Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

+16
Ironman
madmax
paul
reddog
jaba01
Daffy
2wheelsagain
Jimcoleman
NZspokes
mtbeerwah
F
gus
truck
dhula
Baz
barry_mcki
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 Empty Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  paul Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Due to the amount of friends on this forum who now own different model / brand , or type of motorcycles and who still frequent this site ,this is somewhere to post your stuff . I am sure we would all enjoy & even benefit  from hearing your tales . 
General banter & ribbing is to be expected ......................respect for other peoples choices is a must .
If this thread works , perhaps it can be made a sticky .............or separate title . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 Empty Re: Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  madmax Fri 02 Mar 2018, 4:59 pm

F wrote:Well if 0ne is a dual citizen I guess one can still stay on the forum?!
I have just purchase a MT-09 tracer but still have the gsx so I hope this make me eligible!.
I really enjoy this place so I'll keep listening in.
Cheers .
F Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 879736519

We don't kick any ex bandit owner out, unless you buy a Harley, then your on your own......

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 Empty Re: Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles

Post  reddog Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:43 pm

Agree with that @madmax
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 29 Jun 2020, 6:22 pm

Those of you that know me from Facebook would know that I had an off back in April, April fools day to be precise, hmmn maybe there's something in that scratch

So my beautiful BMW R1200RS is no more. After sustaining over $23k in damages the insurance company made the right choice and wrote it off.
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200412

Those Rocker covers are damn expensive, and the crash bars are useless! The boxer engine does save your legs though  Smile
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200411

The $10k bolt hole! $7500 for a short motor plus the labour to change it over
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200413

All the internal support panels were fractured. This broken alloy frame supports the display screen, headlights and front panels, around $1500 to replace
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200414

This photo shows the undamaged left side crash bar. You can see it sits even lower than the gear shift
They had only been installed a bit over a week.  At the time of the accident I felt something touch on the ground, it wasn't the foot peg
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200415

The replacement Very Happy
BMW R1250RS, essentially an update of the same bike. BMW have done some marvellous work on the engine. Now 1254cc (up from 1170) this extra 84cc plus a variable intake camshaft takes the engine performance to 100kW/136hp@7750rpm & 143Nm@6250rpm. As expected power is strong and effortless from standstill  Smile
Other features added from the previous include a 6.5" TFT colour screen, that is so much easier to view than the old one. However it is too much menu driven for my liking.
Hill start control, I like this feature. Stop on an incline and release and snatch the front brake quickly and the rear brake will hold until you twist the throttle
Led lighting all round including the headlights.
Then all the usual features that the older model had including
Heated grips, Cruise control, Electronic Suspension Adjustment, Automatic stability control, Cornering ABS, Dynamic Traction Control, Keyless Ride, Quick shifter, TPMS and daytime running lamps
As the frame is basically the same from the seat rearwards so all my pannier racks from the old bike can be reused
Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 20200510

I looked at the R1250RS last year and dismissed trading in for the update. The change over price would not have made it worthwhile.
With 30,000ks on the 1200 I was really getting to love riding it. As I had been a little unsure of it at first but that engine loosened up and was a gem I was happy to keep it for many more years. The accident gave me the opportunity to update to the newer model, even though I was left a little out of pocket.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 29 Jun 2020, 7:03 pm

The cost of the repair is staggering , but at least something good came of it . So do you think the crash bar was the cause of the accident ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 29 Jun 2020, 7:45 pm

paul wrote:The cost of the repair is staggering , but at least something good came of it . So do you think the crash bar was the cause of the accident ?
There's a guy on the R1250rs Facebook page that put his down on a bend because of loose gravel. They wrote his off too, us$14k
The rocker cover was us$1700  Shocked

I do, and I was talking to a mechanic at BM Motorcycles where Kim's bike was repaired and he said that it has happened before. 
So I won't be fitting them on the new one.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 30 Jun 2020, 7:38 am

That would explain why you felt like you'd done nothing different going around that roundabout than the dozens of previous times.

Were the crash bars OEM or aftermarket?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 30 Jun 2020, 8:20 am

Chook wrote:That would explain why you felt like you'd done nothing different going around that roundabout than the dozens of previous times.

Were the crash bars OEM or aftermarket?
Aftermarket,  Puig brand. Probably ok on a GS

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 Empty Returning member

Post  Ironman Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:41 am

Would the group consider a GSX650F as a Bandit?

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:38 am

Ironman wrote:Would the group consider a GSX650F as a Bandit?
I don't see why not.

It's the same engine and frame as the 650 Bandit sold overseas

If we excluded yours we'd have to exclude the GSX1250FA which is accepted on here
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Fri 26 Mar 2021, 1:31 pm

That's good to hear. After not riding a bandit since 2017 I found a 650F and couldn't hold back. I owned one similar back in 2010 when it was new and enjoyed it. I'll have to go and do all the mods again as this one is stock.
Tomorrow is a full fluids and filters change day.
Must say I have missed the goings on in this forum since I ditched social media platforms. Been riding other bikes, but more relaxed cruiser and adventure touring.

Ironman
Ironman

truck and madmax like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Fri 26 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm

Enjoy the new toy 🏍👍

Ironman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Thu 01 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

Ironman wrote:
Gotta say I love it. Great for 2 up riding. Purely on road riding.
I had its granddaddy, a TL 1000 S. Motor was amazing. I will be in the market for an adventure bike as an additional bike (and I ride once in the blue moon!) when my wallet puts on some weight. Regrettably, it won't be the V Strom as I want wire wheels and where I am we get only mags. 

Regards
Stan L
South Africa

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Tue 01 Feb 2022, 3:48 pm

Reviving this thread to say g'day to the few friends I made a few years back.
I have to admit to going awal since ditching my 1250.
I did really like the bike, it was plenty for me, the seat problems I had were well documented but the deal breaker for me was the wind noise. I've had a couple of other bikes since then but the whole time I was lusting after a GSX1400, I test rode one at a dealer, it was a pig but I got enough out of it to think I wanted one, they were not plentiful and money wasn't either but in Feb 2020 I bought a K7 one that was in Orange NSW. I've still got it and because it's a naked the wind noise is about average, with ear plugs it's not an issue.
It's very similar to the 1250 in a lot of ways although it's air cooled and looks way better IMO. Power/torque are quite similar but the winner would be the Bandit for sure but not by much. I had Mick at MJM in Goulburn do the seat for me. I still have arse pain issues and I think it will always be the case.
Right now the bike is over at Suspension Smith in Canberra getting new fork springs and valves.
While I'm a Member over at the GSX1400 forum, the folks here made me feel more welcome than over there and today I decided to post this little note to let you all know I'm still alive and still riding and still riding a Suzuki, I have no plans to ever get rid of it, I'm really happy with it.Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 E12

Last edited by Nic 2 on Tue 01 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : pic)
Nic 2
Nic 2

paul, GSX1100G and Stan L like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 01 Feb 2022, 9:46 pm

Nice looking bike  Tales from the dark side. A thread for riders of other motorcycles - Page 3 959052286

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Tue 01 Feb 2022, 11:30 pm

N wrote:While I'm a Member over at the GSX1400 forum, the folks here made me feel more welcome than over there...
Good looking bike, and yes, if I ever quit my Bandit I'd miss this forum. I mean, look where I'm posting from! 

Regards
Stan L
South Africa

Stan L

paul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Wed 02 Feb 2022, 6:22 am

Nice, I've always been a fan of the GSX1400
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3