
At 138kg wet weight,  i don't need  or want,  a 230-240kg, 140 odd RWHP bike around town. ....that doesn't make sense to me! !!!

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Wed 05 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I had a DRZ400e. Agree on everything you said... but that seat was like a log splitting tool on a long ride.  Razz Laughing

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 05 Jul 2017, 10:15 pm

Great idea for a thread. Thanks.
You probably all know I've got a brilliant VFR1200F in the garage. You don't know it attracts police from far and wide. Frigging B1250 never did Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles 3407108393

I've also got a MV Brutale 800 triple as well. I love riding this. Such flickable fun. Not fast in the true sense and probably in the wrong environment for me. Would be a great city commuter or instant twisty rocket. Neither of them are close for me. Everyone should have a little Italian under them at some stage Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles 959052286

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Great idea for a thread. Thanks.
You probably all know I've got a brilliant VFR1200F in the garage. You don't know it attracts police from far and wide. Frigging B1250 never did Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles 3407108393

I've also got a MV Brutale 800 triple as well. I love riding this. Such flickable fun. Not fast in the true sense and probably in the wrong environment for me. Would be a great city commuter or instant twisty rocket. Neither of them are close for me. Everyone should have a little Italian under them at some stage Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles 959052286
Is the MV expensive to service ?.....They look like they would be a hoot to ride .( the closest to having a little Italian under me is when I accidentally sat on some pizza  Laughing )

Last edited by paul on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:Well. ..I'll give an opinion on my DRZ400e. I have in the past commented on this bike on this site,  but will give an overall view. 
I absolutely love this bike.  I think it's the perfect town commuter.
The only upgrades i've done,  put road tyres on it,  put road going gearing on it, and a 14L fuel tank, which i fill up at reserve, at 330km's
I've put 20 000kms on it, and it doesn't miss a beat. It starts absolutely instantly, in all weather conditions,  which is pretty rare for a carbed bike.
It's so light, and flickable, seating position is very upright,  with a straight back. Being a trail bike,  it has extremely  plush suspension,  and sokes up the worst of Australian roads. Allot of people do criticize the seat,  but I've been on it for hours without too much drama.
The brakes could be allot better, but i can live with them. 
Won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you have short legs. What more do you need in a city? ??
I can pick up the rear end of the bike,  and move it if i have to.
I wouldn't do extended hi-way on it,  as it's not designed for that.
It still has a very quick take off if needed. 
At 138kg wet weight,  i don't need  or want,  a 230-240kg, 140 odd RWHP bike around town. ....that doesn't make sense to me! !!!
A 400 makes sense for city commuting  & the seating position of the drz would offer a good view of what is happening around you .Unfortunately my commute also takes in some expressway / freeway ; fairly open in places , so the heavier Bandit suits  it a little better................the smaller bike would certainly be easier to play in the traffic with though .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 06 Jul 2017, 3:42 pm

paul wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:Great idea for a thread. Thanks.

Is the MV expensive to service ?.....

Yes and almost at 12,000km I'm about to find out how many kidney's they want.
You could do oil and filter yourself like any other bike but a service history with these means everything at resale time.
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Image_47

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 06 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm

The specs look pretty good on paper ; I could be in trouble though, I only have one kidney Laughing ................... ( I think it was about time we had a section incorporated, to cover the changing  face / demographic of  our forum .  Very Happy )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 06 Jul 2017, 7:38 pm

paul wrote:The specs look pretty good on paper ; I could be in trouble though, I only have one kidney Laughing ................... ( I think it was about time we had a section incorporated, to cover the changing  face / demographic of  our forum .  Very Happy )
Did you check the 2014 specs? Current standard Brutale is down on the 2014

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
paul wrote:The specs look pretty good on paper ; I could be in trouble though, I only have one kidney Laughing ................... ( I think it was about time we had a section incorporated, to cover the changing  face / demographic of  our forum .  Very Happy )
Did you check the 2014 specs? Current standard Brutale is down on the 2014
Yep , Euro4 strikes again ..............although they claim more low to mid-range torque as a trade off for top end power .

