Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Aliiiiive!!!

+9
Ironman
paul
2wheelsagain
BanditDave
reddog
Ewok1958
Jimmy the Boy
Bosco15
madmax
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

It's Aliiiiive!!! Empty It's Aliiiiive!!!

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Apr 2017, 2:42 pm

Gday everyone, sorry for the extended break, no real reason. I hope you are all well. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

It's Aliiiiive!!! Empty Re: It's Aliiiiive!!!

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

I would like to pick your brains. Has anyone got an opinion (yes we all have ) on the Suzuki M90 Boulevard? I know I know it's a cruiser but I'm getting old. There looks to be a very nice example on Bikesales in Coffs ( who lives there?) and I need a really comfy 2 up bike. My beloved TL will have to go Sad. I know nothing about them except they are supposed to handle a lot better than the M109R and they're cheaper to buy and rego. And I hate the headlight setup on them both but I could learn to live with that. Hope to hear from a few of you soon. Cheers "The artist formally known as" Jimmy the Boy. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 03 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

Christ mate! I thought you'd dropped off the planet!

Chook and I was in your woods a couple of weeks ago, past through Wagga Wagga on our way to Sydney for the Festival of Speed. Stopped and did a couple of laps of Bathurst too.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:09 pm

From what I can gather , the M90 is easier to live with handling wise / weight wise ( & rear Tyre cost-wise ).............never ridden one though 
Good to know you haven't swam off into the sunset with all the other ducks JTB  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

madmax wrote:Christ mate! I thought you'd dropped off the planet!

Chook and I was in your woods a couple of weeks ago, past through Wagga Wagga on our way to Sydney for the Festival of Speed. Stopped and did a couple of laps of Bathurst too.
Yeah I'm sorry MM I just got Chooks PM today when I logged on.  Rolling Eyes I would have caught up with you at The Farrer for sure.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

Elvis has not left the building! Welcome back JTB. I recently sold our XVS1100, not an M90 but pretty similar. I actually loved riding it (I posted some info on the forum in response to a question young Cam posed as he was interested in a cruiser - so you don't have to be old to want one). The riding style makes you feel like you're a Californian cop from the 80s (but that's probably because I watched Chips!)  But they are fun to punt along, and the XVS did corner respectably so I imagine the M90 might be similar. On a sunny morning, I'd take the XVS over the Bandit just to get out and about and have some relaxed fun riding. I would have preferred the bar-seat-peg relationship of the M90 to the XVS because I have longer arms - I was going to look into changing the bars on the XVS to be more M90 like. You really can have a lot of fun in very relaxed comfort provided you don't think you're on a sports bike (I did own the Fireblade at the same time so I was used to switching between seriously fecking insane power and speed, and cruiser fun).  Like all things these days, Google can answer most questions about issues, problems, etc. As a result I put a heavy duty Wilbers rear shock in the XVS for two-up touring which was a massive improvement (the standard rear shock was only rated at 500lbs and many after-market 800lb options were available, including just changing the spring). If you're doing two-up you might want to research that on the M90. 

I'd buy a cruiser again but not for attacking my favorite curved roads.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:54 pm

Elvis is still in the building (that pub at Cowra Laughing ). Thanks for that Dave. Yeah I saw you just sold the XVS earlier today, I would have bought that off you no dramas at all. I really like the Triumph Thunderbird but too much research has put me off them. The M90 is on Bikesales and is neat as a pin and I don't know what they're worth but it seems a good price?? Have a look if you like and tell me what you think? It's the Burgundy one and its up first at $7990 Very Happy. Good to hear from you mate, and you to Paul, thank you to you too. Cheers boys.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:59 pm

Welcome back, Jimmy. 
Cruisers are great so long as you don't try to ride it like a sports bike. Like Ewok said. 
I owned a Vulcan 1600 for a while. Got a hardtail '65 W1SA, atm.
Kiwi Steve is in the Coffs area.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

Gday Bosco, I don't even ride a sports bike like a sports bike Laughing. I'm reluctant to get a cruiser but really don't have a choice. The TL just sits in the shed as it's now impractical to my needs. I wouldn't have put 1000Kms on it since the Cowra trip 2 years ago. Sad but true. Oh yeah, I forgot about my lanolin intolerant friend Steve Very Happy.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 04 Apr 2017, 7:46 am

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Elvis is still in the building (that pub at Cowra Laughing ). Thanks for that Dave. Yeah I saw you just sold the XVS earlier today, I would have bought that off you no dramas at all. I really like the Triumph Thunderbird but too much research has put me off them. The M90 is on Bikesales and is neat as a pin and I don't know what they're worth but it seems a good price?? Have a look if you like and tell me what you think? It's the Burgundy one and its up first at $7990 Very Happy. Good to hear from you mate, and you to Paul, thank you to you too. Cheers boys.

It looks the goods and the ad reads well. I'd definitely want to look at it if I was buying one. I bought the XVS1100 sight unseen because the bloke selling it was my age and sounded genuine and honest. Not always to be trusted I know but it worked out well for me. He had also upgraded to the M109 so he was selling the smaller bike for a genuine reason. I like the fact that the 2010 M90 has EFI - the XVS was carb fed.

