Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info

3 posters

Go down

GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Empty GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 12 Oct 2014, 9:19 pm

GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0037GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0036GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0035GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0034GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0033GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Img_0032

I changed my shock today, and thought I would put up a few photos, to whom it may concern, if one was to put a GSXR1000 (07-08) shock into a Gen 1

The photos show clearances, and height after the shock swap.

The dog bones will have to be lengthened by approximately 3-5mm, to bring the over all height back down a bit, and I had to put 1.6mm washers behind the dog bones, to give clearance for the spring. 

As you can see by the last photo, I had to scallop the centre stand stop mount, to avoid hitting the swing arm with standard exhaust system. Once the dog bones have been changed, there would be no reason to do so, but for the time being, this eliminates fouling, and wont upset the integral strength of that point.

The battery box had to be trimmed as you can see in photo 3. This bit of plastic, from what I can see serves no purpose anyway, and your not cutting into the molded gusset, supporting the battery, so your not losing strength, and its not stopping dirt or road grime, as there`s a rubber weather flap there, that I have folded up, that you can`t see in the photos, while I was taking photos, so all good there.

At the current height, it is slightly more switchy in tight corners, given the closer wheel base, given the extra height being the out come without altering the dog bones.

For my personal feel, I will drop the total current height, down 25mm, to give the rideability I want.

Anyone with an older Bandit, should check all the bearing links for grease, as this one had been neglected.

I had this laying around for a long time, as it was in my other Bandit at one stage, and the standard shock in this Gen 1, was stuffed so needed fixing or changing, and is far superior to stock anyway.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Empty Re: GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info

Post  reddog Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:52 am

Good work. I'll show this thread to my mate whom happens to have an 07 shock sitting in his shed along with a Gen1. He was going to fit it at some stage, looks like you have done all the hard work for him regarding clearance and dog bone length
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info Empty Re: GSXR1000 (07-08) Shock into Gen 1 Info

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 13 Oct 2014, 7:50 pm

reddog wrote:Good work. I'll show this thread to my mate whom happens to have an 07 shock sitting in his shed along with a Gen1. He was going to fit it at some stage, looks like you have done all the hard work for him regarding clearance and dog bone length
there maybe a slight discrepancy in height reddog, and I only mean slight.

When I bought this shock, I proceeded to put a stiffer, "race tech" spring on it, and gold valved the whole thing-compression and rebound.

The standard spring was a bit to soft for my Gen 2, and I accounted for me, 85kg, plus another 20kg of luggage.

In reality, I think this spring is too stiff, and that's after the sag, and static sag has been set with me alone on the bike.

If you mate doesn`t carry anyone, and is a naked (not knowing his weight) he maybe able to just screw the spring up to suit him.

Setting the static sag will tell him if the spring is right or not. It should have between 5-10mm of static. Less than 5, to stiff, more than 10, to soft. This should be checked, after the sag has been set, of about 35mm.

At the end of the day, even in its standard form, it will be far greater then stock. Plush and controllable, as opposed to shit.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg62 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 6:45 pm

I put an 08 Gsxr shock in my 2004 1200 today.

I had a set of longer dog bones made when I bought the bike and when I originally installed them the rear try would touch the ground when the bike is on the centre stand.

With the new shock being about 5 or 6 mm shorter than the original one, the rear tyre now just clears the ground.  Not as much as standard.

This gives me back the advantage of being able to lube the chain etc once again.

On the original factory settings I found that the spring was too soft, so I upped the preload a bit.

with just me I have 29mm of sag.  But as I often ride with my wife, this will be perfect.

I have taken it for a quick spin and I am happy with how it is handling.

I will need another run down the Putty to compare properly.

So far so good.

Now it's time to have some new oil and some progressive springs put in the front.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down