Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery rough-running problem - please help

+4
reddog
mtbeerwah
#Tag
Normanby
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mystery rough-running problem - please help - Page 2 Empty Mystery rough-running problem - please help

Post  Normanby Fri 15 Jan 2016, 1:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hoping for some help from the Brains Trust to get my Bandit running right.

It’s a long story, but the important points are:

• It’s a 1997 Bandit 1200 with some modifications.
  • These problems only show up when the engine is HOT.
  • It won’t rev above 6k RPM, at which point it fits and farts like it’s hitting a dodgy rev limiter or something.
  • At lower speeds it runs rough, as if it were only on two cylinders, and this symptom clears somewhat when the throttle is opened wider.
  • One of the modifications is an Acewell digital dash, on which the gear indicator behaves weirdly, giving a reading that I’m in 8th gear.

The mechanic at the moment is looking into the possibility that there’s something going wrong with the relationship between the Throttle Position Indicator, the Gear Position Indicator, the CPU and thus the timing.

Is there anything I can tell him that is a known trouble spot on these older Bandits?

I’ve already spent an eye-watering amount of $ chasing this problem, from a Dyno run (where the bloody thing behaved perfectly), a new (S/H) air box and K&N filter, new coils (they were arcing across to the engine) and leads & plug caps & Iridium plugs.

While it’s nice to know that the bike has some new bits, none of them improved the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've put this up on the FB page too, and i'll probably be able to check that more frequently, because this forum is really hard to read on the phone.

Matt
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Mystery rough-running problem - please help - Page 2 Empty Re: Mystery rough-running problem - please help

Post  WISA Thu 21 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

G'day Normanby,

How much mileage has the bike got?

Do the plugs come out clean after a proper warm up and run or do they  foul/carbon-up?

Are the valve clearances/adjustment  properly with-in spec?

WISA

Back to top Go down

Mystery rough-running problem - please help - Page 2 Empty Re: Mystery rough-running problem - please help

Post  paul Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:39 pm

Have you checked if the the air vent / hole in your tank is clear & not blocked causing the tank to pressurise after a while ( try opening the fuel cap after it is playing up to check ) .....................Just a funny thought I had , it happened to me on a previous bike I had  .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:57 pm

Not a bad idea mate. A friend of mine had an XT Yamaha that a wasp had made a home in the breather. He always had problems within a couple of kms from home
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Normanby Fri 22 Jan 2016, 11:26 am

I'll ask if that's been checked, but meanwhile...

The Signal Generator Rotor: The mechanic tells me that the little locator screw on the plate had fallen out and allowed the Rotor to damage itself. This might be also have smacked into the pulse coil pickup. 

This was discovered when he went to replace the pulse coil, though I'm a little surprised that he claims to have "checked everything with the ignition system" yet had not taken the cover off to look inside.

Can anyone help me locate the part: A "Rotor, Signal Generator", Suzuki part number 33120-19C20 which is the little star-shaped plate that tells the little pulse coils what to do. I've rung around several wreckers and Suzuki Aust and can't seem to locate one. I have a query up on www.findapart.com.au but no replies yet.
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 23 Jan 2016, 4:15 am

There should be quiet a few rotor bungs getting around, as people do replace them for 5* advancers

I wish you could have done some of this check list yourself, to find out what`s with wrong your bike.

Every minute its been dealt with by the business, its costing you a lot of money, as its a process of elimination.
Also, you then know things have definitely been checked.

I hate giving my bike or car to anyone, as I don`t trust anyone.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Normanby Sat 23 Jan 2016, 11:18 am

I hear ya, now that i've fallen down this rabbit hole i feel the same way.
I live in a 3rd floor apartment and have no garage, and i don't have very many tools yet either. Even so, i wish i'd tackled it myself, perhaps in a friend's garage. It's just that i thought it might be a simple fix, and i'll let a 'professional' tackle it because it ought to be faster that me with my meagre facilities.
Lesson learnt...

I'll start another thread in the Buy, Swap & Sell section just for this part.
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 23 Jan 2016, 11:41 am

Have you talked to the previous owner to see if he had a similar problem before & what it was ? Might be worth a shot .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Normanby Sat 23 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

(Edit):

Previous owner got back to me and has supplied me with an un-damaged signal generator rotor, bless his cotton socks.

It'll be installed tomorrow, i'll post here with the test ride results after that.
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2