http://bikereview.com.au/2016-mv-agusta-brutale-800-review/

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:38 pm

Come on @Paul I still have a bandit mate. Don't feel lonely.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 08 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

reddog wrote:

lol!  I just thought it would be a shame for people who had been on here for so long to feel they had to drift away & loose touch because of a brand / type change .It had always been an unofficial understanding anyway & now there is no awkward feeling & a place to post something up .It's still a Bandit site , but it is always interesting to hear about other bikes / experiences etc....................otherwise ,RD it may end up just you & me chatting away on here  ...............not that there is anything wrong with that Laughing .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:48 am

paul wrote:
reddog wrote:

lol!  I just thought it would be a shame for people who had been on here for so long to feel they had to drift away & loose touch because of a brand / type change .It had always been an unofficial understanding anyway & now there is no awkward feeling & a place to post something up .It's still a Bandit site , but it is always interesting to hear about other bikes / experiences etc....................otherwise ,RD it may end up just you & me chatting away on here  ...............not that there is anything wrong with that Laughing .

I'll still be here cheers
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 09 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
reddog wrote:

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Me_too10

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 09 Jul 2017, 2:19 pm

barry_mcki wrote:
Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
reddog wrote:

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles Me_too10
That's almost enough to have a forum Question ....................Oh yeh ; wait a minute ................ lol!

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Sun 09 Jul 2017, 5:47 pm

I'm either getting a bit bored with my R1200RT or maybe I'm scared to put too many more kays on it because I know eventually it will need a new clutch and the job involved in doing that is huge mega and I'd rather just trade it in or sell it because when I do take it out for a day I get a really sore arse. I've done about 98k kay on it.

I 'm a bit over the twin cylinder feel as well (ironic as I traded the gsx1250 because the 4 cylinder buzz was getting to me) and I'm thinking I might like something much lighter and less of a tourer and probably with 3 cylinders ... heck as long as its got 2 wheeels I'll be happy.

I took a kawa Z900 for a demo ride during the international festival of speed which was good but it felt more like a really great commuter than anything else. I also took a triumph 800 xcx for a run and that felt ok and it has cruise control but they was something like $19000 for one. MT09 is looking good and I want to try one out (I think James Coleman is pretty happy with his) and the price is very attractive.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 10 Jul 2017, 9:07 am

And an added bonus ..............you get to test ride lots of new bikes Baz cheers

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm

Baz wrote:I'm either getting a bit bored with my R1200RT or maybe I'm scared to put too many more kays on it because I know eventually it will need a new clutch and the job involved in doing that is huge mega and I'd rather just trade it in or sell it because when I do take it out for a day I get a really sore arse. I've done about 98k kay on it.

I 'm a bit over the twin cylinder feel as well (ironic as I traded the gsx1250 because the 4 cylinder buzz was getting to me) and I'm thinking I might like something much lighter and less of a tourer and probably with 3 cylinders ... heck as long as its got 2 wheeels I'll be happy.

I took a kawa Z900 for a demo ride during the international festival of speed which was good but it felt more like a really great commuter than anything else. I also took a triumph 800 xcx for a run and that felt ok and it has cruise control but they was something like $19000 for one. MT09 is looking good and I want to try one out (I think James Coleman is pretty happy with his) and the price is very attractive.

JoshB on ASB did the clutch on his Beemer. If you are in the same neck of the woods maybe you can hit him up to do it for you as he seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:39 pm

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles IMG_0467_zpstxhjbqch
Yam 400
Too slow in the country .
Kick start only was annoying ,esp. when at the front waiting for a GREEN , it stalls .
Bought for $1000 in pieces ,I actually made a nice profit .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 26 Aug 2017, 7:59 pm

Are previous Bandit riders who changed (more than once) brands and now no longer ride, or as of yesterday don;t even own a bike anymore, allowed to drop in from time to time Question 

Too bad, I just did Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles 959052286

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next