Yep, definitely worth a look. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 04 Apr 2017, 7:59 am

Suzuki also do the c109 which gets rid if that stupidly large rear tyre to something smaller that will corner. Might be worth test riding at your local dealers before getting too set on a particular model
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Tue 04 Apr 2017, 12:07 pm

I had a Suzuki Marauder (predecessor to the C50) for a number of years and found that the forward controls put all of your body weight on your tail bone which was OK up to about 100Km then not so good.

I moved from that to an 06 Bandit and found the change absolutely amazing not to mention the performance.

That was replaced by an 09 Bandit which also pleased me.

My next bike was a Honda CBR650F which I did not enjoy at all.

Two years ago I sat on a Suzuki VStrom and knew comfort once again and bought one without even a test ride.

Even though my VStrom is only a 650 I have seen them being used two up with panniers, top box and tank bag.

There is also a DL1000 if your needs are for more performance. I personally find the 650 more than adequate.

A brand new DL650 is presently "ride away" brand new for less than $10K

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 07 Apr 2017, 5:28 pm

Welcome back JTB

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122434752467

Here's a hell of a lot of cruiser for not a lot of money. So far.

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:34 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122434752467

Here's a hell of a lot of cruiser for not a lot of money. So far.
Wonder what the reserve price is ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:00 am

No reserve listed. 
I'll have it if I can get it for $5G or less. 
Not that I need another bike.  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:18 am

Thank you to Bandit Dave for all that info,I have looked at the V Stroms but I'm not sure about them. I have a mate with the 650 and I know he'd give me a ride of it so I might Tee that up. And thank you Red Dog for your wise words as always. Gday Chris.  That victory is a nice bike Bosco, I'll keep an eye on it. The M90 was just sold prior to him returning my calls, oh well that's life.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sun 09 Apr 2017, 5:01 pm

I can offer a brief endorsement of a DL1000.
I have just completed a 335km trip two up from gold coast to mt glorious to Kilkoy to Caboolture and back to the gold coast.
That's not even 1 tank of fuel. 3 stops. all for coffee / food / nature relief.
Going from a bandit 2 up to a strom 2 the best way to describe it is my partner and I are home now, have cleaned our gear put it all away, Mandy is now cooking me gluten free scones, I'm looking at ebay and stuff...
When we did similar on the GSF1250S with lowered pegs, bar risers, touring screens, top box and things we needed pethidine injections even before we made it back home.
+1 for a Vstrom any size.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sun 09 Apr 2017, 5:31 pm

Thanks very much Ironman ( I hope your named after the Black Sabbath classic not the Marvel Character Smile )I will definitely take my mates 650 for a spin now. I also know another fella who traded his DL1000 in on a Triumph Tiger 1050 and swears by it! You can't win Razz.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sun 09 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

And yet I can distinctly remember another member from years ago who bought a tiger but got a lemon.
I like my 1000. I think its awesome. Just needs a 1 tooth smaller countershaft sprocket or a gear in between 1st and 2nd.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 09 Apr 2017, 6:06 pm

Kiwisteve loves his Tiger
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:54 pm

The Flagship, ultimate tourer, cruiser of cruisers. 
I test rode one and have wanted one ever since. 
The 300+ kg's melt away as soon as you exceed 5km/h and she rides amazingly well on twisties. 
All the bells and whistles including electronic cruise control and speed sensitive stereo. 
This one has slowly been coming down from $18k and I think that you would ride it away if you wafted $12k under his nose. 
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132152602855

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:07 am

Holy Shit!! I've seen some ugly bikes in my time.......
I actually saw one in the flesh at Tumbarumba a few weeks ago and it was a monster.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:51 am

Yep, those Victory bikes have got to win the fugly contest.

Actually, some parts of the VStrom look a bit strange however you can put a red or blue milk crate on the back seat with ocky straps and it doesn't look any worse. I think it is just slightly better than most BMW adventure bikes and somewhat cheaper.

Having owned both an 06 Bandit and an 09 Bandit, I would suggest the VStrom is heaps more comfortable, big comfortable seat and soft suspension. The pillion seat is also very comfortable.

They share the same technology as the Bandit so are very easy to work on and cheap for parts.

They also share the same shortcomings so the addition of a headlight relay kit (~$12) and maybe HID lights will make a world of difference.

I get 4.0litres/100Km from my 650. My original set of tyres lasted 14,000Km but would have been OK up to 16,000Km. I have replaced them with Michelin Anakee III.

I have done a little "bush bashing" with good results (i.e. I didn't fall off!) but I consider the bike is more for road use.

Check out the StromTrooper forum for lots of info (and also lots of utter crap!)

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 10 Apr 2017, 3:18 pm

Okay it seems I'm now looking at a DL1000 ( I'm easily lead Razz ). I can vouch for the engine as I have had 2 TLS's. It's all about the pillion comfort and it does look pretty good. I've made an enquiry to an owner of one on Bikesales so we will see what happens?? If someone in the know would like to have a gander and tell me if they think it's value I would greatly appreciate it. It's on page 2 and it's black with Akcropovic Pipes, 13000Kms and it's $8900 in SA. It's certainly the best one on there but I'm wondering what I should be paying? It will probably be sold anyway knowing my luck:). If it's not, is Vista anywhere near you Chook or Paul??
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum